*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/609814-Preview-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1478646
Seven teenagers must prepare to battle a living, breathing universe
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#609814 added September 28, 2008 at 1:11pm
Restrictions: None
Preview Part 2
Three











         Planet Bashelk, in Barnard Dwarf Galaxy.





         Amber Dren, a teenage girl from Planet Kyun of the Honuan System, found herself in what she considered to be the most privileged situation that she ever could. The guards outside the door patted her down for weapons. They were both men, but she wasn’t concerned that they were enjoying the inspection; they were strictly business here. Besides, they were not close enough to human anatomy to find her attractive.


         “Go in.” One of them told her in the universal language. They watched her arrival into the room behind of them, alert to her every move. They turned back when the doors closed and stood to attention.


         Inside the room, Amber held her breath as her attention focused on the individual in the bed. This old woman, who now lay weakly in bed, had once been a girl who brought peace to the universe as a whole, with a simple orb. She had led the universe as its queen, appointing a council of superbeings from all over the universe to assist her in maintaining the peace.


         This was a council that Amber had been privileged to be a part of, especially considering her youth. The queen had summoned her here to speak with her, which amazed Amber even more, with the queen’s worsening condition.


         The old woman chuckled lightly. “Come closer, dear child. I wish to converse with you on serious matters.” Her voice was shaky, but held vast amounts of strength at the same time.


         Amber suddenly took notice of Heradi, who was the queen’s chief advisor. She mostly stayed to herself but was always there when you needed her. Amber acknowledged the advisor as warmly as you could when you were nervous, and obeyed the queen, sitting down in the chair that had been placed beside the bed.


         “I have a mission for you and two others of the council, child.” The queen informed her.


         “I’m honored, my queen.”


         “Let’s not be formal, dear thing. I was once a child just as you are. I’d like to die without people addressing me as if I was a higher being. Call me Ceda, please child.”


         “Yes, Ceda.” Amber said reluctantly.


         The queen placed a fragile old hand over her chest and reached through flesh and bone until she grasped and pulled out a white glowing orb. Amber had watched what had happened in disbelief. “Ma’am, is that the peace orb?” She asked the queen in awe.


         The queen nodded. “Take it.” The old woman ordered her.


         Amber was both anxious and reluctant to obey, but in the end she took it. The orb’s pure glow faded as it touched her hands. Amber immediately became afraid that she had done something wrong, but the queen eased the fear.


         “Don’t worry, young child.” The queen soothed. “The orb merely transformed to its neutral state.”


         “What do you mean?” Amber asked in a whisper.


         “That orb is said to have three forms.” Heradi told Amber. “The state it’s in now is the Neutral Orb. It is neither good nor bad at this moment and is for all purposes, dead. Another state is the Peace Orb, which is when it is connected with a person who is truly good of heart. The last form, however, has yet to be seen by any of this universe - the Destructive Orb. That is what it transforms into when an evil person gains control of it.”


         “It does not see me as worthy.” Amber murmured.


         “That’s not it at all.” The queen told her. “You have a genuine and true heart, but you can’t bring your emotions into the orb like only a few can. Only  superbeings like me – a mutant called a Tranquil – has the natural ability to bring out the orbs powers. Anyway, child, we’re getting off the subject.”


         Amber listened more intently than ever.


         “I have received word today that four new heroes were chosen on a planet called Earth, in the Sol sector. They are all enormously important to this universe, but two you will find particularly interesting. There is a girl in this group that displays incredible qualities and radiates power and happiness from her very body. She is undoubtedly my successor - the next Peace Queen. You are to take this orb to her. The other is a boy, kind-hearted and humble, recently saving a large metropolis from death by accidentally absorbing a nuclear bomb. He now holds control over any flame or heat. He is confirmed to be the lost son, Zalgo, of the Melzu family, rulers of the Honuan System.”


         “The heir to the Honu world and system has been found!” Amber almost shouted with glee. Then, she remembered herself and calmed down, attentive once again.


         The old woman smiled. “Yes.” She now held a sword and sheath in her hands. “The Honuan Royal Blade,” She told Amber as she relinquished the sword and sheath to the girl. “Able to turn into a blade of liquid fire in the hands of any of the Melzu line. Begin your journey to these people soon, you and the other two adolescents from the Honuan System. When you have all four of them, make your way toward planet Chushin of the Glemb Sector, in Andromeda. That is where you will meet Heradi, who will train them further. That is your mission.”


         Amber stood slowly. “It will be done.” She promised. “I wish peace to you, Queen Ceda, and to you, Heradi.” She bowed, then turned and left the room.








2





         Derrick Sobyu is like any other blue-skinned young man equal in many ways: he had two birth-given antennas on his head, large oval eyes of a violet hue, long and well rounded fingers and a well-built body at the average height of seven and a half feet. He loved playing Rough-Up Ball, and his wife, Miya Sobyu.


         But there were also many ways he was different from the others of Planet Grokvos. To start with, he was half-human, which meant that he could take that form anytime and without exhausting any of his External Energy. But that also meant that he was prone to be more aggressive than full-blooded Grokvosians, who were more peaceful in nature. This gave him a unique and lonely perspective, which was driven further by the fact that he was the only registered half-breed of the billions that lived on the planet.


         His origins didn’t cause him complete distress, however. Because he was a half-breed, he somehow had greater power then most full bloods. Derrick theorized that the reason had something to due with the fact that he had the powers of both races, giving him the advantage.


The power he held had given him the privilege of joining the council and at an early age too. While this cost him a lot of relations within his own race, he made several friends of many different races and ages within the council. Two of those friends included Amber Dren and George Qaxuh, who were relatively the same age as he was and from the same system as well.


         Amber was from Planet Kyun, another half-breed, her parents being one human and one Atama. Her Atama half allowed her to live and survive anywhere, including in the middle of cold and airless space. Plus, she can force her Mental Energy into a physical form and send or block most messages in MindTalk with no focus, at will. The only problem is that she can’t always block the ThoughtProbes from the Warui Atama, the evil and insane of the Atama.


         George was a prince in the Honuan Council and the fourth planet of the system, which is inhabited by fish and amphibious beings. Derrick wasn’t sure of the exact species that George and his ancestors descended from, but anyone who had visited Earth would see that he looked like a hammerhead shark with human features. But whatever species George was from, Derrick was sure that human was somewhere in his genes as well. He wasn’t a halfling, though - maybe not even one-fourth human, or the features would surely have been more pronounced.


         Derrick had even seen George transform into a human - he had a dark hue to his skin in that form, slightly lighter then the wet topsoil that some planets had. George had a harder time transforming than he himself did but he still didn’t use energy when he turned human like those of full-species origins.


         At this moment, however, all of that meant nothing to him. Right now it was just Miya and himself at the local shopping-cluster, the Grokvosian equivalent of a mall. He kissed her gently on her cheek and held her body to his own as he leaned against the wall.


         Miya playfully pulled away from the affection. “Easy, Mr. Sobyu. We’re out in public, you know.” She said, jokingly and with a giggle.


         “The public owes me for my service to this universe. As much I enjoy being on the council, I sacrifice too much of my time with you.” Derrick told her as he kissed her again, this time on the lips.


         “So noble.” Miya teased.


         Derrick grinned and pulled out his Video PCU. “I think I’ll ask for the week off. We could go to the zoo or sit and watch movies; anything - your pick.”


         She smirked and kissed him. “I don’t care.”


         Derrick was about to call the council’s office when the VPCU rang. He let out an exasperated sigh and answered it. “Hello?”


         Amber’s image appeared on the unit followed by her gleeful voice. “Derrick, they’ve been found!” She blurted out.


         “Wonderful, Amber.” He said in a dry tone, but his interest was peaked. “Who?”


         “Prince Zalgo and the new Peace Queen.” Amber answered him.


         Derrick now put his whole focus on the call. “When? Where?” He inquired, almost in a rush.


         “They found out just seventy-two hours ago. They’re both living on Earth, as a betrothed couple. They have no idea who they are, according the information I’ve received, but they’ve recently became apprentice superheroes along with two others that also hold some relevance to the council.”


         “Are they going to assign someone to get them?” Derrick asked Amber, his own mirth now showing. He wanted to meet the heirs to his system and the universe when they arrived.


         “They just did.” Amber informed him. “You, George and I have been assigned to get them before meeting Heradi at Planet Chushin.”


         That fact tore at Derrick. He wanted to do this mission but he also wanted to spend the time with Miya. He looked at his wife, seeming to plead her permission.


         Miya laughed at the look and kissed the tip of his nose. “Go. I’ll still be here when you get back.”


         He kissed her cheek. “You’re the best, my dear.” He returned his attention back to his phone. “When do we leave?” He asked.


         “Right now. We’ll leave as soon as you get here, so hurry.”


         “I’m coming. I’ll see you when I get there.” He hung up the phone and then grabbed Miya up in a hug. “I’ll return as soon as I can.” With that he left for the spaceport.











3





         George, although not seven and half feet tall like Derrick’s Grokvosian form, had a large and muscular build in both his birth-given forms. In his shark form he looked vicious, especially when he got in a foul mood. It was that reason that kept everyone besides Amber away from him at the moment.


         She knew he would never hurt her. In the eleven years they had known each other, George and Amber had reached an understanding of each other that took other couples lifetimes to learn and tolerate. There was no doubt that they were soul mates.


         “Shhhh...” Amber soothed. “I’m just as upset as you are, George, but she gave the order for a reason.”


         “What reason could there be for ordering me off the battlefield?” George asked irately. “I should be there fighting right now, regardless of who we’re supposed to pick up. This maniac is too dangerous for us to ignore.”


         “He’s not being ignored, child, I can assure you.” The quivering, old voice of Queen Ceda assured. Both teens immediately snapped to attention, facing her voice and then kneeling on one knee. The queen’s smile was kind yet weak. “This is part of the reason why you are being sent on this mission. We just got a report of the battle, sent by someone who is no doubt dead by now.” She grasped the HHIM weakly, standing only with the help of Heradi.


         Ceda held the HHIM out to George, who humbly took it and focused on its readout. As he read on, George’s gray skin turned white as he became sick. “We were slaughtered.” He mumbled out weakly as he dropped the HHIM drop to the deck aisle. “I could have been with them.”


         “Don’t despair, child.” Ceda comforted. She handed him another HHIM.


         He gave it a quick glance before he looked at Queen Ceda. “What is this, your majesty?” He asked, still fighting to keep his food inside his stomach.


         “It is the explanation of why you were called away from this mission.” The queen told him. “Read it.” She gently urged her.


         George dropped his eyes down to the device while Amber leaned over to read. They thoroughly read each word. They were both white far before they were done.


         “187.5 Teraverts! He gained so much power in such a short time.” Amber whispered in wonder. “It’s impossible.”


         George agreed “It’s incredible, but its not enough to stop Su'kon's army.”


         “It’s not the army we have to worry about.” Queen Ceda corrected. “It’s the Generals. Fortunately, only one general is leading the assault against Gizan - Zalmon Melzu.”


         “Zalgo’s cousin.” George said as he began reading the known facts about Zalmon. “Even with Zalgo’s newfound power he’s no match for Zalmon, but then again, neither are any of us.”


Ceda put a fragile hand on George for comfort. “Do you see why, child?” She asked softly.


         “Yes.” He admitted. “I’m sorry for doubting you, my queen.” He apologized.


         “Child, I’d be scared if you didn’t. I want no blind obedience from anyone - a little doubt sometimes shows wisdom.”


         George was a little startled when Derrick stepped up beside him. Derrick knelt and looked at the Queen while in his Grokvosian form. “I’m sorry if I’m late, Queen Ceda.” He told her. “I got here as soon as I could.”


         “You’re fine, my young boy. You’re just in time actually - I wanted to talk to you all. I know for certain that are you to return, I will be dead. However, with someone like Su’kon and his generals there is a strong possibility that not even the council will survive. If that should happen, you must do all you can to stop Su’kon and restore the council. I hope that doesn’t happen, but I must place this impossible burden on you and the others.”


         “We do accept, Queen Ceda.” Amber answered her. George and Derrick’s affirmative answers followed hers.


         “May you always prosper, my children.” The queen told them before she and Heradi left.


         The Queen died an hour later.








4





         While the three citizens of the Honuan System were leaving the council’s spaceport on Bashelk, an armada of ships - each the size of a large moon - approached Planet Grokvos. One thing was certain - they were not friendly.


         Although all the ships were of the same size and design, one was marked to show it was the command ship; Black Nova . It was this vessel that housed Supreme General Zalmon Melzu. He was young, sturdy and physically charming, with a short haircut of ebony hair and a round, tan face holding two blue gems that always glinted sharply in the light.


         The general was only about nineteen in Earth years, but he was the third in command because of his power. He was as insane as his father was, possibly more. No one dared said anything that could get back to him and cause offense - he did not forgive.


         The dark and demented general looked out into the darkness outside the window, which had tiny white holes and an orb with a kaleidoscope of red, purple, and blue. He showed the world of Grokvos his wicked grin before turning to his own general, Chikara - a man who was nothing but a mass of muscle with a face.


         “What do you think, Chikara?” Zalmon asked.


