*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/264155-Reflections-and-Hindsight
Rated: 18+ · Book · Adult · #737885
The Journal of Someone who Squandered away Years but wishes to redeem them in the present
#264155 added November 1, 2003 at 8:53am
Restrictions: None
Reflections and Hindsight
In 1994 when I was working for the El Paso Times as an intern on the editorial page, I had two interesting encounters with political figures.
The first, whose name I can’t recall, was an interesting businessman who was running for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senator (the nomination and later the seat itself were won by Kay Bailey-Hutchison, who still serves). I did really well in the editorial board interview with this man, impressed the editor in chief, and felt pretty good about myself for it.
A week or two later, I ran into Dan Morales, who was re-running for Texas State Attorney General. I did about as poorly with him as I did with the first gentleman, having asked a question that led me to look unprepared when Morales turned the cards against me. I still feel badly about my dumb question, or rather, my lack of ability to think on my feet (verbally, I’m very much clumbsy – in writing, I’m quite nimble).
I always resented Morales for that. It wasn’t that he nailed me on something I should have been prepared for, it’s that he was better at “the game” than me. He knew how to stab, and I was what, 24? Had I done well, I might be on an editorial page somewhere, but that’s neither here nor there. I’m happy I’m not a journalist.
I read in the paper today that good old Dan Morales was just sentenced to 4 years for filing false income tax returns and mail fraud (in a case stemming from the state’s $17 billion tobacco settlement).
Ah, Dan, what I saw that day was the real you, wasn’t it?
Maybe I should send that asshole a letter, and tell him about myself today.
I’m not one to practice schadenfreude. I think to glory in the misfortune of others is sinful, though human, of course. And I have to tell you, I can’t say I’m sorry old Dan is headed to the big house (federal, no less).
The judge said to Dan:
“You’ve breached the very valuable trust the people of Texas gave you.”

Indeed. I saw in 1994 that he wasn’t a good person. I saw that his desire was to be powerful (I believe he served in the Clinton Administration in some capacity, but I may be wrong about that, and he lost the Democrat primary for Texas governor in their last primary cycle). And he was willing to use weapons in the pursuit of that desire. His psychological pummeling of me that day was my evidence.

I haven’t thought about that day very often, because really, my path out of journalism was inevitable. And I was in my second big interview, and I did poorly – that’s not a crime. But that was early on my path as a student of human nature, and if I’m taking satisfaction in anything, it’s that I was right about that man. His craven pursuit of self-promotion was moving toward its zenith. Now it moves toward the nadir.
Enjoy the slammer, you fuck.
I hope you serve all 4 years.
/one-finger salute

It is never too late to be what you might have been. -- George Eliot
Courage to start and willingness to keep everlasting at it are the requisites for success. -- Alonzo Newton Benn

© Copyright 2003 Heliodorus04 (UN: prodigalson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Heliodorus04 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/264155-Reflections-and-Hindsight