*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910977-The-Nature-of-Stupid
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Essay · Educational · #910977
My definition of Stupididy, and a clarification of the concept.
What is it about someone that makes someone else decide they are “stupid?” What quality or personality trait or action defines the term? Or can any single event define it? What do I have to do for a colleague to look at me and say “Wow, Collin, that was a really stupid thing to do. You probably shouldn’t do that again.”

Does anyone really know? I haven’t the foggiest idea.

Well, that’s not exactly true… I have put some thought into it, and have decided the following:

1. The term “stupid” is overused and applied in many situations to which it shouldn’t.

2. The main use of the word, such as in the case when a person is called stupid for not planning ahead, or making a wrong move in a game, implies that “stupidity” stems from making bad or wrong decisions.

3. The second main use of the word, such as when a person is called “stupid” when they can’t seem to figure out something simple or straightforward, implies that “stupid” stems from deficient thought processes or logic.

Now of these three observations, one might conclude that because the word is used in different situations with different circumstances, it really has several definitions. Well, if you look in dictionaries, you will find that there are several definitions.

I believe, though, that the word has only one definition that lies beneath all of those listed on Dictionary.com.

What do I mean by that? Well, I will start first by clearing up another point that is the basis of my argument here.

I would like to ask whoever is reading this what they think causes bad or wrong decisions. Well, what do you think? Are bad decisions made from purely evil intentions? Do they come from people who simply don’t have enough experience? Or do they happen only when one is distracted or tired?

Actually, none of the above. Or better yet, some of the above to a degree, and others not at all.

Huh? Yeah, I suppose that is s bit cryptic, but what can I say? What I can say is this: In my mind, I see one main cause of bad decisions, and that is the lack of sufficient or correct data.

Have you ever heard the phrase “Garbage in, garbage out?” Probably, since I just said it. That simple phrase, though hackneyed, is still true.

How can a person possibly make a good decision of what to do if he doesn’t know what options there are? He needs more information. How can someone predict the outcome of some event accurately if he has corrupted data? He needs more information. How many awesome decisions are made by people who can’t see the whole picture, or can’t see the picture clearly? I’ll tell you how many. None.

This idea is not new; indeed, it has been known for quite some time, but people forget what really causes bad decisions. I can assure you that everyone tries to make good decisions, but some fail for lack of data. No one you will ever meet works differently. Even decisions made by the criminally insane are made only because they convince themselves that they don’t have any choice, or something was needed for survival that they had to have.

Now, about this time you are probably wondering what this tangent has to do with the original topic. Well, be patient, I am getting there.

Okay, so now that we are working under the assumption that bad decisions and lack of foresight can both be attributed to a lack of data, I can pull together the last few pieces of this argument and we can both go back to doing whatever else it is we would rather be doing right now.

“Stupidity,” by extension then, could be defined as “a state in which people lack sufficient data to make correct decisions or preparations.” That is not all of it yet, though, because this broad definition could apply to just about everyone, and we both know that everyone can’t be stupid. At least not simultaneously…

What am I missing? Well, here it is. A “stupid” person does lack the data he or she needs, but the term “stupid” only applies when that person either neglects to collect that information, or lacks the ability to collect it. By this I mean either he or she ignores the signs, or can’t see them, for whatever reason. In both cases, though, the lack of sight is willing. That is key. A person who doesn’t see something, but knows he or she doesn’t see it and tries to remedy the situation is the extreme opposite of a “stupid” person. Rather, he or she is called a student, or a “smart” person.

That sounds good doesn’t it? I like that explanation. But, in the full engineering spirit of the KISS principle, I believe that I can simplify that statement a bit.

The ability to collect information, handily, already has a name. It is called awareness, and everyone posses it, to some degree.

So, in conclusion, I would like to say that my personal definition of “stupid,” as applied to people, is willing unawareness.

Now, if you already know all of this, then I’m sorry I’ve wasted a few minutes of your time. But, as this information has never made clear to me before, I decided that it was worth compiling into a nice essay with a catchy title so that people can better understand the concept, at least as I see it, anyway.
© Copyright 2004 Coldarn (coldarn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910977-The-Nature-of-Stupid