         “It’s one of the last planets in this galaxy. It won’t be long before we can start on Planet Bashelk with the Council of Superbeings.”


         “I hope the council is a challenge. These planets with peaceful inhabitants are fun to destroy, but I want to get to the war planets. There’s nothing more amusing then to watch planets fight back and then see the loss of hope on their faces when they realize that there’s no deliverance.”


         “Shall I give the armada the order to fire in unison?” Chikara asked.


         Zalmon held up his arm as a gesture to wait. “What is the last peace-filled planet after this?” He asked his general.


         “Planet Hewazar.” Chikara answered.


         “Are they peaceful by nature or by choice?”


         “There are several species from all over this universe that live there, but they are almost all species that live in peace by choice.”


         At this news, Zalmon smiled his evil smile. “After this planet, we’ll attack the Superbeing Council before going to Hewazar. I have a plan that should prove both amusing and beneficial. Now give the ships the order to fire.”








5





         Miya was walking to a friend’s house when an unexplainable uneasiness seized her. She looked around her and on all sides of the street. Nothing was there. But then again, a crime had not been committed here on Grokvos in all of history. Something inside her said that about to change. There was no threat on the planet though.


         ‘No,’ Miya thought. ‘Not on the planet; above it.’ She looked up into the sky above, but could see nothing up there in the daylight. ‘It’s in space. A Warui Atama? No. It’s something far worse.’


         A massive quake shook the ground, the world of Grokvos. In the distance Miya was somehow able to discern a feature of blue light even though she and everything else were being thrown up and back down at an incredible rate. However, what she saw next gripped her heart with dread.


         A giant shockwave of debris was slammed up from the light’s impact and causing it to surge forward in all directions of the planet. But as Miya watched it approach her, she thought of one last thing - one last message to Derrick through her Mental Energy.


         ‘Derrick, I love y-.’


         Grokvos exploded with a scattering of dust and rock and one crime ever having been committed on it - genocide.








6





         ‘Derrick, I love y-.’


         Derrick collapsed in his trek as Miya’s final and unfinished thought reached his mind.


         Both Amber and George became immediately concerned by Derrick’s change in attitude.


         “Derrick!” Amber ran to him with George right behind her. She put her arm around her friend, trying to help him up. He didn’t seem to need her help, as he shot up the next moment and ran to the ships control.


         “We need to go back!” Derrick said with a hysteric tone, as his hand flew across the navigation controls of the ship. The ship didn’t slow at all as the ship did a one-eighty, causing the three beings on-board to slam into the wall.


         “Go back where?” George asked after the g-force had equalized.


         “To Grokvos!” Derrick shouted. “Somethings wrong.”


         “He’s right.” Amber said. George looked at her and she looked back. “I read his mind to find his recent thoughts. Miya left a Mental Message that was cut off by something. I reviewed the message and enhanced it. There was a lot of background noise, but I was able to hear several screams.”


         George nodded. “Then we’ll have to ready for anything. If something is wrong on Grokvos, it’ll be bad.”








7





         They passed the Superbeing Council on the way back. They could see several flashes of light covering Bashelk’s surface. George frowned as he the recognized the ships above the planet. “This is Zalmon’s armada. I should have known.” He turned to Derrick who had seized the ship’s controls. “Land us on the surface, Derrick.”


Derrick didn’t like that suggestion one bit. “But what if the battleships-?”


         George cut him off with hostility. “You can see as well as I do that those ships are all but dead right now. We need to get down there now. I’ve seen, if only briefly, that General Zalmon’s style of fighting is brutal – he’ll slaughter the council.”


         “Then what difference does our presence make?” Derrick asked.


         “Wake up, hero!” George shouted. “Act your part. We may need to assist the innocent after a disaster, but we must take out the threats first. Are you willing to sacrifice hundreds of worlds for one? For Miya?”


         “But the Queen's orders...” Derrick insisted.


         “She knew.” Amber stated, deep in thought. This caused the two young males on the ship to become deadly silent and look at her. “She knew this was going to happen.”


         “She knew! How could she have known?” George shouted.


         Amber emotionlessly glared into George’s eyes. “I don’t know how.” Amber admitted. “But she did. We were sent on this mission for many reasons - one was for us to survive this attack.”


         George didn’t say anything to that. Instead, he transformed into a masked human, his hero form.


         “What are you doing?” Derrick demanded.


         George kicked the door to the outside of the ship open, allowing the vacuum of space to start sucking the ship’s inside atmosphere out. “Take a guess.” He told his companion coldly.


         “You forget yourself, hero!” Derrick said angrily. “Follow your orders and let’s carry out our mission.” Derrick wasn’t expecting the blow. His nose poured blood from the punch, which was sucked outside.


         “Screw the mission!” George screamed. “You have no right to hold me to our orders when you disregard them yourself. Now, I’m going down there to help and you aren’t stopping me.” With those last words, the hero from the deep dove off the ship and down into Bashelk’s atmosphere.


         Derrick and Amber both let out a curse before transforming and plummeting to the battle below, following their comrade.


         As George neared the surface, he used small amounts of energy to drastically slowing his descent to the surface. Derrick and Amber caught up with him and did the same.


         Unfortunately, when the three heroes touched down on the Bashelk’s ground, it was almost drenched with blood. George clenched his teeth in anger as he caught sight of Zalmon Melzu, who had just finished slaughtering a younger Counselor He launched his body forward in a run, slicing into any enemy he came into contact with. When he was within range of the general, he lunged forward, going airborne as he stretched his jaw as far as it would open.


         George prepared to bite down into the shoulder of General Zalmon when his snout slammed into a wall of light and electricity, threatening to break. Blood poured from nostrils and his body went numb as he fell to the ground.


         “George, look out!” Amber shouted. A giant man constructed of muscle was now standing over George, ready to stab the hero through with a weapon that looked like a mutated spear.


         Acting quickly, Amber forced a wall of Mental Energy to jettison into General Zalmon and his underling, throwing the two back several feet. Unfortunately for Amber, the underling’s spear blade cut into her forehead, giving her a medium-sized gash that oozed vast amounts of blood. She became woozy from the sudden loss of blood and fell to the dirt.


         Derrick rushed over to his two friends, immediately slinging Amber over his shoulder before using both his hands to pick up and hold George by his armpits. Several of Zalmon’s force saw what this goliath hero was doing and advanced on him.


         Derrick almost took notice of the danger too late and was nearly killed by the weapons of energy that were hurtling toward him. He escaped at the last second by taking flight, flying up and out of the atmosphere of the planet and into the council ship, Heriteace.


         Slamming the door of the ship closed, Derrick let out a frantic shout, ordering the IM to continue its programmed course. Outside he could already hear members of Zalmon’s army trying to break in. “Top speed!” He ordered with a shout.


         Derrick was slammed into one of the ships inside wall, and nearly broke his neck due to the g-force. When he was able to move again, he transformed back  and picked his friends back up, carrying them to the medical room of the ship. When they were resting securely in the beds he fell to the floor, unconscious.








8





         When Derrick woke up, he found himself in a medical bed with both George and Amber beside him. His neck hurt and his head was pounding with a splitting headache but he sat up anyway.


         “He’s awake.” Amber said. Derrick was to busy holding his head to see her smile.


         “How long was I out?” Derrick asked in a groggy voice. He finally raised his head to look at his friends. George was refusing to look at him.


         “About three hours.” Amber answered him.


         “Are Zalmon’s forces still following us?” He inquired.


         “No.” Amber responded, but there was worry in her voice.


         “We’re almost to Grokvos.” George informed him. Derrick could see that his friend’s back was facing him.


         Derrick laid a hand on his friend’s shoulder, but George still didn’t turn around. “Thank you.” He told George. When George didn’t respond, he continued to talk. “I don’t blame you, George. I felt the same as you did. But, I knew that we alone couldn’t stop Zalmon. Still, I was almost as close as you were to charging into that battle. It’s just the way you are.”


         George suddenly spun around to face Derrick, his eyes glaring and wet with tears. “But you didn’t get us almost killed!” He shouted.


         Derrick embraced George in a friendly and comforting manner. “It doesn’t matter. We all make mistakes, especially when we try to do the right thing.” He let go of George and stood up. He fell dizzy due to the pain from his neck and head, but he managed to stay upright. “Let’s get back to the control room.” He said as the other two followed him.


         However, when the trio reached the control room they were met with a nebula of burnt dust and rocks. To Derrick’s horror, the IM displayed the following message: Coordinates reached, Terran object not found.


         “No.” Derrick whispered. Just then, the Grokvosian version of a child’s doll floated past the window, ripped and charred. Amber gasped and covered mouth at the sight while George clenched his teeth and his fists so hard that both his hands and mouth hurt.


         Before Amber or George could stop him, Derrick ran to the ship’s door to the outside and nearly ripped it open. The chill and vacuum of the black void once again filled the ship as Derrick let himself be sucked out into it.


         “Miya!” He shouted out, even though the logical part of his mind knew that sound never carried in the void. Even though his energy shield provided him with oxygen and a little bit of heat, but his body was still cold from being in space. Derrick’s mind never registered the physical cold that effected his body, for he was filled with another kind of cold. ‘Miya!’ Derrick shouted in MindTalk.


         No answer came. But, in the floating debris was something that caught Derrick’s eye. Ardoria caused the shine on its clear surface and he recognized it immediately as a Chrononium necklace, like the one he had made for Miya.


         He forced his way over to it and grabbed it. His mouth ran dry as he examined the diamond-like stone in the necklace, which was marked with two Grokvosian symbols: Derrick and Miya.


         Derrick clutched the rare jewelry to his chest and began to weep. “Miya.” He sobbed out.


         When he returned to the ship, his face was tear-stained but now calm. He looked at Amber and George with placid eyes. When he spoke, it was barely above a whisper. “Well, it looks like I’m the one who made the mistake. I’ve wasted our time by coming here. I should have known."


         “No, Derrick. Don’t blame yourself.” George told him. “There was no way any of us could have known.”


         Derrick didn’t say anything else on the subject. Instead, he just turned toward the control room. “Let’s continue on with the mission.” His voice was emotionless, but his eyes burned with something he seldom felt - hatred.
























































































































































Four








         One Earth month later.





         It was so wonderful to watch her move. Even when her movements were quick and violent, they were also beautiful and with grace. He could watch her practice fight all day. He could, that was, if he didn’t have to practice himself.


         Drew dodged the incoming blow from the IM program that was some type of mortal hologram. He brought his fist back and swung a punch to hit the physical illusion and was blocked by one of its arms, as he knew it would be. You could never beat these apparitions - all you could was try to beat your personal best.


         He somehow knew the blow was coming and tried to block it, but it plowed into his stomach with unexpected force. He began gasping for air immediately while his programmed opponent disappeared back into the system.


         He felt Justin help him off the battle floor and into a seat on the sidelines. He was still struggling to breathe, but he was focused on Julie’s battle. Fifteen minutes and still going. He smiled when he was able to and breathing.


         Her face was drenched with sweat and straining with her on-going struggle but she kept going. While she could not get past her opponent’s blocks, she matched it in blocking and speed.


         Out of the corner of his eye, Drew could see Phil nodding in approval as he watched her fight. After a month of this life and the training, it was found that while Drew held the gold in power, Julie’s potential far out-shadowed them all. Her energy level was already 523 Verts. Phil said that was an astonishing rate at which to gain energy. The only reason Drew’s energy was up around 187.5 Teraverts was because of the bomb.


         Julie had the best scores when it came to practice fighting. While she was not gaining physical strength like he or Justin were, both herself and Brittany were swift and precise with their movements.


         Drew looked at the clock. Twenty minutes. He heard Julie cry out but didn’t see what had happened. He wasted no time in running over to her and helping her up. He smiled at her and gave her a kiss on the lips. “Another good day for my queen.” He said.


         “Don’t kiss me when I’m all sweaty.” Julie told him with a smile.


         “I don’t mind.” He replied. He hugged her tightly while his sore muscles protested.


         “But, I do.” She said. “Besides, you’ve been sweating as well. You can kiss me when we’ve both had a shower.”


         He smiled. “It’s a deal. I’ll see you in a few minutes.”


         He let go of her and headed for one of the locker rooms. He undressed and turned on the shower stall, washing himself off from the hard day.


         ‘Man, I am so sore.’ He thought as the warm water hit his body and helped relax his muscles. ‘How I’ve changed in just a month! I’d have never worked this hard before this. Well, I guess that’s not true - I would do this for my loved ones.’ He frowned. ‘I’ll work this much harder to make sure that never happens again.’ Memories of his family filled his mind.

















2





         Two Earth years ago. Earth Year: 2046 CE





         One night, when Sally and Harry were six, Drew’s parent’s had went on their anniversary and left him to baby-sit the twins. The three of them had a big dinner, played with the duo’s toys, and watched a little of the HoloVision before they all went to bed.


         He remembered getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and hearing soft sobs coming from Sally’s room. He opened her door before hearing her gasp in surprise.


         “It’s Drew.” He assured her. He saw her small body relax slightly when she recognized his voice and form, but she was still crying. He switched on the light and walked over to her, bending down to give her a hug. “What’s the matter, Sally?” He asked her.


