*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077561-Kalispell-Montana
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1077561 added October 1, 2024 at 2:11pm
Restrictions: None
Kalispell, Montana
Kalispell, Montana


         The week of 9/23/24 found me rural Montana.  I was in Kalispell for a class with the Federal Bureau of Reclamation at Hungry Horse Dam.  I've been to Montana many times, but never to an area as beautiful as Kalispell.  Kalilspell is a charming town that has far more to offer than one might think.  I would love to live there, but I'm afraid that my other half would not appreciate the cold winters they experience.

         The class was the typical Networking class, and went very well, depsite small hiccups experienced with one of the 20 year old Cisco Routers.  I'm not sure it was entirely a router problem since the student team didn't factory default it at the beginning as they should have.  Then again, the exercise they were attempting to complete is one they will never do, nor will they ever see a Cisco router in our radio system.

         When I was in North Dakota recently, I had a 1 hour drive to get to work.  It was about the same here, but a much more beautiful one that wound between the mountains with the Flathead River nearby.  The class was held in the Hungry Horse Dam, and actually being in the dam was a little surreal. You can't imagine the size of a Dam, nor it's water driven Turbines until you're standing next to one.

         I arrived Saturday afternoon, and on Sunday I went about 10 miles south of Kalispell to an Alpine Coaster ride.  It's a bit like a small roller coaster in that you get on to the small wheeled sled.  You go through a little discussion about riding in the sled, fasten your seatbelt, and off you go.  The sled is towed up the hill, at the top you are on your own because it's all downhill from there.  It's a kick in the 'you know what' riding this.  It's very reasonably priced too at $18.  Plus, they automatically record a video of you on the coaster, and take 22 photos as you ride downhill.  The video and pictrures are emailed to you, the cost for that is $13.  I thought the price was excellent overall, and bought the video package of course.


Kalispell Sunrise 9/22/24


Riding The Alpine Coaster



         Noteworthy Restaurants:

         Freestone Restaurant          https://freestonerestaurant.com/menu/          Man, I really wanted to return here, but never did.  Mainly because Kalispell has A LOT to offer in way of restaurants.  Still.....  I really wanted to try their Bone Marrow because I've never had that, but I know it's rich, and with the way my digestive tract has been recently, I didn't want to chance it.  I ended up trying their Tempura Brussel Sprouts - Fried Brussel sprouts paired with mango chimichurri aioli, and their Seafood Fettuccine - Shrimp, lobster, grilled artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, basil, tossed in a roasted red bell pepper cream sauce and topped with parmesan cheese.  I was hooked on first bite!

         The Desoto Grill          https://www.desotogrill.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Desoto-regular-menu.pdf/          I was in rthe mood for Sausage that night (I Love Sausage!) so had their Lower Valley Sausage Platter - Slices of local elk and hot link from Lower Valley Meats served with sharp cheddar, toast points and their amazing house made Lewis and Clark weizenbock mustard.  And yes, their house made Mustard is Amazing!  I also enjoyed their Elk Sausage Platter.  Did I order too much food?  Definitely.  The good news is that I had plenty for leftovers the next two days for both lunch and/or dinner.

         Sykes Diner & Market          https://sykesmt.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Sykes-Day-Menu.pdf          I came here for Breakfast on Friday because there was no class that day.  I tried to fly home Friday, but I wasn't willing to spend $900 of company money on the flight. I ordered their Hungryman’s Biscuits & Gravy.  Homemade Biscuit and Sausage Gravy served with a choice of 2 bacon, 2 links, 1 ham steak or 1 patty with 2 eggs cooked any style and potatoes.  I love a good Biscuits & Sausage Gravy, this was the best I can recall having in recent memory.


         My Current Schedule


Oct 7:  Chattanooga Tennessee

Oct 14:  Work from home

Oct 21:  Schaumburg

Oct 28:  Vacation

Nov 4:  Seattle

Nov 11:  Schaumburg

Nov 18:  Schaumburg

Nov 25:  Thanksgiving

Dec 2:  Seattle

Dec 9:  Fort Lauderdale

Dec 16:  For Lauderdale

Dec 23:  Christmas/New Years 'Relaxation'

Dec 30:  Christmas/New Years 'Relaxation'

         My 2025 Schedule has a few classes on it, but not that many.  Right now, I have classes in upstate NY in Jaunary, Washington DC with the US Senate Radio technicians in February, Washington DC again with WMATA, and Schaumburg, both of the last 2 classes in March.


         That's it for now.  Until my next entry, write all you can, and love everyone, especially those special people who fill your life!




Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2024 Sum1 Is Home (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 Is Home has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077561-Kalispell-Montana