*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/554879-12-December-2007-511-Words
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1359345
This is the book item required by the 500 Words a Day group.
#554879 added December 12, 2007 at 11:53pm
Restrictions: None
12 December, 2007; 511 Words
Today, I thought a little about what I would the other three stories would be about, and I've drawn nothing from the recesses of my twisted mind.  I have thought about the character of John and Sarah.  Isiah, Curtis, and Candice are interesting names, but not very unique.  I think I'll change all of their names at some point down the road;  I thought more of this when I read the article on Writing.com about the selection of characters' names.  Particularly insightful was the story about how the authors devised the names for Winnie the Pooh, and Peter Pan.  In the past, the only deep thought I put into a name was my pseudonym. 

Sarah, is a redhead of average height.  She is a generally happy person around people, though they wouldn't tell you that because she is a very private person emotionally.  As is normally the case, stereotypically, with redheads: she's outspoken and always noticed in a crowd.  She didn't like the attention at younger ages, but over the years she learned to use it to her advantage socially. 

That's enough about the book.  A year or two ago I was really interested in the website Lulu.com.  It's an interesting concept that they use.  I find myself wondering how successful writers have been using their service.  Perhaps in the next few years a great writer will surface thanks to the services they provide, though I doubt it.  I don't believe that the book business is prepared to seriously consider sources outside the very large and powerful.  The greatest inhibitor to the outlet is the lack of editor power.

From my experience the only force as influential as the writer is the editor.  Generally the editor finds who he thinks has promise and in the end acts as much like and agent in the distribution and marketing of an author's novel.  It's interesting to think about.  How many great writers have been thrown to the wayside because an editor didn't like their work or felt that it was too extreme. 

How come there is no rating system for published novels?  I'm most certainly not arguing that there should be.  What I am saying, though, is that when I was much younger I learned a lot of things I probably should not have at the local library, which is something funny to think about.  I think that I'm a better person for having read about things I never would have been taught in public schools. 

On public schools, let me say this.  They are an institution of America that desperately need reforms.  Today I was discussing with someone the difference between High School in the late 60's and High School today.  It's stark.  We should go back to that.  Kick out the bad kids and don't let them come back!  Teachers are tired of being police officers.  The 'Leave no child behind' bullshit has got to go to.  Leave them behind.  Let the smart kids prosper.  Now that's American.  Stop trying to change my country into a Socialism.  It's pissing me off.


© Copyright 2007 Randy Wallace (UN: randywallace at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Randy Wallace has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/554879-12-December-2007-511-Words