         “I...I had...a nightmare.” She said between sobs. “And I...wet the bed.”


         Drew hugged her more firmly when she began to cry harder. “Shhhh...” He soothed. “It’s okay, accidents happen. It’s nothing to get upset about.”


         “But...I’m a big girl.” She wept.


         Drew nodded. “Yes, you are. Even big girls and boys have accidents now and then.”


         “Are you mad at me?” A fearful tone accompanied the question.


         “No.” He said softly. “Let’s get you cleaned up, though.” He picked her up out of her bed and ignored the stain that was traveling from Sally’s pajama bottoms to his clothes. She laid her small head on his shoulder while he carried her to the bathroom.


         He set her down on the bathroom floor. “Why don’t you get cleaned up while I get you some new clothes and change your bed.”


         Minutes later, Sally was cleaned up and in new pajamas as Drew laid her down in a clean bed. Sally smiled sleepily as the covers were pulled over her body. She surprised Drew by grabbing his neck in a hug and then kissing his cheek. “I love you, Drew.” She said.


         Drew smiled and hugged her back. “I love you too, Sally.” He kissed her on the forehead. “Goodnight, Sallymander.” He told her, using her nickname. He switched off the light and mostly closed the door.


         “Goodnight, Drew.”








3





         Eight Earth months ago. Earth Year: 2047 CE





         Another memory came to his mind. The family vacation last year. They had all went hiking on a canyon, when harry had slipped, fell to a lone ledge several feet below and broke his leg.


         Drew acted foolishly and slid down the side of the canyon to where Harry had landed. Drew still remembered that despite the pain the Harry was in, he never cried. He had been so proud of Harry because of that.


         Drew asked if Harry was all right. Harry told him that his leg hurt. He could see a little of the bone poking through the skin. Drew acted fast by straightening the leg and heard nothing out of Harry but a large suck of breath. Drew took his shirt off and wrapped around Harry’s leg while his parents and sister were going hysterical above.


         He helped Harry onto his back carefully. “Hold tight, Hare.” Drew ordered as he wrapped his brother’s arms around his neck. He glanced up to the trail and didn’t remember it being so far on his way down. He growled in determination and began climbing up the steep canyon wall.          There was little to grab onto and Drew suddenly realized that he had been hasty. Still, if Drew knew anything about himself, it was that he was very stubborn. So he kept climbing undeterred to the top, despite his sore arms that threatened to go numb and his sweaty palms that could cause him to slip at any moment.


         He and his brother were almost back on the trail when he did slip and they began to fall when he felt his arm grabbed firmly by someone. He arm was jerked out of socket and the pain coursed through his body, but he was grateful that someone had caught them. He looked up to see a member of the Rescue Forces holding him by his disjointed limb.


         “Thanks.” Drew grunted out.








4





         Present.





         Drew was pulled back to reality when he stepped out of the locker room and was met by Julie. She was about to kiss him until she noticed his mood.


         “What’s the matter?” She asked with a concerned tone.


         “Remembering old times.” He explained soberly.


         Julie hugged him to give comfort, knowing what he meant. “At least you still have memories of them.” She told him. “You should cherish them all the more.”


         Drew stayed silent. Phil chose this time to come into the hall and greeted the couple. “Hey, kids. I suggest you two love-birds get to bed.”


         Drew nodded at the older man. “Sure.” He took Julie’s hand in his and brought himself down to kiss it. “Goodnight, Julie.” He said, but his voice was detached.


         He stood up straight again and looked back to Phil. “’Night, Phillip.” He said before heading off to his room.








5





         Brittany groggily stepped out of her room to see Phillip changing into Mr. Colossal. “What’s going on, Phil?” She asked, followed by a yawn.


         Phil smiled at Brittany. “I thought that we’d take a break from the usual training.” Phil told her. “We’re going to go into the city and talk to people.”


         “What good will talking going to do?” Justin asked as he closed his door.


         “There is more to being a hero than violence.” Phil reminded the two as he put on his mask.


         “Right.” Brittany nodded. “If violence were all we used, we would be no better than those we do fight against.”


         Phil, who was once again Mr. Colossal, tossed a small, transparent cube to Brittany and then to Justin. They both caught them and looked at the cubes questionably. Both contained small miniature stars of energy.


         “What are these, Phillip?” Justin asked.


         “Those cubes contain enough energy for you to transform into energy suits.” Mr. Colossal explained.


         “Energy suits?” Julie inquired as she entered the room.


         “Your armor.” Mr. Colossal expanded. “These will allow protection and an identity. All you need to do is customize them into matter and choose your style.”


         “What does that mean?” Drew asked as he and Julie walked in the room.


         “Let me demonstrate.” The hero told the teens. He took another cube filled with the star-energy and opened it up, taking the energy into his hand. “Just visualize your suit and manipulate the energy.” He explained as the energy transformed into cloth armor similar to Mr. Colossal suit. Suddenly, however, the suit became energy once again and the hero placed it back in the cube.


         Colossal then tossed the cube over to Julie. “Try it, dear Julie.” He told her.


         Julie now took the energy from the cube and concentrated. The energy turned white and flowed into fabric. A lovely suit formed: white high-heeled shoes, white pantyhose, white loose-fitting skirt that was over knee-length, a white belt with a silver buckle, a white blouse, and a white mask shaped like the infinity symbol.


The suit floated closer Julie’s form and wrapped itself around her and disappeared. Julie stared at Mr. Colossal in astonishment. “What...happened?” She asked.


         “That is now your suit.” Mr. Colossal said. “You merely have to call it forward as you would energy.”


         A second later, Julie’s suit came back, replacing her regular clothes instantly. Julie looked around at the others then at herself. “It’s this easy?” She asked.


         “Yes.” Mr. Colossal said. He tossed a fourth cube to Drew, who caught it. “Now you try, Drew.”


         Drew placed the energy in his hands and closed his eyes, thinking. An image came to his mind almost immediately. Someone that looked like him, dressed in a yellow vest and slacks, thick blue boots and belt, a blue mask to cover around his eyes and nose and a cape of blue with a red inside. He concentrated on the image in his mind and opened his eyes to see his suit take form and surround him before disappearing. He concentrated again and he felt his clothes transform while the mask covered his face.


         Brittany wasted no more time in opening her cube and doing like her two friends. She was rewarded when a suit was manifested and disappeared around her. She brought it onto her body, now dressed in a two-tone auburn and white one piece, with auburn gloves, slender half boots and a white mask like Julie’s around her eyes.


         Justin was last, creating a suit of navy blue with attached white gloves and boots. And finally, covering his eyes was a pair of goggles with black shaded lenses. “All I have to do with my armor now is add my newly finished wings.” Justin commented.


         “Well, kids, are you ready for today?” Mr. Colossal asked.


Drew shrugged and leaned against the wall. “Sure. What are we be doing today?”


         “Like I was saying before, we’ll be talking to people in the city.”


         “Can’t say I was expecting that.” Drew admitted. “But I’m ready to go.”








6





         People in this part of Los Angles knew not to get in the way of any gang fight that was fought here. That’s why any on the street always kept their distance when the fights occurred; like now.


         Two gangs approached each other from opposite sides of the streets, one group of humans while another consisted of mutants of various kinds. All of each group glared at the other in anger and hatred.


         The gang of humans, ranging from the ages of ten to fifty, took out knives and other objects they could use as weapons. None of their eyes showed any fear - even the children; all showed blind hatred in their eyes.


         The gang of mutants, having nearly the same range of ages, only had a few of them take objects into their hands as most didn’t seem to need them. Despite the similar hatred in their eyes, they looked more defensive than aggressive.


         Both gangs stopped twenty feet apart from each other in the street and stood silently facing each other for a little less than a minute. Finally, the leader of the human gang, a boy of twenty with spiked red hair, gave a vicious smile.


         “We’ve had enough of you freaks. You ain’t anything but a danger to normal people. We’ll take you all out and any others like you that are born.”


         “Don’t push us.” The mutant leader warned. “We don’t want to harm anyone - we aren’t like those mutants of NEO. But if you force us, we will fight to protect ourselves.”


         The members of both gangs started murmuring, however, when a group of four strangely dressed adolescents floated down from the sky and landed on the street between the gangs. There was no mistake from either of the gangs that these were heroes.


         “Heroes!” The human leader shouted. “Please help us exterminate these plagues of humanity.”


         “Don’t be deceived, heroes.” The head mutant shouted in reply. “They are inferior to us and you.”


         Drew glared intensely at the mutant gang. “No one is inferior!” He shouted harshly. Then he turned to the gang of humans. “And no one is superior!” He continued. “We are all brothers and sisters in existence.”


         “But it your job to exterminate evil, isn’t it?” The human leader protested.


         “Then why do you take it upon yourself to judge who is evil?” Brittany pointed out. “We don't judge; we only stop and try to prevent terrible situations.”


         “Forgive us.” The human asked. “We were only trying to protect ourselves.”


         “Why?” Justin asked. “What have these beings done to you?”


         “It’s not what they’ve done to us personally, it’s what they’ve done to others.” A member of the human gang shouted.


         “That’s not true!” A mutant shouted. “I’ve done nothing threatening or harmful to any human.” Several more mutants shouted agreements.


         “My little brother was murdered by a normal.” Another mutant shouted.


         Drew signaled for both gangs to stop their shouting before he addressed both gangs. “I charge all of you, on your honesty and honor, if you see any in the other gang that has personally wronged you. If you should find someone I promise that we will look into it. Otherwise, stop this fighting!”


         The members of both gangs found themselves doing what Drew requested and stayed silent when they couldn’t find anyone who had wronged them.


         Julie looked through both groups until she found an example she could use for the rest of them. “You.” She pointed at a ten-year-old of Aramaic descent. “Would you like others to prejudge you due to your age, race or looks?”


         “No ma’am.” The younger boy answered her.


         “Can you read?” Julie asked.


         “Yes.”


         “Would you hate anyone because they couldn’t?”


         The boy shook his head. “No.”


         “Then why would you judge someone who is different from yourself - especially when you may be similar in just as many ways?” She pointed over to an eleven-year-old girl with patches of white fur on her body. “Does she really seem so different? Why don’t you try making friends with her?” Julie suggested.


         The boy apprehensively threw his weapon away and slowly began walking over to the mutant girl. As he came closer to her, she tensed up in nervousness but threw away her own weapon.


         “Hi.” The boy greeted, his own nervousness apparent in his voice. “Uh, Do you like ice cream?”


         “Yes.” The girl admitted. “What's your favorite flavor?” She told him.


         “I like black cherry.” The boy told her. “What about you?”


         “Black cherry is good.” The mutant-girl agreed. “But my favorite is peanut butter. Do you want to get a cone?”


         “Sure.” The boy agreed. They ran off to the nearest treat shop.


         “Brothers,” Drew invited. “We all have to deal with crimes, but together we can be friends and help by stopping one crime at a time.”


         The four heroes watched as members of each gang cautiously approached individuals from the other and shook hands. After a few tense seconds, however, the caution seemed to have mostly flown away as the two groups intermingled and discussing this and that. Only a few of the members stayed separate. The heroes couldn’t help but feel proud.


         That was when Brittany spotted the black smoke.


         “Drew!” Brittany shouted.


         Drew caught sight of the smoke and ran toward its origin while the others followed after. A block later, Drew caught sight of a fifty-story building burning on the eighth floor; He wasted no more time in flying into the air to the fire.


         Drew began gathering energy to break through the window when Justin stopped him.


         “Wait! You might hit someone inside or give the fire oxygen.” Justin reminded him. He pointed to a higher floor “There’s a window open a few floors above. We’ll go in through there.”


         Drew nodded. “Right.” The girls flew up to meet them. “You three look for people who are trapped and in need of assistance – I’ll take care of the fire.”


         They nodded and flew a couple of floors up, Drew going in last. They coughed as the smoke filled their nostrils and burned their eyes.


         “Stairs are over here.” Justin struggled out before coughing again.


         “We need to lay on the floor.” Julie coughed. “There should be some air there.” She lay on her stomach as the others did the same.


         They could breath a little easier now as well as see better. “Let’s go.” Brittany said before they crawled down the stairs on their stomachs. As they reached the floor below, though, they had to stop.


         “The floor is too hot.” Justin shouted.


         Drew crawled up beside him. “I’ll take care of it. Follow me!” He shouted to the other three. He went ahead of them and began absorbing the excess heat in the room as they went along to the stairs on the opposite side of floor.


They found the other stairs at last and crawled their way down them as well while Drew absorbed the heat. As they reached the eighth floor, Drew stopped the other three at the stairs.


         “Wait here!” He told them. “I’m going to center of this floor and neutralize the heat. I’ll call for you when I’m ready and then you guys need to look for people still in here.”


         “Okay.” Justin said with a nod.


         Drew stood up and ran for the center, trying to ignore his lungs that were screaming for oxygen. When he reached what he believed was the center of the eighth floor, he collapsed back onto the floor gasping for any air he could find.


         He felt dizzy but commanded himself to focus on neutralizing the room’s heat. The effect was that the smoke dropped down and Drew once again tried to milk the floor’s atmosphere for oxygen.


