*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061722-Eve-Turns-to-Day
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest · #2268413
A place to keep my entries for various contests and challenges
#1061722 added January 1, 2024 at 9:15pm
Restrictions: None
Eve Turns to Day
For "Andre's Old2New Years Party"  

What did you do last night at Midnight WDC time? Here, it's one hour earlier, so it was one hour yet till midnight. I was struggling to stay awake through an episode of "Dragnet". Yeah, a real party people, I know. My wife and I both were very tired but decided to have a drink and try to stay up to greet the new year. We fixed drinks and watched the show, pausing when the clock in the dining room chimed midnight. At that time we wished each other a Happy New Year, did the same for our nephew who is staying with us, who was also still awake, then finished out show and went to bed.

Do you have any New Years Day traditions? We get up when the dogs decide we need to, wishing each other Happy New Year. Coffee is started, the two dogs are taken out, then my wife and I sit and enjoy our coffee and talk about any plans for the day. Most of the time there really isn't much going on for us, except for planning out dinner. We have, since we first got together, fixed a nice dinner for New Year's Day. I think this started because we have Christmas dinner with relatives who cannot cook! Other than a nice dinner, we don't spend the day any different than any other non-work day.



What's your thoughts on the enormous expansion of holiday lights and light pollution and those lights using electricity made from fossil fuels? First of all, I was unaware that ours, or any, holiday lights expanded. The best I can tell they're still the same size. Other than right now, I hadn't even given much thought. We have, as light strings quit working, replaced ours with LED lights. Even though they are cheaper to use, we have our outside lights on a timer so they only come on at dusk and turn off with the new day. Our lights on the tree are turned on after it gets dark, and we turn them off before we go to bed. And, we have been doing this since the turn of the century. As for light pollution, we only have three strings of lights outside the house, and the lights on the tree inside. Some of the people around us also put up lights for the holidays, but they don't over do them, so it's pleasing not pollution.

How was the fireworks and firecracker noise around you residence last night and was it enjoyable or not? I wasn't aware of any fireworks last night, it was quiet and peaceful in our area. We live in a rural area, so there's not a lot of people around us, and it's cold (18 degrees Fahrenheit last night) this far north, which tends to deter people from spending much time outside shooting off fireworks. There may have been some in the distance, but I wasn't outside after ten (last outing for the dogs) so I didn't hear any.










A proud member of "WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group

"Reading soothes the soul, writing sets it free." T.J.



A proud member of "WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group

"Reading soothes the soul, writing sets it free." T.J.

© Copyright 2024 tj ~ HiLo Silver - Away! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ HiLo Silver - Away! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061722-Eve-Turns-to-Day