*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591448-Death-of-a-rabbit
Rated: 13+ · Book · Nature · #1439094
Look around. Let Nature nurture your Soul. I record images I sense and share them here.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#591448 added June 17, 2008 at 1:19am
Restrictions: None
Death of a rabbit
How does one know when to intervene or not?

Tonight I saw a young rabbit sitting in the middle of Ridge Road. Rabbits do not sit on roads and not move when traffic goes by or someone approaches.

I saw the small puddles of blood, saw red dripping from its nose, the awkwardly twisted rear right foot. There was nothing I could do. I do not have the veterinary skills, and there is no-one to call to rescue a rabbit.

I know enough not to approach an injured wild animal. All I could do was take my hat and shoo it to the side of the road, make it hop up on the grass. I bid adieu.

I will not walk that way tomorrow.

*Flower1*

Its time

Red puddles turn black by daylight,
Ridge Road anointed by the blood
running drop by tiny drop from a rabbit's nose.

So little blood.
So soft its spattered fur.
So short its time.

2008 Kåre Enga [165.118] 2008-06-17

*Flower1*

Years ago I rescued a stray cat I was thinking of adopting.

My friend Robert came over to my house to tell me she'd just been hit on Pennsylvania Avenue. (in front of this wonderful couple, the Castellano's)

I took Peaches (she already had a name) to the after-hours emergency vet. She survived and lived for over 10 years. And she was as sweet as her name implies.

Where does one draw the line.

I cannot tell you. Look within.

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591448-Death-of-a-rabbit