*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058954-JAM-NIGHT
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2232903
My blog, where I store those thoughts rattling around my brain
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1058954 added November 5, 2023 at 1:54pm
Restrictions: None
JAM NIGHT
Somewhere in the outskirts of Rochester, a murmuring crowd gathers in a dimly lit basement. People filter downstairs and squeeze into the growing throng, lingering on the steps, heads poking through the doorway, grasping drinks as everyone waits for the first band to finish tuning.

This is Jam Night.

There is a buzz of excitement in the air, an undercurrent of nervous energy. It wasn’t instantly apparent to me but I quickly realized that for most of these musicians this was one of their first live performances. While there were a few hiccups and technical issues, each group displayed impressive talent. Unfortunately, you won’t find them on Spotify or YouTube. Not yet, at least. The sheer amount of raw potential I witnessed was exhilarating and I look forward to hearing more from these underground bands in the future. Keep your eye out for these up and comers, Rochester!

Public Decency unleashed a wonderful ‘American Boy’ rock cover which was both soulful and triumphant. All five members played with infectious enthusiasm, mirrored by a rollicking audience. I really enjoyed the solo which moved from guitar to drums, granting everyone a moment in the spotlight. It was a nice showcase of skill. This garage band is ready for the big stage and don’t let the name fool you. They are more than just ‘decent’.

Highlight: A buttery smooth transition between songs which was a pleasant surprise.

Dark Licorice came right out of the gate with an off-beat style that I would say is equal parts experimental and comedic. The variety of instruments they incorporated into their sound was fascinating. All the quirkiness added to an already entertaining show. It’s always fun when unexpected props show up out of nowhere. I was a bit too far away to notice the shaker used during a song was really just a box of Sour Patch Kids! This edible instrument was later shared with the crowd, revealing this group’s whimsical flavor is undeniably sweet.

Highlight: The “Silly Song” which brought a slide whistle into the mix.


Mt. Goose revved things up with some hardcore punk, starting the night’s first mosh pit. Despite a minor issue with the lead singer’s microphone, the roaring instrumentals had everyone thrashing and head-banging. The lead singer also demonstrated his prowess as a guitarist by playing with a spoon, then taking a break from a grueling song by laying down and playing from the floor. Eccentric and energetic, you’ll agree this band is a honking good time.

Highlight: The humorous song warning against taking the campus bus.


One Lomb Drive took the heavy vibe and ran with it. Things really got moving when the iconic intro to “Shove It” started, eliciting hoots and cheers. After that excellent Deftones rendition, the dial turned up to eleven with the debut of their first original song: a snarling metal ballad. “The Hunt” is an ode inspired by the gothic horror RPG ‘Bloodborne’. As a fan of the game, I really enjoyed the lyrics referencing overwhelming hunger and ferocity, reminding me of werewolves like Blood-Starved Beast.

Highlight: “The Hunt” was a devilishly brutal song! Seek the O.L.D. blood…

Slick Mick and the Novatones
got seriously funky with some fun crowd participation. After some catchy original songs, Slick Mick handed off the mike to a Novatone who busted out a spicy tune by the name of Blood Sugar Sex Magik. As each song progressed, it was clear this band was all killer and no filler. The crowd certainly thought so. That mosh pit nearly got out of control a few times!

Highlight: Slick Mick ensuring everyone in the crowd was well-hydrated.


While I wasn’t able to witness the ensuing shows and after party jam session, I want to shout out to the other performers: Thank You Ryan, Courtyard, DJ Mik, and DJ Ecnesa.

A big thank you to Mikaela for hosting this event and keeping everything running smoothly!

© Copyright 2023 Ray Scrivener (UN: rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ray Scrivener has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058954-JAM-NIGHT