*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058998-Saving-What
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest · #2268413
A place to keep my entries for various contests and challenges
#1058998 added November 5, 2023 at 11:52pm
Restrictions: None
Saving What?
Prompt: Daylight Saving Day - You have an extra hour for this one.

I have twenty minutes left to get my entry in on time! How can this be? Where's my extra hour?

Daylight savings time has always been my pet peeve, well one of them. How can changing the clock give an extra hour of daylight? The sun rises, the sun sets, and as the seasons progress, the ratio of day to night grows longer and shorter, but no matter what we do with the clock, it doesn't change; we don't gain nor lose an hour. It's like a blanket that's a foot too short, so should we cut twelve inches off the top and sew it to the bottom so it will cover our feet?

There's also the jet-lag effect of changing the clock. It takes but a minute to jump ahead, or if it's digital, perhaps it changes itself. But my body takes months to adjust to the time change in the spring. In fact, I don't fully adjust to it at all, but at least in the fall when we set the clocks back I quickly fall into rhythm again.

All in all, I see no point in it and feel we should do without it completely. I also read a lot of research that shows it's a waste of time and detrimental. But, some people like the clocks set ahead and an hour more in the evenings. I'm a morning person and that hour of daylight in the mornings. So who should get the hour of daylight, morning people or evening people?

I have a simple solution, split the difference and set the clocks ahead one half-hour, and then leave them alone. Call it median time or something, but for the sake of everyone's sanity, change them and then knock off this jumping back and forth.



A proud member of "WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group

"Reading soothes the soul, writing sets it free." T.J.

© Copyright 2023 tj ~ HiLo Silver - Away! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ HiLo Silver - Away! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058998-Saving-What