         “Go now!” Drew shouted before a coughing fit seized him. Distantly, he could hear his three teammates jump up and search the rooms frantically while he concentrated on keeping the temperature at a tolerable level.


         The other three made short work of checking the floor finding only two boys and a woman in her mid-thirties. Justin broke out a window that caused several flames to blossom and he and Brittany grabbed the three individuals before flying down to the streets below.


         “Drew!” Julie shouted from the window. “The floors clear. Let’s get out of here.”


         “You go! I’m going to extinguish this fire.” Drew responded. He hacked up some mucus. He couldn’t see it but he imagined it was black. His mind threatened to shut down but he concentrated on absorbing the flames around him.


         A vacuum seemed to appear from him, causing all the flames within its reach to be pulled into Drew’s body and causing frost to cover everything on the floor. Finally, however, his body’s lack of oxygen caught up with him and he passed out.


         Julie’s body was cold due to the frost, but she didn’t care. The smoke was dropping to the floor rapidly, letting her breath, but she didn’t care about that either. “Drew!” She shouted desperately.


         She ran back into the now frigid floor of the building and began searching for Drew. “Drew!” She shouted again. She couldn’t see anything on the floor because of the smoke.


         Suddenly her foot hit something soft. She knelt down and felt for the object with her hand. Her hand brushed against what felt like a hand. Blindly, Julie placed her arms around the body and pulled it up.


         She stood Drew up and placed her arms under his armpits before placing his arms around her neck. She was wondering how they were going to get out like they were when Drew coughed and sucked in air.


         Drew pulled his head back, opened his eyes and looked at Julie with a dizzy gaze. He brought his hand to his head and held it. “My head is killing me.” He grumbled.


         “Drew.” Julie said softly. “We still need to get out of here.”


         Drew groaned in agony. “Sure.”


         “Can you hold on to me while I fly down to the ground?” Julie asked.


         Drew nodded, the winced. “Yeah.” He wrapped his hands tightly around Julie’s neck and they walked back to the window. Julie lifted them off the floor and flew out the window before descending on the street below.


         A crowd, now quite large, applauded and cheered for the four of them as police, the fire department, and news vans arrived. The first news crew to reach them was lead by Ms. Summers, the reporter Drew had seen on HV before going after Mr. Colossal.


         “Excuse me, sir.” She addressed Drew, giving him a flirtatious smile. “Would you mind explaining to the people of the world who their new friends are? Are you four here to replace Mr. Colossal since he is now retired?” Summers inquired.


         “Our job is not replace Mr. Colossal.” Drew said seriously. “Nor is it to make ourselves famous. Our only purpose is to serve the world and stop whatever injustices we can.”


         Ms. Summers reluctantly moved her microphone over to Julie. “Please tell us, who is leader of your team?”


         “No one leads, because we are all equal in this battle.” Julie said. With that she lifted off and the other three followed.








7





         Phil Serrings turned on the VPCU he had been issued by the council. Unfortunately, if the queen and her advisor were right, there wasn’t much of a council left. The facts were confirmed when the phone was finished booting up. There were only three other active phones.


         ‘Is that all that is left of the council?’ He selected the name of George Qaxuh and sent out a signal, ready to take any action necessary if these weren’t members of the council.


         He relaxed when he saw the face of the humanoid shark, which he recognized from the council. This boy and two other of his peers came from the same system as Drew. ‘Zalgo.’ Phil reminded himself. ‘That is who he truly is.’


         “Hello?” George asked curiously, from the other end of the line. He caught sight of Phil’s masked face. This man, while not powerful, was a legend even in the Superbeing Council of Gizan. “Mr. Colossal! Is that truly you?”


         “Yes...George, I believe.” George nodded on the screen and Phil continued. “Tell me, please, what news of the council and the queen?”


         George cast his eyes down in sadness as he answered. “The queen is dead, sir. The council was slaughtered by the forces of Su’kon. My friends and I are not sure if any others survived.”


         “Your group - how many of you are with you now?” Phil asked.


         “There is only Derrick, Amber, and myself on this ship.” George told him.


         “Three of you, then? You are all from the Honuan system, are you not?” He asked George.


         George nodded. “That is correct, sir. Why do you ask?”


         ‘Queen Ceda mentioned that she would send three on the mission.’ Phil thought. ‘It makes sense that she should send these three.’ “I ask because I have Prince Zalgo and the new Peace Queen with me right now. Are you on your way here for them?”


         Amber Dren came into view. “That’s right, Counselor Serrings. We were told by Queen Ceda herself to accompany and bring them to Heradi to train.”


         “I await your arrival then, dear children.” Phil told them.


         “We will be there shortly,” Amber told Phil. “Farewell.” She reached over and hung up the VPCU.


         Phil put his VPCU away. “You’re time is almost here, my children. I hope you will be strong enough.”








8





         While the four young heroes were still airborne, Drew caught sight of Phil’s hero form.


         “Mr. Colossal!” Drew cried out. “Where have you been?”


         Mr. Colossal smiled. “I figured I’d let you four test the waters by yourselves.” He regarded them with an inquiring eyebrow. “How did it go so far?”


         “It was great.” Brittany said excitedly. “We managed to stop a gang fight peaceably and then we rescued people in a burning building before putting the fire out.”


         “Well, I’m glad you were able to help.” Mr. Colossal told the four. “Now, what do you say we take the rest of the day off? We’ll only make an appearance if we’re needed, okay? After all, I've been working you all so hard for almost a month and we all need a break.”


         “That sounds fine, but how do we transform back?” Justin asked.


         He glanced around the street to make sure no one was paying attention to them. Seeing no one, he motioned for the dead end ally behind him. “Follow me.” He instructed.


         When they were deep in the ally, Mr. Colossal stopped them. Before their very eyes Mr. Colossal disappeared, replaced by Phil Serrings. “Go on.” Phil urged them. A minute later, four normal teenagers replaced the hero quartet.


         Phil suddenly pulled out a large wad of cash. “Do you guys feel like shopping?”


         Justin gawked at the wad. “Are those all five-hundred-dollar bills?” He asked, already calculating the mass. He saw Phil nod his head. “That’s two-hundred and fifty thousand dollars!”


         “Are you serious?” Julie asked.


         “Yes.” Phil said. “He’s right. I have a lot of money from my hero days. This is not even a fraction of my fortune. I’ll give you access to my account so that you can buy anything you want or need.”


         “Swiging!” Drew shouting, using the modern slang. “Let’s go to the mall.”


         “I’m game.” Brittany said.


         “Yeah, sounds good.” Julie agreed.


         Justin nodded. “Lead the way, ladies.” He invited, falling behind the two.








9





         Los Angles, along with being famous for Hollywood, also currently had the world’s biggest mall. Matter Transporters were placed all over so that people could get to the desired shop instantaneously.


         Drew was scanning through the mall’s directory of shops. He stopped and smiled when he found something that caught his interest.


         “What is it?” Julie asked as she noticed his smile.


         “How does everyone feel about Hot Springs?” He asked everyone.


         Brittany gasped. “There’s even a hot spring in here?”


         Drew nodded. “Among other things.” He said.


         "Sounds good to me." Julie said. “But we don’t have any swimming wear.”


         “What about our energy suits?” Justin asked Phil. “If I understand right, we can change the form of our suits.”


         Phil nodded. “You’ve got it right. You can also add strength and armor to your suits by adding more energy to it.”


         “So, what about the hot spring?” Brittany asked. “Are we going?”


         The rest of them cheered before heading to an available Group Matter Transporter.








10





         The group of five made themselves comfortable in the hot water, relaxing from their shoulders down. Still sore from last night’s training session, the four youngest enjoyed the water greatly, all of them tilting there heads back on the edge of the pool. They had this pool all to themselves.


         After half an hour of wading lazily in the water, Julie opened her eyes, finding Brittany unaware and she grinned mischievously. Sitting back up carefully, she readied her hands and prepared to strike.


         Brittany gasped when warm spring water was flung on her. She sat up, her heart racing from the startle. She immediately counter-attacked, using her hands to throw water at her temporary foe and continuing a fight between themselves. After a couple of minutes,they all relaxed once more, sitting back .


         Julie was the first to speak after a while of silence. “Phil?”


         “Yes, Julie?”


         “If you don’t mind, I’d like to know the story of how you became a superhero. I’ve read the history books about the world massacre and your arrival in the middle of it as Mr. Colossal, but I don’t completely trust them. If you don’t mind...”


         “I don’t mind telling you.” Phil told his children. “It was July 2018 when the World Massacre began. Issues arose in the United Nation that caused extreme divisions and collapse of the world government. It wasn’t even every country for itself because eighty percent of the countries world-wide split into two or more smaller countries, each one searching for allies who had similar enough causes for them to join. There were around eight major war factions, each one fighting against the other seven during the war.”


         “I was a boy of sixteen at the time, living in what was once called Alberta, Canada. I was for the war at that time, supporting the faction allies of Southern Canada, what was then called the Western United States, Germany and Japan. A year and a half later, when I was hardly over eighteen, I joined the army and was stationed over at Germany at one of my faction’s bases.


         “I was so psyched when I got there that I was ready to kill anything that stood in the way of the Black Warrior faction. That changed quickly. I learned what real bloodshed was like those next few months. It was after four months that I made one true friend in that chaos - Senshi Hitotsu. We came to an agreement that the war was pointless, though we never spoke so in public, for it was treason.


         “Two weeks later came the battle known as the Berlin Slaughter. I...”


         “Wait a minute.” Justin interrupted. “The Berlin Slaughter? The battle where five of the eight factions were wiped out?”


         “Yes. I was the only survivor of my troop for reasons I don’t know, but it helped me to see how wrong I was to have chosen any side in that blood-bath. I found Senshi - barely alive, when I found him - and tried to nurse his wounds, but it did no good.”














11





         Twenty-eight Earth years ago. Earth Year: 2020 CE





         “Phirip.” Came the weak reply of Hitotsu Senshi, his accent strong.


         “Don’t speak, Senshi.” Phil urged gently.


         “I’m going to die, Phirip.” Senshi responded. “I wish to ask a request of you.”


         “Yes?” Phil asked. “I will do whatever I can.”


         “Do you see the katana I wear on my hip?” Senshi asked.


         “I do.” Phil said. “What do you want done?”


         “That sword that has been in my famiry for untold time. Some say was first katana, a regendary sword said to have extreme power when right descendant awaken it. Prease, if you should rive through ungodry war, I pray you take dis back to my wife and daughter.”


         “Aye. I will do that.” Phil said, his eyes strangely dry from tears.


         “Arigato, Phirip-san. I see her.”


         A pair of shadows covering him and his friend, startled Phil and he began to flee despite his oath. That was when the gentle, loving voice of an older man stopped him and he turned.


         “Do not fear us, young warrior.” The man comforted. He was a man with an alien look to his clothes, but he was human, tan, looked about thirty or forty, with long brunette hair, hazel eyes, and a trim beard. “We are of no faction. We are neutral and this war is not business of ours.”


         Phil watched as a young, oriental woman with blood-red hair knelt and began speaking Japanese with Senshi, her eyes wet with tears of both joy and sadness.


         “I am at peace.” Senshi finally said, in English, before his chest stopped moving and he was silent evermore.


         The young woman stared at the corpse a moment longer before reaching for the katana. Phil became alarmed but did not flee. Finally, the girl held the sword out to him. “Young warrior, you have a mission to fulfill for your dead friend. Take this to his family and tell them what has happened.”


         Phil took the sword and bowed. “Yes, ma’am.”


         That was when the alien clothed man handed him a thick book. “Take this for yourself and read it well, young man, for we wish for you to know these legends.”


         “Thank you, sir.”


         “Farewell, good warrior. Be on your way.” With a blinding flash the man and the woman were gone.








12





         Present.





         “Did you ever find out who they were?” Brittany asked.


         “No, that is something I still haven’t been able to figure out. I do know, however, that they were there to help me. They had a...heroic look to them."


         “That book that they gave you - what was it?” Julie asked.


         “It was called The Chronicles of Enjanas, written by a woman named Kibu Alphia. It contains the story of Enjanas as well as that of Pontain which I have already summarized to Drew.”


         “Why would this hero couple give you this book?” Justin asked.


         “Let me tell you the Enjanas legend because they obviously wanted me to know it, even if I still don't know why.” Phil began. “Trillions of years before our universe was here, there lived a family of beings: two parents and their twenty-four children who are each identified in the book by the letters of the Greek alphabet. Only two of the children were actually named - Enjanas and Antaris; Alphia and Omega.


         “It says in the legend that Enjanas, the first born, was the first being to discover External and Mental Energy. It goes on to tell of how the other children discovered and invented new things as well - with the exception of one.”


         “Antaris?” Drew asked.


         Phil nodded. “He began to hate his brothers and sisters to the point where he murdered twenty-two of them.”


         “Enjanas was the only one left.” Justin said.


         Again, Phil nodded. “It was between those two that a battle occurred. Antaris had won but he was badly injured and went into recovery sleep. Enjanas, who had fled the battle, was also badly injured. She wandered for years across different universes, holding onto her life.


