*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1074661-To-be-a-Ranger
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Book · Fanfiction · #2324444
A young girl in Azeroth aspires to be a ranger, and on the way she falls in love.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1074661 added August 1, 2024 at 7:28pm
Restrictions: None
To be a Ranger

Sasha Wrynn already missed her cousin Erin terribly. Her constant companion of her childhood years had only recently departed to study mage craft with the Kirin Tor, in the faraway mystical city of Dalaran.

Sad as she was Sasha could not begrudge Erin this wondrous opportunity. Only those who showed the most prodigious talent were selected to attend this prestigious establishment. They had hugged one another and cried their tears of farewell at the Stormwind portal room. Erin would be far away and studying for many years all of the arcane arts, and hopefully one day she would become a full-fledged mage of the Kirin Tor.

Growing up the two cousins were inseparable, even in so far as being raised at the same breast. Sasha’s mother had died in childbirth, leaving her Father Devin Wrynn to care for her alone. As fortune would have it his sister-in-law Evelyn, had just given birth to Erin, allowing Devin in his grief a small respite from the worry of seeking out a wet nurse who was a stranger in Stormwind.

Hence the two families raised both Erin and Sasha Wrynn together, everyone often mistaking them for sisters. They were happy times. Devin who was very career-oriented never remarried, and he named his daughter Sasha after the woman he had loved and lost.

With her cherished cousin’s absence, and many of her close friends as well, as they all had been admitted to the appropriate colleges for their talents, Sasha today found herself quite alone. So she did what she often did, she rose early and set off for a day away from the cloying confines of the city's stone and mortar walls, into the surrounding Elwynn forest.

She had packed lunch, a ‘ranger’s luncheon,’ she had termed it, a simple haunch of some of her uncle Benjamin's best-smoked ham, he was very proud of his secret recipe. She was sure that in a few hours, she would work up quite the appetite. She didn’t bring a canteen, as there were abundant pools of water that were pristine and clear that she could stop at along the way for refreshment. Though she did have to be wary, and ever on the lookout for the vicious swarms of blue, sharp-toothed murlocs.

The morning was fine and golden, the sun shone brilliantly, birds sang in the trees, and light fluffy clouds filled the sky, as she left the imposing gates of Stormwind behind, to follow the cobbled road out into the forest toward Goldshire. The huge spreading oaks covered the roadway above her head, and she breathed the fresh air deeply, scenting the greenery and nature all around. There was nothing Sasha Wrynn loved more.

There were very few travelers on the road this morning, but it was not surprising given the current political climate. War was once again in the wind. She smiled and gave a cheery hello to the Stormwind guards on patrol in their polished blue and argent finery. Their crisp blue and white tabards bore the regal lion of Stormwind. The roads were still not safe, the Defias were everywhere, waiting to rob or murder anyone in their path who looked like easy prey. There was much unrest currently, and very few of the principalities were safe.

She realized she would have to be careful, her Father had told her many times he didn’t like the idea of her going into Elwynn alone, but he never forbade her excursions. After all, he was a ranger, and he understood his impetuous daughter’s desires even if no one else did. She was, however, strictly forbidden to cross into the environs of Redridge or Westfall, and Sasha had given her Father her solemn word she would always stay close to home.

The sleepy little town of Goldshire loomed, there was indeed little there, just a few scattered stone, and thatched roofed cottages, the flight master who lent his trained gryphons as taxis to urgent travelers for various sums of gold, a smithy, the carts of a few traveling peddlers, and lastly the infamous Lion’s Pride Inn.

Sasha looked across at the large establishment, the red lantern burned bright, hanging in the doorway, that unspoken symbol of carnal delights within. This inn was as always plying a very brusque trade, even at this early hour. Many humans, a smattering of elves, thickset dwarves, tiny gnomes, and even a massive Draenei, sauntered from the inn, looking very satisfied.

