*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/968801-Just-Another-Hero
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #968801
Sammy never thought she would meet the person who was a superhero
Superman is real?? Sonja hadn't heard a statement like that since she was in the foster home waiting to be placed. Her parents had put her up for adoption when she was two, but for reasons that Sonja couldn’t understand, people just didn’t want to adopt her. So, while they tried to find a home for Sonja, she was placed in many different foster homes.
Many boys had ran around with their coat stuck out like the back of a cape and yelled through the echoing hallways that they were Superman. Here she was seventeen years old. She had just met the guy she thought she could easily marry. Both of them began to almost know that the other was the one they were going to marry. She had overcome her past. An abusive adoptive mom, then meeting her biological parents who told her they gave only her away out of the nine children because she would die soon anyways and they couldn’t pay for all the medical treatment she would need throughout her life. And then she met Aaron. The one who said he was out to save the world. When she first met him she barely knew him. She knew him by name and only his personality. No looks mattered to her in this relationship.
She laughed him off in the beginning. What stuck out was his ability to write. The words poured from the open wounds that bled. He was human and he wasn't afraid to show the world his scars. But while he bled on both the inside and the out, he saved people from the hurtful fate of life. He watched one friend after another come to him and say they had gone too far.
"Why do you call yourself Superman?" she asked when their friendship had blossomed. She didn't want to even begin to imagine his answer.
"Because I am. I have helped people in more ways than you'll ever know," he casually replied.
She read his eyes. There was more to him and she was bound to find out. The more she got to know him the more she wanted to be with him. He indeed helped people. He sat with her one day as she laid out her whole past. The past that held fresh wounds, unanswered questions, and nightmares. But she didn’t tell him about the nightmares that occurred when her ex came over.
"Why do you hide so much?" he asked her one day. She never knew how a person who barely knew her, could tell that she was hiding. All she knew was that there was more to him than what he showed behind his invisible cape.
"I'm protecting myself," she answered one day.
"From what?" he asked quite curious now.
"From being used or hurt," she answered him.
"Would you ever put your guard down?" he challenged her.
"Maybe. Why?" she challenged back.
"Because maybe I'm falling hard for you and I want to know that when the day comes that I crash and I crash into you...you will take your mask off and show me who you really are," he poured out. Sonja was taken aback. Falling for her? He barely knew her. But at the same time, she barely knew him. She had two kids who were hers through a rape. She was miles away, but planning on moving due to her past. And in an odd way...she was falling just the same.
For once there was someone who didn’t know her past. He didn’t know that she was raped. He didn’t know that her adoptive mom who she ran away from was a prostitute and was trying to teach Sonja how to be one. She remembered that night that she met her ex boyfriend. He had come to the house to see Mother. She not only supplied him with his fantasies, but drugs as well. But Sonja was naïve. She didn’t know this and she grew to love him. He would sit while waiting for Mother to show up and talk to Sonja like a real human being. Not like these other guys who came to Mother for pleasure. It was the day Mother was taken to the ER. He came over high and began to take advantage of her. She just let him. She didn’t know how to fight back. And when he got the pleasure that he wanted, he left Sonja alone and in tears. Two months later she found out she was pregnant. Four months later from then, she found out with twins. It only took one time of being misused to bring a curse among her.
"Your heart belongs to another," she stated.
“That can be changed. Ever since you were put in my life you changed me," he spoke back.
And from there it began. The daily phone calls. The letters of affection. The heartache of waiting. And so much more. She didn't know how she could endure it. The distance and the cry for help that was going on inside of her. All she knew was that whatever more there was to Aaron, he was clutching her heart and soul and not letting her fade into the bleak darkness. He was saving her in more ways than she could count.
Everyone who met the famous Aaron through pictures or words fell in love with his personality, but no more than Sonja ever since he dumped the girl he was with to walk in faith by her side. Her world was turmoil and she was afraid of letting him in. Until one day he showed his scars and he took hers as well. She was the one, who usually cured the pain, but here he was saying fall into my arms and I’ll catch you no matter how many times you fall.
The Superman image was true. She could see why he said he was Superman. To every person he helped, he was just another superhero, but to her, he was her world. It continued that way through the wedding and the afterlife. He walked with her. He held her. He saw right through her and brought only the best out of her.
© Copyright 2005 woundedfighter (supermanshero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/968801-Just-Another-Hero