         “One day she stumbled and fell in a rocky area and got a piece of metal stuck in her arm. It was there that she discovered a metal that is so extremely rare that few beings in all universes have heard of it. Even fewer have seen it. This matter - which is many more things besides metal - is called Chrononium.”


         “Chrononium?” Justin asked aloud, tasting the word on his tongue. “Chrono...time. To have time take any physical form would require extreme pressure of unknown origin.”


         “That’s exactly what Chrononium is. It’s a phenomenon where time is so tight that it takes physical attributes. It gives a new meaning to the expression 'pressed for time'.


         “Anyway, Enjanas used the metal Chrononium to forge a sword, which she then used to run herself through, spreading herself over time and universes, leaving only an orb in her place. Consequently, the sword itself disappeared through time.”


         “What does the story have to do with anything?” Brittany asked.


         “I don’t know. I don’t think I ever will. But that book showed me how to use energy as well, which I have put to good use on a few occasions.”


         “Can we see this book?” Justin inquired.


         Phil nodded. “I will show it to the four of you when we get back.”








13





         It was a thick book by any standard and actual written words that were penned and not typed, looking like sixteenth century Germanic font. It looked worn by centuries of age. Justin had guessed that it must have held over three thousand pages, and he was not far off.


         “Its amazing just look at it.” Brittany commented.


         “That it is." Phil agreed. He was across the room, appearing to look for something, searching in several areas. Finally, he let out a sound of triumph when he found it.


         “What did you find, Phil?” Drew asked.


         “Chrononium.” Phil told them.


         They all were taken back by that response; especially Justin. “That stuff actually exists?” He asked, not believing what he was being told.


         “Oh, yes.” Phil told him.


         “But that’s impossible!” Justin protested. “Time only exists in our minds. It is nothing more than us keeping track of the rate something decays or an event that has happened. There is no way to press it to a physical form.”


         Phil calmed the boy down. “My boy, you are thinking in human terms. Despite what mankind thinks, we know far from everything. There are beings in our universe and others that can stump those whom we would think to have unfathomable wisdom.” He shrugged. “Besides, you may be interested to know that for many different languages in the universe, ‘chrono’ can also refer to reality or the universe itself.”


         “Are you trying to tell us that extra-terrestrials actually exist?” Julie asked.


         “You bet I am.” Phil said. “In fact, you will meet a few shortly. They are all from the same system that one of you comes from.” He told them as he picked up one of the four syringes he had brought out.


         “Wh-what do you mean?” Brittany asked, perplexed and a little scared.


         “One of you were not born on Earth or in the Sol system, not even in the Milky Way. They have never known it themselves, but I think you all know who now.” Everyone looked at Drew, who was stunned by the news.


         “It makes sense.” Drew muttered. “My fascination of heat and fire; the absorbing of the bomb; all of it. I’m not even human.”


         Phil shook his head at the last statement. “No, Drew, you are human and you belong among us; you’re just from another planet.”


         Drew looked at the syringe in Phil’s hand and continued the previous discussion. “So thats Chrononium?” He asked, changing the subject.


         Phil nodded. “In a liquid form, yes. I found these and one more in a hidden compartment of that book along with a request to given it to four apprentices of mine.”


         “How do you know these won’t kill us?” Drew asked skeptically.


         “I gave the fifth one to myself.” Phil replied. “Once it’s in your bloodstream, your body will absorb it and you'll supposedly be able to live forever so long as you aren’t killed in an accident or battle.” The four watched as Phil’s face transformed, turning younger. The younger Phil smiled. “You can even change ages and height after your bodies completely mature at around thirty.”


         Drew reached up and poked under the left eye, confirming that Phil was younger, maybe twenty or so. “Incredible!” Drew exclaimed.


         Suddenly, there was an explosion from outside the room, hurtling chunks from the northern wall of the study toward the group. Young Phil twisted around, quickly erecting an energy shield to block and vaporize the flying debris.


         The room past the energy shield was clear but the rest of the room from the absent wall to the shield was clouded. The team of five searched through the dust, but none of them could make anything out clearly.


         “What was that, do you think?” Brittany asked, looking to the rest of her teammates for an answer.


         That was when a breeze began blowing dust out through a hole in the wall, eventually revealing three individuals: what seemed to be an avian-sapien, a  relative of the Utahraptor genus and a masked young man of around twenty years. It was the last one who spoke to the group of heroes. “That was us, young heroine.”


         The boy of twenty then caught sight of Phil. “It’s Counselor Serrings!” He exclaimed, but his two associates had already noticed. “One of the most infamous Counselor of Gizan’s Superbeing Council in the flesh.”


         Phil just glared at the trio. “What do you villains want?” He asked, holding back no venom.


         “We seek the Chrononium you posses, Counselor” The human bird explained. “Yeros sent us to this universe on a mission and we need your supply to get back home.”


         Phil continued to glare at the trio, keeping the shield up. “Drew.” He called. “Take this syringe and inject the Chrononium into your blood stream.” By then the three strangers had began assaulting the energy barrier with energy and body slams. Phil cringed with effort to reinforce their defenses while handing the syringe to Drew at the same time. “The rest of you do the same. Hurry!”


         Drew jabbed the syringe needle into the vein of his left arm and pushed the liquid inside his body. The other three of his friends each grabbed another syringe and followed his example.


         “Drop the shield, Phil!” Drew yelled, calling forth his armor.


         Phil complied and dropped to the floor, grazed by several shots of energy that flew by.


         The three villains did not have time to adjust strategies before Drew shoved them all back outside with three of his own energy shots. Gravity began to pull them down before they could counter it, but Drew wasn’t going to give them a chance; he ran to the hole in the wall and lunged out after them.


         “Drew, don’t!” Phil called after him, but it was too late. He quickly turned to his other three apprentices. “We have to follow him! He can’t face them by himself.”


         Julie was the one who took the lead in the ensuing, followed by the Justin and Brittany before Phil himself got up and brought the rear. Julie dove out the new window and transformed, the other three following suit. Once the four of them gained control of flying they took off west, where the sun was setting and Drew was chasing the villainous trio into a small park.


         Now on the ground, the bird creature tried to take flight, but Justin fired shots to keep it from lifting off. Finally, they surrounded the triad, forcing them to stop. That was, until they managed to shoot off into the air.


         “You’ll pay for this humiliation someday.” The saurus-creature said. “Yeros will back us in our revenge. Beware our master, heroes.”


         The five heroes watched the three disappear up into upper atmosphere. That was when Mr. Colossal VPCU rang. Mr. Colossal brought it out and answered it while the other watched on curiously.


         Amber was on the other end with a raised eyebrow when she saw his younger appearance. “Uh, Counselor?” She inquired.


         He shook his head. “Never mind my younger appearance, Counselor Dren. What did you call for?”


         “Well, we’re almost there and we’ll need to cloak our presence for the sake of Earthlings.” Amber explained. “We’d also like the coordinates of where you’ll be meeting us.”


         Mr. Colossal nodded and started typing on the keypad. “Okay. I’m sending you the jamming codes you’ll need to block satellite feed and the like. The last thing I’m sending is the direct coordinates of our rendezvous.”


         A second later, Amber nodded. “We’ll meet you there.”


         The call was terminated and Mr. Colossal put his phone away. He looked at his four friends. “Let’s go for a flight, shall we?” He suggested to them. “I’ll explain more later.” He lifted off the ground and the others followed, heading toward a small island in the middle of the Pacific.








14





         The sensation hit Amber an instant after she hung up - the tingling numbness in the mind, the screams of the mentally unstable beings that were her people. She collapsed back, caught by George and Derrick.


         “What is it?” George asked her, concerned.


         “I...feel them.” She struggled out, trying to explain. “They’ve been...following us, heading...for Earth like we...are.”


         “Why?” Derrick asked.


         “I don’t...know why; Faal is with them, though.”


         Derrick returned to piloting.


         “How many?” George inquired.


         “I can’t say...perhaps four.”


         “All right Amber, listen.” George instructed. “I need you to concentrate on blocking their MindTalk and ThoughtProbes, okay? Focus on creating and maintaining a barrier.”


         Amber grimaced, but nodded.


         George nodded as well. “Good. Don’t worry about anything - Derrick has control of the ship and we can take care of them when we have the Peace Queen and Prince Zalgo.”


         That seemed to put Amber at ease as their ship descended into Earth’s atmosphere.








15





         “So why did that man and that girl call you a Counselor, Phil? And what is Gizan?” Julie asked. She was sitting on a boulder on the rendezvous island with the rest of them.


         “Gizan is the original name of our universe, Julie. As for the Counselor comment, I served as one in the Superbeing council.”


         “Superbeing council?” Drew asked. “What exactly is that?”


         “It was something founded by a girl named Ceda twenty thousand years ago, when she discovered an orb that displayed amazing power when held by her. It was this orb that she used to unite Gizan - which was divided by war at the time. Upon bringing peace, she was unanimously named the Peace Queen - charged with keeping peace in the universe against threats within and outside our universe. It was then that she gathered superbeings to her cause.”


         “What do you mean by superbeings?” Justin asked.


         “Those who have special abilities above other beings, such as use of a specific energies types or mastered skill over normal energy.” Phil explained.


         “Wait.” Drew interrupted. “The way you explained it to me, I thought that anybody could use energy.”


         Phil nodded. “You weren’t mistaken. But very few beings know how and they only have the ability to use basic energy; not heat, cold, electrical, sound, light, dark and so on. But there are a few out there that can use more than one type. For Example, Drew can absorb and release heat and use that along with regular energy while the rest of you can’t.”


         “Will we now be a part of this council?” Brittany asked.


         “No.” Phil said firmly with a shake of his head. “This council is dead - slaughtered by the advancing forces of the Su’kon universe - and so has the queen, of old age. You will be the founders of a new council, with Julie as the new Peace Queen.”


         Phil’s last sentence struck a blow of shock to Julie. “I told you that you would have an important role, Julie.”


         “Is that why these beings are coming here to meet us?” Justin asked.


         Before Phil could answer, they heard something coming toward them. They looked up and there was a giant spaceship, landing twenty feet from where they were.


         “Ah, I believe that is the Heriteace.” Phil commented.















































































































































Su’kon &


Yeros






























































Five











         The morning air was clear that morning and a seven-year-old human girl by the name of Thea was looking forward to the rest of the day. She turned away from the window so she could wake her parents. She ran to her father’s side of the bed and began to hurriedly shake him awake.


         “Daddy! Mommy! It’s morning.” She pleaded happily.


         Her father opened his eyes and yawned. “Okay, honey, we’re up. Half of Hewazar isn’t even up yet and you expect miracles out of your mother and I.”


         Thea’s mom rubbed the sleep from her eyes and pulled the covers from off her body. “Why don’t you go outside and play while we get ready to leave, Thea?” Just then the sky darkened in an instant. “What is that?” She asked.


         “Relax, darling.” Her husband soothed. “It must be the solar eclipse that was expected this month. Go ahead and play, Thea.”


         Thea nodded. “Yes, Daddy.” She put her shoes on and stepped outside, running into the thick woods that surrounded her house. Minutes later, there was a huge wind that would have thrown her down had she not been in among the trees. She also noticed that the solar eclipse was finally over. She paid it no mind and ran into her favorite clearing.


         As she ran into the clearing, she took notice of a group of ships both landing and landed. Thea didn’t like how the ships were shaped - they seemed violent.


         She turned to run back to her house, suddenly afraid, but someone caught her by the arm. She was jerked to a stop and she screamed.


         “Supreme General,” Her capture called - obviously a woman by the voice. “It looks as if we’ve been spotted. Shall I terminate her?”


         The person the individual seemed to be talking to came up to the two of them, while Thea continued to struggle. He placed a hand on her shoulder, making her yield her resistance at once.


         He smiled at her, chilling her to the bone. It wasn’t that his smile was hideous. Actually, he didn’t seem threatening at all in appearance or mannerisms. There was just something else about him that scared her.


         “No, Lieutenant.” He told the woman. “Don’t hurt her or any of the other children.” He patted Thea gently on the head. “I have a plan for them. You go ahead and keep this one as your student.”








2





The spaceship opened up and a ebony-hair girl their age stepped out, followed by a creature that was a tall, bipedal human-shark and another tall one that reminded the four human adolescents of an alien in a HoloMovie.


         They walked up to Phil and bowed. “Forgive us, Counselor Serrings, but we must leave immediately.” The girl said. “A group of Warui Atama have followed us here and we must flee soon.”


         Phil nodded gravely. “I see.”


         The alien who was seven feet tall, spoke. “Are these the one’s we want? Which one’s are the Queen and Prince.”


         Phil motioned to his charges. “These are our new rulers and companions, my children: Prince Zalgo Melzu, Queen Julie Jackson, Brittany Smith, and Justin Bell.”


         “Impossible!” The man-shark said in a tone that could only be anger. He glared at the four young humans frighteningly. “We came here for warriors, not four civilians.”


         “These are them, I assure you.” Phil assured. “Anyway, you must take them and go. We’re not only racing against the Warui Atama but Su’kon’s forces.”


