*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/957587-An-Experiment
by Moray
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #957587
Written for daily flash fiction contest, won first place!
         Professor Shirley McNuttley splashed her latest failure down the biohazard disposal chute.

         Once again, Shirley was thwarted in her quest to become published in one of the big scientific journals that she admired. To be taken seriously by her colleagues was Shirley’s goal in life.

         Shirley cracked her knuckles, anticipating success, and resumed her experiment. The plan was to create a solution to the world’s greatest problem. When she solved it, the editors of “Scientific American” would find it impossible disregard her.

         Consulting her long list of chemicals, Shirley began mixing. She measured each ingredient precisely until they were all in a large test tube. Then, the whole mixture was ceremoniously dumped into a petri dish and carefully heated over a Bunsen burner. Eventually, it was complete. Better, it was a success!

         Professor McNuttley paged her superior, Mr Fox, to the lab to congratulate her.

         “I’ve finally done it! I’ve cured world hunger! Look, the cure is small and easily transportable by bus or plane. It is nutritious and delicious and made possible entirely through science.” Shirley halted, waiting for Mr. Fox’s assessment of her discovery.

         “Yes Shirley,” Mr. Fox patted her shoulder reassuringly. “When they start giving out a Nobel Prize for muffin making I’m sure you’ll win first prize. Time to start the next project then?” He popped the muffin out of the petri dish and waved good-bye on his way out of the test kitchen.

         Mr. Fox, the president of Marvellous Muffins Inc., simultaneously took a bite of muffin and dialed his secretary on his cell.

         “We’ve got another winner here Delores. Tell the production line to prepare for a new flavour,” Mr. Fox chomped and laughed, “Everyone told me not to hire that nut job but damn it, she makes the best muffins in the world.”


Word count: 300 words exactly!

© Copyright 2005 Moray (moray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/957587-An-Experiment