Though she was eighteen, and there was nothing to stop her from going inside, Sasha curbed her impulse. She had been tempted to at least take a peek, as she had always been curious as to the goings on in this notorious building, but the presence of Marshal Dughan at the smithy opposite had quashed that idea. He knew her Father well, and she was sure that he would tell him if she dared to venture inside.

Instead, she waved at him, and he called out to her. “How’s the ‘princess’ today?’ He quipped cheerily on seeing his friend’s lovely daughter.

“I wish!” Sasha replied cheekily. Although she shared the regal name of the House Wrynn, she was no immediate relative to the handsome King Varian Wrynn, or his cute son Anduin. It appeared their families had diverged generations ago, but it didn’t spare her from the jibes of friends, or other’s confusion.

“Be careful out there today, stick to the patrolled roads.” Marshal Dugan advised. “Too many Defias about.”

“I will,” she assured him as she pushed her long, lustrous, chocolate braid back over her shoulder, and took the road to the northeast that ran all the way to Redridge.

She did not follow the road for long before veering off into the forest proper, she knew just beyond here was a deep, crystal clear lake, and further over towards the red hills that shone with the promise of abundant copper, there were some deep kobold caves.

Kobolds were vicious, disgusting creatures, kind of like large overgrown rats with ugly tufted fur, and an unhealthy obsession for candles. Sasha had no desire to meet one, so she moved carefully and kept a very good observation of her periphery just as her Father had taught her to do.

If only she could have been a ranger, marksman, or a beast master like her Father. It was something Sasha Wrynn had longed for all her young life, but the problem being, that so very few humans possessed the stamina, accuracy of aim, survival skills, or that rare, innate ability to communicate with animals that was required.

Most rangers were elves, like Lor’themar or the Windrunner sisters. They had natural talents that made this profession easy for them to excel in. Sasha's Father was one of the very few human men who had attained the title of Ranger, and she didn’t know of a single human female who had. That thought often made her sad.

She rested by the Crystal Lake and watched the shores for a time before approaching to sate her thirst. Being doubly careful to make sure there were no murlocs about, she didn’t wish to tangle with these fierce creatures, they always hunted in packs. Many an unsuspecting traveler fell to them every year. Some of the stories were both tragic and horrific.

Satisfied there were none of the vicious creatures lurking in the deep waters, she approached the sandy shoreline, still thinking about her Father and his work, squatting down, cupping her hands and, drinking the cool, clear water.

She wished today she had her own animal companion like the one her Father had, his handsome and impressive Lion Thane, that he had tamed on campaign in Kalimdor two years prior. He was often away from home, but she loved it when he did return, and she was very close to him. He was her idol and all she wished to be.

He had often sat with her on his leave, recounting wild stories of his campaigns, or trying to explain that to be a ranger one had to have this given ability to commune with beasts, at least the beast you selected to be your ranger companion. Devin Wrynn had apparently possessed this ability since he was a small child, gradually progressing from taming smaller creatures such as birds and hares, to mountain sheep, and finally Thane his glorious, golden lion.

Sasha, try as she might never sensed this ability within her. She had spent most of her eighteen years on Azeroth, going out into the wilds that surrounded Stormwind, and trying to commune with any creature that would listen, with no success. It was very disappointing for the young woman and dashed her hopes of ever becoming a ranger. Even her aim was not that remarkable, and she was so small she could hardly draw back even the tiniest bow.

Most of her friends had gone off to the various schools for training, and unsuited for any of the disciplines except maybe the priesthood or a first aid instructor, she had been left behind. The petite dark girl was possessed of no magical abilities, and far too small in physique to become a paladin or a warrior.

Her Father had tried to direct her to perhaps a non-military profession, she had been offered a retail position at Trias Cheese, which she hastily declined. Perhaps she would just settle down in Stormwind and find a good husband. The petite Sasha with her dark-haired beauty, and blazing black eyes, was after all strikingly attractive. There was no shortage of willing suitors who would have loved her hand. However she simply showed no interest, and only being eighteen her Father didn’t press her. Hoping that one day soon she would realize marriage and a home were probably her best course.