         The shark growled. “Very well. You speak the truth, Counselor.”


         Phil turned to his four charges, his children. “The time has finally arrived for you four to leave. I have taught you all I can in this past month and now you must charge into your roles as the new peace keepers.”


         Drew looked at Phil. “What are you saying, Phil?” Drew asked.


         “You have no future on Earth, son. You must go and care for your own people and the rest of this universe.”


         “Come with us, Phillip.” Brittany pleaded.


         Phil shook his head. “I will stay here. It is my duty to guard this planet until my death and that is what I will do. Just as you four have no future here, neither do I out there.”


         “But...” Julie began.


         “Your majesty, you must all hurry. Go!” Phil commanded.


         None of them argued, the three aliens ran back into the ship, followed by four former residents of Earth.


No one said farewell before the ship blasted off, but four of the seven adolescents on-board looked out of space-glass windows to a man they had come to think of as a father figure.


         When the ship was out of sight, Phil looked on. “Goodbye, my children.”








3





Amber piloted the ship out of Earth’s orbit before setting it on autopilot and glanced to the four new passengers. “It is an honor to meet you all. My name is Amber Dren and these are my friends George Qaxuh and Derrick Sobyu. We were sent to bring you to Heradi, who will train you to fight Su’kon’s forces.”


         “Who is Su’kon?” Justin asked.


         “He is a being that possesses the heart of another universe. He is using his control over that universe to fight against the forces of Gizan.”


         “Why is he so interested in Gizan?” Drew asked.


         “It is not necessarily Gizan that Su’kon wants, it is the orb of the Peace Queen he wants.”


         “What good would this orb to him?” Justin asked.


         “If he were able to manifest his power into the orb, he could transform it into the Destructive Orb and could use it to destroy any universe he desires.”


         “Why would he want to do that?” Brittany asked.


         “Who knows?” George asked, angry. “All we know is that he’s a threat to this universe and several others and that we have to fight to stop him. That’s all I need to know.”


         “So why are we needed?” Julie asked. “What good are we going to be?”


         “As the new Peace Queen you are the only one we can entrust with the orb.” Amber said. She handed Julie an opaque orb, which began to shine pure white as bright as a sun. “In your hands the orb will transform into the Peace Orb, which can be used to destroy those of a truly evil nature and heal those under their power.”


         “What about the rest of us?” Justin asked. “Where do we fit in to all of this?”


         Derrick shook his head. “We’re not sure about you and the other girl,” He pointed to Drew, “But he is the prince of the Honuan Empire; our system.”


         “Why does that make me so important to this mission?” Drew asked.


         “Because you now possess great power and you may be our best chance to defeat your cousin, the leading general of Su’kon.” Amber said. “Maybe even the rest of your family.”


         “How is it that my family works for Su’kon?” Drew asked.


         “Your uncle, Galgor Melzu, desired the Honuan throne. We believe he approached Su’kon of his own free will and was given the power to deceive the people of Honu, making them believe that your parents and sister had committed treason. Galgor probably intended to kill you and the rest of your family, but after the Honuan people sent you to Earth, your uncle and the rest of your family disappeared.” Derrick said. “Su’kon uses them as puppets.”


         “Is there any way to save them?” Drew asked.


         “I honestly don’t know.” Amber replied.


         “Heres something else I'm curios about: how do you know the language of Earth?” Justin asked the three.


         “Latin is the universal language of Gizan.” Derrick explained. “It's not just from Earth.”


         The ship shook suddenly.


         “Something hit our ship.” Amber told them. “I have a bad feeling about what it was. Come on, I think the Warui Atama are here.”


         The group of seven gathered around the ship’s entrance and Derrick opened the ship up.


         “Wait a minute.” Justin yelled as the vacuum of space entered the ship. “How are we supposed to breathe without air.”


         “Don’t worry, we’ve already set a shield around everyone to provide heat and oxygen outside the ship.”


         “What about the vacuum?”


         “I wouldn’t worry about the vacuum.” George said as he saw four creatures fill everyone’s view. These creatures held varying shapes that were difficult to describe as their appearances shifted every moment.


         Derrick and George instantly changed back into their human forms and left the safety of the ship. Amber also went under an instant transformation, her clothes replaced by some weird, alien armor. She went out after her two companions.


         The four who remained in the ship, stayed there at first, until Drew transformed and jumped out into space. He kept going until Amber stopped his advance. When the others got the courage to follow Drew’s lead, Amber helped them as well.


         At first, the four Atamas were unsure how to react. Finally, to the heroes’ amazement, all the Atamas let out thunderous laughs. Drew saw it as the perfect opportunity. “Julie, use the Peace Orb.”


         Julie couldn't hear him in the void but she got his idea and focused her energy through the orb, releasing white energy that swept over the four enigmas with stunning speed and accuracy. But the Atamas seemed unaffected by the blast and charged at the group.


         Drew acted fast, firing a round of energy in the hopes of hitting one. He succeeded, but it ended up having no effect. The Warui Atama he'd hit turned its attention on him, ‘floating’ over to him incredibly fast, claws ready to dig into flesh.


         Drew closed his eyes to prepare of the strike, but suddenly felt a barrier go up around him. The creature that had pursued him had slammed into a wall of nothing. He looked behind him to see Amber. She threw an object at him, which he caught in his hand - a sword and sheath of alien design. He nodded his gratitude to her and unsheathed his sword. The double-edged, metal blade melted, turning into a blade of hot liquid metal. He turned back around driving the blade into a limb of the dazed Atama.


         Drew kicked the creature back, off his blade, and hurtled backward into empty space. He glanced around the ‘battlefield’ to ensure his friends’ safety. Amber was now over with Julie and Justin with another while George and Derrick was with Brittany on the second one left.


         One was missing. Drew hurriedly looked around for it and found it floating in space by itself - making no attempt to attack any of them or help it’s comrades.


         They would deal to that when they came to it. Right now, Drew focused on the closest Atama – the one fighting with Amber, Julie and Justin. He pointed the sword blade at it and used energy to propel him toward it, ready to slice.


         The liquid blade cut through the creature, ripping it in two and sending the two halves hurling into the void. Drew and Amber turned to the third attacker, where Brittany had just fired a shot of energy. The Warui Atama shielded itself from the blast before turning to retreat from the trio. Drew, Julie, and Justin watched as Amber stretched her hand out to the distant Atama.


         The fleeing Atama stopped suddenly, like it had hit a wall. It turned it’s head in the quartet’s direction and hissed at Amber. Though they couldn’t hear the hiss in space, they were all struck with a ‘noise’ in their minds, leaving them grabbing their head in vein to stop it.


         Had Drew been able to think at that moment, he would have been reminded of the sound used for the Emergency Broadcast System, only amplified in pitch and pain.


         Drew’s vision began to blur as the noise continued, slipping away from consciousness. Suddenly, far away light began to travel across his unfocused sight, striking a figure. The noise stopped and Drew found himself coming back, his vision clearing. He saw George on one side of the beam of yellow light, pushing it at the Warui Atama who had a shield to block the attack. That was when he noticed that the side of the creature facing them was unguarded.


         ‘I’ll take care of it.’ Amber thought. Drew and the others jumped hearing her voice in their heads.


         Amber closed her eyes and a second later, the Atama grabbed its head, forcing the shield to drop. An instant later, George’s energy beam slammed into it. The seven friends heard a mental scream enter their minds.


         ‘We need to help George.’ Amber thought to the other five on her team. ‘Fire your energy and hit the Warui Atama.’ She raised her hand and started firing an energy beam of her own, Justin and Julie joining her. Beside George, Brittany and Derrick joined in.


         Drew raised his hand to fire, forgetting that his sword was still in his hand. Energy traveled from Drew’s hand into the sword hilt and eventually the blade. A powerful orange beam of energy shot from the hot, liquid blade, throwing Drew back as the energy sped forward. It collided with the Atama and helped the other energy beams vaporize the creature.


         Drew stared at the sword astounded. Then, he remembered the last Warui Atama. He turned to it and prepared to launch himself over to it, sword ready to strike.


         ‘Wait, Lord Zalgo.’ Amber pleaded. ‘He’s not going to harm us. He is my brother.’ Drew looked back to the girl in astonishment. She, however, floated past him, toward the creature. ‘Faal, why did your comrades attack us?’


         ‘Sister, I had no idea that you and your friends were aboard or I would not have come. Supreme General of Su’kon, Zalmon Melzu, hired us to pursue and destroy the ship you were on.’


         ‘Brother, maybe you could help us defeat the forces of Su’kon. We may yet find a cure.’


         Faal shook his head. ‘While I may not harm you, I’m too unpredictable. I wish you victory for you and the council, sister.’


         ‘The council is destroyed, Faal.’ Amber told the Atama. ‘We are all that remain.’


         Faal was silent for a moment. ‘I suspected as much. But I have hope that you may still win - I sense great power among you all. Farewell.’ Faal turned to his left and left, disappearing in the distance after a while.





4





         The seven members of the team transformed to their original forms and headed back to the ship. When they were safely on the ship again, Drew pointed the sword at Amber’s back. She stopped moving, feeling the heat from the close liquid blade. George let out a growl and started to advance on Drew, but Derrick blocked his murderous path.


         “George,” Amber spoke. “It’s all right.” She slowly turned around. “You are upset about something, Prince Zalgo.” She observed.


         “You think!” Drew said, sarcastically. “You lied to us. That orb you gave Julie had no effect on those creatures.”


         “I didn’t lie to you, Prince.” Amber explained. “It does work, but not always on the insane.”


         “What do you mean?” Justin asked.


         “When an individual is insane, their mind is unbalanced and they can’t control all of their actions.”


         “Right.” Justin agreed with a nod.


         “Because of that, they might be dangerous but not necessarily evil.” Amber said.


         “Are you saying that it won’t always work on any mentally ill, criminally insane or otherwise?” Julie asked.


         Amber nodded. “Unfortunately, yes.”


         Drew glared at Amber. “If your brother is one of them, does that mean you are a threat to us?”


         Amber shook her head. “I don’t suffer from insanity like my brother.”


         “What was the deal with the invisible walls out there?” Drew asked her. “And the ‘Thought Conversations’ and their ‘Brain Scrambler’?”


         “The Atama and Warui Atama are what some might call ‘Mentals’. We can use Mental Energy freely for picking up physical objects, creating temporary objects and forces and talking with our thoughts, called MindTalk.”


         “Wait; You’re saying we just fought three psychopath psychics?” Brittany asked. “That’s not a good combination.”


         Drew finally sheathed the sword, the hot metal becoming solid again. “What is this Mental Energy? Phil never spoke of it.”


         “Phil?” Amber asked, confused.


         Drew sighed. “Counselor Serrings.” He explained to her.


         “Oh. Mental Energy is a non-physical type of energy a being’s mind can use to send things like a message. In an emergency, the mind can sometimes send a message of help out, but it usually takes a lot out of someone when they do. As an Atama, I can use Mental Energy for anything without the effect of it tiring me out.”


         “Well, how is it you two were able to change shape?” Justin asked George and Derrick.


         Derrick shrugged. “We only have two forms: our human form and the ones you see us in now. All three of us are multi-species but we all have a human half to us. I am also half Grokvosian while George’s majority of ancestries are species of fish and amphibian. We don’t need to use energy when we shift between our two forms.”


         “Does this mean that you too have a second form?” Julie asked Amber.


         Amber shook her head. “My form and the form of each of my people depend on our mentality. However, my form is restricted to human features because I am half human.”


         “What does that mean?” Brittany asked.


         “It means that no matter the sanity of my mind, I may shift the way I look but I will always look fundamentally human.”


         “So only beings of more than one species can change to those forms without costing them energy?” Justin asked.


         George shook his head. “There are also beings called Form-Shifters.”


         “Let me guess.” Justin said. “They can change to any form they want, freely?”


         “Yes. That’s exactly what Heradi is.”


         “Who exactly is Heradi, that you take us to her?” Drew asked.


         “She was the advisor of the former Peace Queen. Although she is peaceful, she has a lot of knowledge in fighting and energy techniques. She'll improve upon what Counselor Serrings has already taught you so that you'll have a better  chance of fighting against Su'kon. In the meantime, the three of us can help you get stronger and teach you a couple tricks of our own.”


         Drew nodded. “I know I'll look forward to it.” He yawned suddenly. He turned to Justin. “What time is it on our part of the Earth, Justin?”


         “It’s only about eight PM, Drew. But it has been a long day. This is a very large ship; I take it there are bedrooms aboard.”


         Derrick nodded. “We’re pretty tired ourselves. I’ll set the ship on autopilot and we can all get some rest. Then we can show you around the ship.”


         Drew nodded. “Sounds good to me.”


         “I'll take you all to some empty bedrooms.” Amber told them. The three earthlings fell behind her as she heading toward the back of the ship and Drew began to follow, when George stepped in front of him, glaring down at him.


         Drew glared right back at him. “You got a problem with me?”


         “I'm still trying to get over the fact that you are the one who is supposed to help us against Zalmon.” George began. “Maybe you hold something in you that Counselor Serrings saw, but I have yet to see any proof that you will be anything but a burden in this war. Regardless of whether you prove yourself to be the prince of Honu or not, if you ever threaten Amber like that again, I will only see you as my enemy.”


