*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/999753-His-and-Hers
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #999753
Short narration of two people daydreaming about ironicaly each other.
NOTE- The two narrations are of two people at the same particular moment in time.

As the people trickled in for the weekly meeting he stood with his back to the stage and checked off the students from his dorm. all through the hall upperclassmen in the same shirt and tie completed the same task for their classmates. As his eyes darted around looking for familiar faces his eyes were drawn to her figure. It was something in the way she walked he could never really say what. She walked with such confidence and purpose. His mind wandered and he imagined that at times she did not actually walk at all, but glided slightly above the Earths surface.
She sat in her usual spot near the back of the long hall. He looked down at the clip board to avoid meeting her eye. Often he imagined himself mustering the courage to approach her in her solitude and by some amazing feet of wit, he did not think he possessed, he would sweep her off her feet.

His daydream was interrupted by the loud laugh and greeting of one of the freshmen on his hall commenting on the pick up basketball game from the evening before.

Returning to the quiet of his mind he rebuked himself since he felt he did not have a chance with a woman like her. She sat peacefully reading a book he recognized as a philosophy classic that one of the brightest of his professors frequently cited in class. Dissatisfied with the self degrading path his daydream had taken he abandoned it and engaged the freshman in conversation.

She carefully stepped her way through the large group of students hustling to check in on time with their Resident Assistants with their clip boards and ties. Thought they all dressed the same her eye always first landed on the same one. She couldn't help but notice the movement of his shoulders and gestures of his hands. She rushed past his row towards her seat near the rear of the hall. Her steps always softened as though to avoid detection. Reaching her seat she removed a book from her bag- it didn't matter what book she did not intend to read it. From this distance it was safe to observe him. She felt somehow as though through the distance she could read him. She knew it was all in her mind never the less she enjoyed it. He stood facing her as he waited for his dorm brothers to check-in. He stood so casually she felt as though he looked at home holding a clip board, wearing khakis and a tie.

She imagined herself ironing that blue shirt he wore and laying it over a chair. She was amused that she found herself taking joy in envisioning a life of domesticity with him. The sound technician interrupted her thoughts by calling for a sound check on the drums a rapid fire of percussion berated her ears as though punishment for her thoughts. Its harshness snapped her violently back to reality. She scoffed at her fantasy. She questioned whether her intellect would even be enough to captivate him for more than a moment and she quickly dismissed the notion that he might find her attractive in any respect. She began to read the book in her lap. She was relieved that it was heavy reading and would prevent her mind from returning to him.
© Copyright 2005 Hope Kelly (ohsooriginal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/999753-His-and-Hers