Thirst sated, she left Crystal Lake to push further inland, toward the red cliffs that bordered the lands of Redridge and the Burning Steppes. She had heard many tales of these locales from both her Father, and his many military friends, these places sounded exciting, dangerous, and exotic, and she longed to see them. She promised herself she would someday.

As she neared the red hills where the forest broke its green canopy of shade, the sky began to darken. It was already about midday by her reckoning. Sasha felt the first twinges of hunger as her belly rumbled, and she noted that the sky had turned from a friendly blue with light fluffy clouds to an ominous gray.

It was then she heard a distant boom of thunder. Sasha knew this area well, and she also knew a spring downpour was imminent. The weather this time of the year was very changeable and could catch one unaware. There was a cave up ahead, one not infested with Kobolds or giant spiders, so she hurried for it.

She made the dark overhang in the red rocks just as the first huge droplets began to begrudgingly fall, splashing on the rocks and in the dust. She checked the cave for safety and hurried inside to sit, just as the deluge began, and more thunder growled angrily overhead, louder this time. The wind came up and whipped the tops of the massive oaks, the poor trees strained and screamed in the howling gale.

Sasha was cozy and safe, this was a good place to sit the storm out. She knew a little further north there were many large cave systems where huge tribes of kobolds dwelt. One kobold was not much of a concern, but ten of them could be a decidedly different story.

This destination was about as far as Sasha ever ventured, mostly for that reason. Also, the forest further north was home to large wolves and bears. One day she told herself, when she was feeling more ambitious, she would like to cross the estuary that ran from Stone Cairn Lake, and make it as far as the Eastvale Logging camp. Maybe even take a look at the mysterious Azora Mage's tower that was on the way.

That day though would not be today, Sasha thought, as she unwrapped her hearty lunch, and settled down cross-legged to eat.

She was engrossed in the taste of her food when suddenly she looked up into the golden gaze of an alpha wolf, that stood in the rain at the cave's entrance. The beast was possibly seeking shelter just as she had. The shaggy gray animal stopped in its tracks on seeing her, lowered its head, and snarled in a challenge.

Sasha did not move, nor did she take her eyes off the animal. Her bow and quiver lay off to her side, and her knife was securely tucked into her belt. She wanted to reach for them, but the animal continued to growl threateningly, as it advanced a little further into the cave opening.

Sasha was very much cornered, she didn’t dare go into the umbral darkness to her back. She had no idea what was behind her, and no source of light to see by. She did though find herself backing away slightly, as the growling animal advanced.

Sasha never took her gaze from the wolf’s golden-eyed challenge. Her Father had told her that the most dominant wolf holds eye contact with the betas and omegas of his pack, he will not look away, but this eye contact was to the wolf a direct form of challenge. Sasha held firm, but she feared for her safety. She still had the remainder of her lunch clutched in her hands.

That was when it happened, something that Sasha could not explain. She glimpsed in her mind stark images, disjointed, from the wolf’s mind’s eye. A den of crying, starving puppies, another wolf in great distress, frantically tearing at its bleeding and mangled paw, caught in a cruel iron trap. Her raven-colored eyes blinked, and just as swiftly as the visions had come to her they had vanished.

Unsettled, she wrested the hearty ham bone from the muslin cloth she had packed it in and threw it toward the wolf. The animal paused in its threat, sniffed the meat, at once gathering it up to run away. As it did so, Sasha was imbued with a very strange feeling of satiety and contentment. She had known it was the right thing to do, and she felt good she had helped the creature, but she was doubly sure the animal had projected its feelings and predicament into her mind. She could not wait to break this news to her Father.

Sasha stared after the departing animal, its shaggy grayness blending into the sleeting rain. Was that a mind meld? She wondered?