         Drew walked around him. “You just stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours.” He told George as he left the room.








5





         26 Earth days later. Traveling through Barnard Dwarf Galaxy.





         Drew, who had excepted his birth-name, Zalgo, walked into the cafeteria and found Julie sitting by herself. “Do you mind if I sit down?” He asked her.


         Julie took notice of him. “Oh, sure. I was just about to leave, anyway.” She said as she started to stand up.


         “Actually,” Zalgo began. “I was hoping I could talk to you for a moment.”


         Julie looked reluctant but nodded. “What can I help you with, Drew? I'm sorry – Zalgo.”


         “Julie, it seems that you've been avoiding me lately and even when we're in the same room, you seem distant to me. Can you tell me what's wrong? Have I done something that's made you pull away?”


         “No!” Julie replied. “It's not you, Zalgo; I love you as much as I ever have. But I'm scared that my love for you might be a problem.”


         Zalgo looked confused. “I'm not following what you're saying, Julie.” He confessed.


         Julie looked away from him and sighed. “Do you remember when we first found out that I had the choice of effecting people emotions.”


         “Oh.” Zalgo realized.


         Julie nodded. “Zalgo, I fell in love with you when I first saw you at school, but now I can't help but wonder if I made you fall in love with me.” She admitted.


         Zalgo took hold of her hand and looked at her straight in the eye. “No, you didn't make me love you. Do you know why? Because love is more than an emotion – it's something that is learned. Infatuation and lust can be instantaneous, but true love takes time and there's nobody I love more than you. I believe I would do just about anything for you – even if we have to start this relationship over at the beginning just to prove that.”


         Julie shook her head. “No, you're right. Even though things have changed recently, we've faced so much these past couple of years to prove our love for each other. I love you more than I ever have and I look forward to our life together.”


         “I love you so much and I hope I can always prove that to you.” Zalgo told her. Keeping hold of her hand, he slowly leaned forward and tenderly kissed her cheek. “You can always come to me, my wife.”








6





         Amber was walking to the ship’s cafeteria when screams of children filled her mind.


         ‘Somethings wrong.’ She told the rest of them. Tears were all ready in here eyes. ‘Meet me on the bridge.’ She turned around and headed there herself. When she had arrived, everyone else except Zalgo and Julie were already there,  the couple walking in a few seconds after her. In the corner of the front window she caught sight of a planet. “There.” She pointed out to them.


         Zalgo went to the ship’s IM to find out information on the planet. A minute later the IM printed out the requested information. “It’s Planet Hewazar.”


         “Planet Hewazar has always been a peaceful planet.” Derrick said.


         George bared his teeth and growled. “Zalmon.”


         “Do we check it out?” Zalgo asked Amber.


         Amber nodded, her face soaked by her tears. “Several children are experiencing vast amounts of pain down there. There is so much pain, confusion anger...”


         “Zalmon would stoop so low as to torture children?” Zalgo asked, his jaw clenched so tight it hurt.


         “Zalmon loves to twist things and cause them to go against their nature. It's one of the reasons why he is considered worse than Galgor in a lot of ways.” Derrick told him. “That's why he chose this planet and these children; their parents wanted these children to grow up in love and peace, never letting them know war and hatred, but Zalmon is probably trying to warp these children into ruthless, heartless beings instead.”


         Derrick took the controls to the ship and guided it through the planet’s atmosphere, and then landed in a clearing. The seven aboard stepped out of the ship and looked around. They could that what had been a once beautiful planet was a now a mess.


         “I look forward to bringing Zalmon to justice.” Brittany commented.


         “I agree.” Zalgo said. He transformed, the other six transforming as well.


         “Is that a castle up ahead?” George asked. The system’s star was blinding his vision. He realized that something was out of place. He was certain that the star was in the opposite side of the sky. The star he was looking at was also getting closer!


         “Duck!” Zalgo warned unnecessarily.


         The team dropped to the ground as the miniature star flew toward them. Zalgo stepped in front of it and let it hit him. The star disappeared, a crater now replaced most of the field. The small circumference around the ship and the group were the only things for miles that were not vaporized.


         “What happened?” Julie asked. She was astonished at the damage around them.


         “Someone knows we’re here.” Derrick stated, even though the answer was obvious.


         “I think it would be a good idea to get out of the open.” Brittany suggested.


         “There’s a child in extreme pain nearby.” Amber said, her face was soaked with tears. “She seems worse than the others; we need to get to her now.”


         Zalgo glanced at Amber. “Can you tell where they are?”


         “She’s in a house near the palace entrance.” Amber told them.


         “Then we need to help her.” Julie said.


         “If it’s okay with you, George and I’d like to start an ambush on the castle.” Derrick said.


         “Let’s split into two groups.” Zalgo suggested. “I’ll go rescue the girl. Anyone who wants to go with me, can. The rest of you can start assault on the castle. The other group will join later.”


         Julie nodded. “Sounds good. I’ll go with Zalgo.”


         “I will too.” Amber said.


         “Then Justin and I will help on the attack the castle.” Brittany said.


         Zalgo nodded. “We’ll meet you when we can.” He ran off with Julie and Amber behind him.


         “Amber?” Zalgo asked.


         “Yes, lord?” Amber responded.


         “This girl is not the only one we need to help, is it?”


         “No.” Amber admitted. “Several children here are in need of our help. However, This girl is in extreme suffering. I think she needs medical attention. We should be able to help the rest of them after we capture Zalmon.”


         Zalgo was running so fast, he almost passed the house when she told him it with MindTalk. He stopped running then glanced at a house made of petrified mud, one-story and highly decorated on the outside. He lipped his question to Amber and she nodded, confirming that this was the right house.


         Zalgo nodded back, then unsheathed his sword and ran around the corner of the house, where a door was. He shoulder-checked the door, breaking it pieces that fell onto the house floor.


         A butch woman with short red hair jumped up from the table where she had been eating dinner. “Who are you?” She demanded. She pulled out a dagger. “What are you doing here?”


         Zalgo was about to point his blade at the woman, when Julie rushed forward and kicked the dagger into the air, out of the woman’s hand. She caught it then grabbed the woman by the throat, holding the dagger’s point against her neck.


         “Where is she, monster?” Julie asked.


         “I-I...” The woman stammered.


         Zalgo turned back to Amber. “Amber, where is she?”


         Amber gave the woman a glare. “Right in the next room.” She told him.


         Zalgo sheathed his sword and ran into the nearest room and looked around the room. He saw a bed, a desk of alien design, armor that hung on a far wall, a part of the room that was closed off by a curtain, and a rug in the middle of the floor. He didn’t see the child. He was about to start looking under the bed, when his ears were assaulted by a low, painful moan.


         Zalgo looked to the curtain in the room and walked over to it. He slowly slid it open. What he saw made his skin go ice cold while his blood boiled in his veins - a small blond girl laid in this small non-cushioned space, severe bruises all over her body, blood soaking clothes that were shredded, exposing more bruised skin.


         The girl, despite her condition, jumped up at the sight of him and backed away, further into her hole. Zalgo swallowed hard as his throat went sore, tears threatening to fall from his eyes.


         The girl’s eyes suddenly rolled back into her head and she started to fall forward. Zalgo caught her before she hit her head and hauled her out as gently as possible, holding her tiny form in his arms and checking her breathing and pulse. He looked at her for a second. She reminded him so much of Sally.


“Shhhh...,” He said softly. “Don’t worry, little girl, I’m here to help you. We came to save you.” He didn’t know if she could hear him, but he felt like he had to say it in case she did. “I’m here for you.”


         He took his cape off his back, careful to keep her in at least one of his arms. He wrapped his cape around her body cautiously, not wanting to hurt her.


         He walked back into the main room with the girl bundled in his arms like a baby. “Amber,” He began, his voice restraining anger. “Take her and wait outside a second, please.”


         Amber held out her arms and Zalgo laid the girl in Amber’s arms. Amber looked at her and started to cry. “She’s worse than I thought.” She said out loud. She walked out the open doorway and around the corner.


         Zalgo whipped his head around, glaring at the butch redhead. “I swear, I feel like killing you.” He told her. “But I will never intentionally kill anyone if I don’t have to.”


         Julie finally released the woman’s throat, letting the woman fall to the floor.


         Zalgo called forth energy ropes like Derrick had taught him, while Julie confined the woman’s wrists together. Zalgo bent down and started tying the woman’s hands together, making sure they were securely bonded. When Zalgo was satisfied he stood up and Julie hauled the woman to her feet.


         “By will of the Superbeing council,” Zalgo stated. “We hereby place you under arrest, charged with various crimes against the Gizan Universe and also child abuse, endangerment and neglect. Until you are cleared of all these charges, you will be confined, awaiting for us to dispense punishment on you.”


         “Julie.” Zalgo said, gesturing for her to walk over with him. When she came over him, he began talking low and soft, almost whispering. “Would you and Amber to go back to the ship with this captive? Lock her up in the brig block. Amber will take the girl to medical. I will go ahead and meet the others. If you need any help, Amber will tell us. And put a gag in this woman’s mouth – I’m surprised she hasn’t already come to the idea of screaming.”


         Julie nodded. “We’ll meet you when we can.” She walked back over to their captive. She tore cloth that was on the wall and began wadding it up until she was done. Without warning she shoved the clump of cloth into the woman’s mouth before placing a small energy shield in front of it.


         Julie took one last look at Zalgo before she started shoving the struggling captive out of the doorway. Zalgo just watched her and Amber disappear. A flickering of light in the castle caught his eye, however, and he ran toward the castle.








7





George managed to sneak up behind the two guards at the castle gate and smashed their heads together, making them both collapse to the ground. Derrick and Brittany moved fast, restraining and gagging them.


         “Okay.” Justin whispered to the other three. “Now we need a plan on how we’re going to get to the Supreme General without little or no casualties and no detection if we can help it.” He pulled out his HHIM and started calculating variables. “Unfortunately, my scans don’t reveal a secret passage.”


         “What about air ducts or the like?” Brittany asked quietly.


         Justin shook his head. “No; Nothing big enough for us to use. Looks like we’ll have to sneak in through the front door without being caught.”


         “And if they do spot us?” Derrick inquired.


         “Run.” Justin answered. “Run and fight to our objective.” He typed a few more things into the IM. “If we do encounter any of Su’kon’s forces, we may have a fairly good chance. I’m not detecting any external energy in use, which means those soldier who would normally use energy shields aren’t using theirs. My guess is that they haven’t used them in a little under a month because they’ve had no need for them. Should they find us, it would take them by surprise and they might not even think to raise their shields in the confusion.”


         “We’ll deal with the situation if it arises.” George said. He glanced around the courtyard to see if anybody was around. He nodded when he saw it was clear. “Good. Let’s go now.” He insisted. He ran out into the courtyard, heading for the castle’s doors. The others hurried out behind him, quickly glancing around to see if they had been spotted.


         The four reached the closed doors without any sign of being spotted. Justin sighed in relief. He looked over to George and nodded, letting him know to go ahead and open their entrance into Zalmon’s castle.


         George opened the left door wide and shouted an alien curse before jumping out of the doorway. An instant later, several energy beams shot out of doorway where George had once stood.


         A scaled humanoid soldier was the first one to step into the doorway. George hit her and caused her to spin ninety degrees before he kicked her against the door, her back hitting the narrow side.


         Derrick tried to pull her out of the path of next energy rounds, but he failed and Brittany closed her eyes in time to miss the cauterized, swiss-cheesed body.


         “Put up your energy shields to this amount.” Justin shouted over the sizzle of battle, showing them the display on his HHIM and closing it before he erected a shield of 500 Verts. Brittany and the other two did the same. Justin charged through the open door way, the energy shots bouncing off his shield while he advanced on them.


         He kicked the closest one in the head, causing his energy shot to fly off- course. Brittany came up behind Justin before branching off to his right and head-butting the soldier in front of her. That cleared the hallway...for now.


         Justin turned around as Derrick and George reached Brittany and himself. “What do you think we should do from here?” He asked.


         Derrick had a look of seriousness and anger. “I say we continue on. I want this tyrant dead for all the crimes he has done.”


         Brittany stared at her friend in honest surprise. “I’ve never seen you like this, Derrick. I thought you were always calm and peaceful.”


         “Yes.” Justin agreed. “I’m taken aback myself at your behavior.”


         “It’s a long story.” Derrick told. He growled when an unwelcome voice entered the hall.


         “A Grokvosian’s left alive?” Came a young man’s voice. “How wonderful!” His tone not sarcastic as he spoke in happiness.


         “So you’re the genocidal moron who exterminated both Grokvos and the Superbeing council, huh?” Derrick said, his very words conceived in hate.


         Zalmon nodded. “Yes. I take that you are the remnants of the council?” He asked. Then he took note of their number. “Yet I see you are four; there were seven of you earlier when you came off your ship. Where did you get these reinforcements? Tell me.”


         “Go blast your face off, you false emperor.” George responded.


