*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039393-10-18-22---Genres---Dystopian
Rated: E · Book · Opinion · #2282648
My thoughts about things.
#1039393 added October 19, 2022 at 7:40am
Restrictions: None
10-18-22 - Genres - Dystopian
Dystopian Worlds

A popular genre (though some type it as a sub-genre) of more recent years has been dystopian worlds. I've had the chance to read and/or watch a few. They have their own appeal for different reasons. Rooting for characters that have the deck stacked against them. Comparing the made-up world to the one we live in to see what message the creator is trying to relate to us.

Maze Runner, Hunger Games, the Divergent Series

These are all favorites of the younger generations today. They may highlight some problems that we have today and paint a bleak landscape, but I believe that is the surface of what they are.

**Was interrupted by life. TBC tomorrow**

Ok, so I'm back today to finish what I started last night.

The point I was trying to make yesterday is that I when I read dystopian books or watch the movies, I don't tend to get mired in the sadness that purveys the landscape they are painting for us. I am biding my time, waiting for the burst of rebellion or the spark of life that refuses to be squelched to show itself. Then begins the arduous task of the protagonist trying to fight for everyone's future, while still facing their own problems.

I guess maybe that is where I am choosing to guide my life these days. I don't want to be one of the ones swept into a crowd of apathetic individuals that are ready to accept that we're all doomed to fail, so why even try? There's too much of that these days and not enough of looking for the silver lining in the dark clouds.

That's not to say that I don't have my down times or difficult days, I do. We have to experience the downs to have the ups, but our goal should be to not dwell for long on the downs. The main characters of those stories are doing just that - fighting to keep going and make things better.

I thought of a few more stories like these last night before falling asleep - the Mad Max Series from the 80s, Gamer, and Ready Player One (the book - loved it - hated the movie, but it's still an example).

So, this post turned into a very disjointed meandering of my thoughts on the subject, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes!


© Copyright 2022 Mad(Hatter)die Stone (UN: stoland1999 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mad(Hatter)die Stone has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039393-10-18-22---Genres---Dystopian