The weather lifted, and she decided it was time to turn for home, running most of the way through the forest trails that she knew so well, and out onto the Goldshire road. She skirted the Defias bandits that now brazenly camped so near the city gates. The young woman wondered why the King tolerated their presence, and the army had not been called to dispatch them? Dangers crowded closer to the city every year, and with those thoughts Sasha was finally home.

The hour was getting late, as she pushed open the heavy wooden door of their cottage. Her Father was by the fireside resting in his favorite chair, smoking one of his precious cigars. Thane stretched out beside him.

“There you are!” He called to his beloved daughter. “Uncle Benjamin said you had run off early, where did you go?”

Sasha still rather breathless from her run, set her bow and quiver beside the doorway and hurried over to sit. The fire after her exertion was overly warm, but she had much to tell.

“You will NEVER believe what happened to me today Father!” She said as she settled, patting the recumbent Thane as she did so.

The ranger raised his eyebrow, and let his daughter talk.

“I think, I actually mind-melded, with of all things a WOLF!”

Sasha spoke animatedly of her adventure, and her Father listened intently, nodding and intermittently puffing on his cigar. He listened for a long while until his daughter had finally detailed every last part of her adventure outdoors.

“Perhaps you did,” he said thoughtfully. “Young Graham Trias called on you today, he told me that he was very disappointed you would not be working in the cheese shop this summer, and he left you those.”

Sasha looked to the table where her Father had pointed, and gracing the center of it stood a vase full of bright wildflowers.

“That was sweet of him,” was all Sasha said. Inwardly she sighed, her Father was always playing the matchmaker and she really wished he would stop. Graham Trias was kind and courteous, but she didn’t feel anything special for him, there was simply no attraction. A life living within the city walls selling cheese and wine, and having a bevy of children was too dull to contemplate. Especially so, after the events of today.

“The Trias family is a very good family,” He continued, oblivious to his daughter’s disinterest. “You could do a lot worse than Elling Trias’ son, you would never want for anything.”

Sasha didn’t have the heart to anger her Father, so she just smiled at him and said nothing.

“I have to Inform you baby girl that I am again to be deployed. The good news is it’s only for ninety days. I am going to Morgan’s Vigil in the Burning Steppes, there have been a lot of incursions there with the Blackrock Orcs, as you are probably well aware. I would really like you to be on your best behavior for your Uncle and Aunt while I am away.”

“I will, Father.” Sasha answered dutifully.

“And one more thing.” He looked up at her, his gaze was stern.

“No excursions while I am gone. It’s just too dangerous, and I don’t want to unduly worry your Aunt, do you understand. I want your word.”

Sasha was about to complain, but her Father’s expression brooked no refusal.

“Yes Father, I give you my word,” was all she said.

*****


With her Father now stationed in Morgan’s Vigil, and most of her friends away training, Sasha was lonely. She felt stifled within the walls of Stormwind and tried her best to be good. Elwynn Forest called to her, but she had made her Father a promise. It didn’t make things any easier though.

In lieu of her wanderings most days she went to the park, to at least be out in the fresh air, and among the wild things. She again tried repeatedly to commune with any creature that crossed her path to no success. It was disappointing. Even the chattering squirrels would not listen to her.

So often she just sat, staring up at the Royal palace, wondering what it would be like to live there, cloying, she suspected. On occasion, she was sure that she caught sight of the young, handsome, Prince Anduin on the balcony high above. She couldn't be sure, but she liked to think so.

Her cousin Erin sent her frequent letters, detailing her life in Dalaran, and lamenting that Mage training was hard. Sasha diligently replied to these missives, urging her cousin onward to success.

There was the agitation of Graeme Trias too, he would constantly come calling, and Sasha had to often tell her Aunt not to admit him. Once she even bailed out of her bedroom window to avoid his visitation. It seemed he was smitten, but Sasha was not, the lure of the wilds called to her, and the life of a ranger.



© Copyright 2024 Xonereth (UN: xonereth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Xonereth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1074661-To-be-a-Ranger