*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549479-The-Fun-Continues
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1348631
The struggles my husband and I went through when our daughter was born 11 weeks premature.
#549479 added November 20, 2007 at 6:54am
Restrictions: None
The Fun Continues

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

This is when Cadence held her Daddy's hand for the first time. You can really tell how small she was when you compare the size of his hand to her body!

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

This is the first time Chris held our daughter. He's a gung-ho, macho Navy veteran, but he wept!


This is from September 17, 2007

About two weeks ago, the doc called and told me that Cadence had contracted an infection. This was particularly frightening for me because preemies have such a weak immune system, and it can be deadly. They administered antibiotics and now she seems to be doing well.

She's over four pounds now. Today they are moving her to a regular crib and out of the incubator! They've also started bottle feeding her, instead of wholly relying on her feeding tube. I haven't been able to feed her yet because she'll have to learn how to take from the bottle. There's a chance she could aspirate, so for now the nurses are doing it until Cadence can eat without any risk of choking. Then Chris and I will be able to feed her. Hopefully soon they'll remove the feeding tube. It goes in through her right nostril and down to her stomach. I can tell she hates the thing because she's always tearing at it with her little hands, like she's trying to rip it out.

Her platelet count has been low for several weeks and the docs are mystified why this is happening. Platelets are in the blood and cause the blood to clot. Hemophiliacs have a low platelet count. They are still running tests trying to determine the cause. They've given her plasma too many times to count to compensate. They have an IV in her head for this, which is painful to see. I can't wait until they get that damn thing out of her head!

I've been spending just about all of my time at the hospital with her. My Mom came down and plans to be by my side until Cadence comes home. We're staying at the Ronald McDonald house, which is basically just across the street from the hospital. It's like living in a dorm, only costs ten dollars per night, and different companies bring in really good food for us to eat at lunch and dinner. Volunteers come in to clean and organize events and make sure we're fed. It's really a great environment. It's hard though because all of the other families staying there have sick children and tell their stories and so I'm not only worrying about Cadence I'm also worrying about their children too!

I'm no longer on the blood pressure meds, which is wonderful. The doc gave me a clean bill of health last week. I'm feeling myself again but I'm still worrying about Cadence all of the time. The other day I was holding her and she stopped breathing. Alarms went off and the nurse rushed in and tore her from my arms. She only stopped breathing for about ten seconds, and its a normal occurance for preemies, but it terrified me. When it happened, she went still and red and I could tell she wasn't breathing. The doc checked her out and said she was fine, and then I burst into tears!

She's doing so well the doc said she might get to leave the hospital early. This is excellent news but I'm trying not to get too emotionally invested in the idea. The last time I thought she was doing well she caught the infection. So I'm just going day by day and hoping she has only a few more hurdles to cross until I can finally bring her home.


© Copyright 2007 C Blackmon (UN: redheadgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C Blackmon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549479-The-Fun-Continues