         The comment caused Zalmon to snarl in anger and he threw a hand-size star at the four of them. The miniature star flew through the hallway, melting any structure it passed.


         George threw his ‘Atlantis Flood’ at the star but the water evaporated far before it reached the star. Suddenly the star stopped in its advance, causing the walls, ceiling and floor around it to vaporize.


         Zalgo walked into the room and passed his friends, standing between them and the star. The four of them wiped their equivalents to sweat away. Zalgo glanced at the stationary fireball. “Impressive attack.” He admitted to Zalmon, though with little enthusiasm. “What do you call it?”


         “It’s my Solar Star attack.” Zalmon told him.


         Zalgo nodded. “It seems that you can control how far each star radiates.”


         “Of course, I can.” Zalmon yelled impatiently. “Who are you?”


         He took off his mask, letting Zalmon see a face nearly identical to his own and took the Honuan Blade from its sheath. “I am Zalgo Melzu, heir to the Honuan throne, cousin.” With that said, he put his mask back on and absorbed the small sun.


         Zalmon gasped as he looked at Zalgo and the sword. “So you are the exiled cousin I was told about. And you've somehow managed to get my sword that was stolen.”  He took a step forward, looking like he was going to attack but then he remembered that he was outnumbered, with no advantage. “I will retreat for now but I will return and you and your team will die.” With that, Zalmon grabbed hold a clear crystal before disappearing in a portal.


         George uttered the same curse he had Earlier and punched the stone wall of the hall.








8





         Zalmon Melzu materialized into the heart of the Su’kon Universe with a frown.


         “Why are you back?” A dark bodiless, yet booming voice asked. “Do you have the orb?”


         “No, Su’kon.” Zalmon said, holding back any sign of insubordination. “An unexpected event has occurred. Where is my father and Magmia?"


         Just then, Galgor appeared. “What is it, Zalmon?”


         “Zalgo Melzu’s powers have been awakened. I was just confronted by him along with six others, three young Superbeing Counselors from the Honuan system among them. All of them have gained quite a lot of power in the last two months.”


         Galgor nodded. “I see; That does present a problem.” Galgor then looked as if he were in deep thought. “Unless...” He began.


         “Unless, what?” Zalmon asked.


         “He means that if Zalgo and/or his friends were to join us, we could capture Gizan and the orb that much faster.” Magmia said.


         “Do you think that enticement would work?” Zalmon asked.


         Magmia shrugged. “We can only try it. If that doesn’t work we will expend what we have in order to get rid of him. Do you agree Master Su’kon?”


         “Indeed.” The voice agreed. “Find Zalgo and offer him what you must to get him on our side, Zalmon. Now return.”


         “I can’t.” Zalmon replied.


         “What!” Su’kon shouted, enraged.


         “He neutralizes my heat energy by absorbing it.” Zalmon explained. “Not only will he get stronger, but his friends will have enough power to kill me and they wouldn’t have any reason to fear my heat when Zalgo protects them. They might have enough combined power to destroy you, father.” He told Galgor. “He even possesses the Honuan Royal Blade. If they were to refuse they would kill me.”


         “What do you suggest?” Su’kon asked, impatience showing in his voice.


         “There may be a mutant Honuan that lives on a planet in the Ersou Universe.” Zalmon explained. “This being must have survived by embracing the coldness of the planet by mutating. Honuan history shows that the brother of Ry'tok and his army was banished from Honu. It could be Ry'tok's brother, Serino, ended up on that planet in Ersou. Regardless of who the Honuan is, he must have possession of a powerful sword I detected on the planet. It could hold the power of Ice Fire.”


         There was silence in the universe’s heart for a moment, but then Su’kon spoke. “Continue.” He ordered.


         “I would like to capture that blade and train, using it against Zalgo if needed. Only it would probably take time and your help in able for me to wield it.”


         Silence followed once again. “Galgor?”


         “Yes, Su’kon?” Galgor asked.


         “As you know, we are low on Chrononium. Take some and travel to Ersou in search of this blade. Secure it by any means necessary.”


         “Yes.” Galgor submitted with a bow.


         “Magmia?”


         “Yes, Master?” Magmia answered.


         “You take more and travel to Gizan with Zalmon. Zalmon will continue to work on capturing Gizan while you keep track of Zalgo and his team; Don’t engage them in battle even when you feel you have an opportunity to kill them, understand?”


         “I do.” Magmia responded.


         “Good. Report any facts about this group to both Zalmon and myself. Now go!”








9





         Zalgo sighed as he returned to his room aboard the ship and collapsed onto the bed. It had taken lot out of them all, but Su’kon’s army were now all in brig block. Twenty-three children were returned to their parents, who had imprisoned in the castle. Five children, including the first girl, were now orphans. They were taken to the Heriteace for treatment.


         ‘That little girl.’ He remembered. He had wanted to see how she was doing. He stood up easily, despite his fatigue and started walking toward the medical room until he met up with George in the hallway.


         “Hey,” George said to him. “Hey, thanks for getting to the castle in time.  If you hadn't come, we'd have been vaporized.”


         Zalgo was taken by surprise by George's attitude toward him. “Uh, you're welcome, no problem.”


         George sighed. “Look,I'm serious; you've done a great job today. You've also improved a lot over these past few weeks in your training sessions with us.


I'm sorry that we've gotten off on the wrong foot, but after today I know that you are an invaluable member and that we can't fight without you.”


         “Well, I suppose I didn't help matters in the beginning by threatening Amber's life.” Zalgo admitted. “We're both at fault in this case but I think we were both to stubborn to admit it for a while.” He held his hand out. “I promise to do better if we can forget and move on.”


         “What are you doing?” George asked, focusing on Zalgo's outstretched hand.


         “Nothing.” Zalgo replied quickly,withdrawing his hand. “Do you think we can work together?”


         George nodded. “Yes, I think we will work well together. Especially as we continue to learn about each other and improve in our fighting techniques.”


         Zalgo agreed. “Yes, I look forward to continuing to fight by your side. If you would please excuse me, I'll talk to you later.”


         “Later.” George repeated before continuing down the hall.


         Zalgo continued on as well and walked to the medical room, where the little girl and Amber had been ever since.


         He could see Amber and she looked no less tired than the others or himself. She had been caring for the children in the room. She walked in front of him, giving a bruised girl a sandwich.


         “You should get some rest soon.” Zalgo told her from behind.


         “What about you, Zalgo?” She asked, not bothering to turn around.


         “I’m fine.” He said. “I came to see how our first patient was doing.”


         “She still hasn’t woken up. While the other kids have only been here for forty minutes or less, she's still undergoing treatment.”


         “She almost died.” Zalgo observed.


         Amber nodded. “Yes. If we had gotten back here ten minutes later, it probably would’ve been too late.”


         “Do you need any help?” Zalgo asked.


         Amber shook her head. “I said that these kids were nearly ready to leave. She’s probably about to wake up.”


         “In that case, go get some rest, Amber. I’ll take care of whatever else they’ll need.”


         “Are you sure?” Amber asked him seriously.


         He nodded. “Sure.”


         Amber looked out to the room of children and after a moment she cleared her throat. “Children, if any of you feel that you are ready to leave, I’ll take you all to an available bedroom.”


         The children climbed out of the medical beds and walked to Amber. Amber turned back to Zalgo and gave him a respectful kiss on the cheek. “Thank you, Prince. I will return if you need me.”


         “Rest well, Amber.” He said.


         She nodded, before heading out with the four children.


         He walked over to unconscious girl and looked at her. Slowly, he lifted his right hand and softly pushed her blond bangs from her face. She did somewhat resemble Sally.


         The girl stirred, waking up. “Daddy?” She asked softly, her eyes still closed. She opened them and looked at Zalgo. “You remind me of Daddy.” She said sadly.


         Zalgo swallowed, his throat now sore. “Do you know where your parents are?”


         “They’re dead,” She knew. “Like nearly everyone else on Hewazar.”


         “I know what it’s like to lose your family.” Zalgo told her. “Can I ask what your name is?”


         “Thea,” She told him.


         “Well Thea, my name is Zalgo Melzu. Me and my friends came here to help you and the other people of Hewezar.”


         Thea didn’t say anything.


         “You remind me of someone I’ve lost, too.” Zalgo said.


         Thea glanced at Zalgo curiously. “Who is that?” She asked.


         “My little sister, Sally.” He told her. “I lost her a couple of months ago.”


         “I’m sorry.” She said.


         “Thank you.” Zalgo said. “I appreciate it. How are you doing? I still see a few bruises on you.”


         “Those are all that are left to heal. I’m still a little sore but other than that, I think I’m fine.”


         “I’m glad to hear that.”


         “I’m ready to leave.” Thea told him. “Can I?”


         Zalgo nodded. “Can I get you anything, Thea?” He asked her.


         “I’m kind of hungry.” Thea admitted.


         “All right.” Zalgo said. “I’ll get you something from the cafeteria and you can look for a room.” He started to stand up and stopped when Thea grabbed his hand. He looked at her questionably.


         “Please stay with me.” She pleaded. “Take me with you.”


         Zalgo looked around the room, searching for some clothes she could change to or at least cover up with. He caught sight of a white cotton robe hanging on the furthest wall. He walked over and grabbed the robe of the hook and handed it to her when he returned.


         “Let’s cover up those ugly rags you’ve got on, okay? I’ll get you some better clothes later on.”


         Thea got out of the bed and slipped the robe on, closing and tying it around her waist. “Would...?” She started to ask, then hesitated.


         “You can ask me anything.” Zalgo told her. “I won’t get angry with you.”


         “Would you carry me?” She finally asked.


         Zalgo smiled at her warmly. “Yes, I’ll carry you if you really want me to.”


         “Really? I’m not too big or heavy?” She asked.


         He picked her up and held her in his arms. “Really.” He opened the door and started to step out when he saw a Grokvosian in front of them, nearly the same height as Zalgo.


         “Is she all right?” He asked Zalgo. Despite his relative height to Zalgo, his voice was that of a child. Zalgo’s eyes widened at the vast difference.


         “Genzu!” Thea exclaimed happily.


         “She doing much better.” Zalgo finally answered. “We were just about to have lunch, in fact. Would you like to join us?”


         The boy nodded. “Please.” He asked.


         “Sure.” Zalgo told him.








10





         Zalgo, Thea and Genzu had finished eating and stopped by the Bridge, where Justin and Derrick were on duty. “Guys, I want you to meet Thea and Genzu.”


         Derrick didn't even bother to look up from the radar. “Glad to meet you.”


         “How are you doing, kids?” Justin greeted.


         “Hello.” Thea said timidly in response.


         “So how long until we reach this Heradi?” Zalgo asked.


         “It should take us approximately six months from here.” Justin informed him.


         “That long?” Zalgo asked.


         “We’re doing good just to get there in that short of time, actually.” Justin told him. “It takes light one-hundred thousand years just to reach one side of the Milky Way from the other. The Planet we’re looking for to meet Heradi is near the center of the Andromeda Galaxy.”


         “This ship can go that fast?” Zalgo asked Derrick.


         Derrick nodded. “Several times the speed of light.” He glanced at Genzu. “You are Grokvosian.”


         “Yes?” Genzu said, confused.


         “Has your family always lived on Hewazar?” Derrick asked.


         “No. They moved there just before I was born.”


         “Then you might not know?” Derrick thought out loud.


         “Know what, sir?” Genzu pushed.


         “Grokvos was destroyed by Su’kon’s military.” Derrick told him. “We may be the only Grokvosians left.”


         Genzu’s eyes widened in horror. “This is a cruel joke!”


         “No, it’s true.” Derrick told him. “I saw the asteroids that had once been Grokvos.”


         “Genzu.” Thea said, reaching forward from Zalgo’s arm to hug him comfortingly. “I’m so sorry.”


         “I never knew.” Zalgo told Derrick apologetically.


         “I know you didn’t, Prince Zalgo.” Derrick told him.


         “Is that why you hate Su’kon so much?” Zalgo asked.


         “Yes. I will fight until one side has won this war.” Derrick swore.


         “Then we shall all fight to the end.” Zalgo told him. “I promise that Su’kon will not have Gizan while we live.”


         “Then I want to join you.” Genzu told Derrick and Zalgo. “Take me under your wings and train me, please. I wish to help abolish this threat.”


         “Are you sure?” Derrick asked Genzu. “It is against the Grokvosian code.”


         “I know. But if we don’t stop these trespassers, several other worlds will die.”


         “You’re right.” Zalgo nodded. “If you are willing to train and fight with us, you will help us.”


         “Can I fight too?” Thea asked.


         Zalgo looked at her nervously. “We’ll see. Focus on healing right now, okay?”


         “Okay.” Thea agreed.


         “Well, then let’s find you a room. See you guys, later. Are you coming with us, Genzu?”


         Genzu shook his head. “If it’s all right with...” He trailed off looking back to his fellow Grokvosian.


         “Derrick.” Derrick told him.


         "...Derrick, I’d like to find out some more.” Genzu finished.


         “We’ll see you later, then.” Zalgo said.


         “Bye, Genzu.” Thea called as they went out off the Bridge.


         Zalgo walked up to the nearest IM and spoke to it. “Give me a list of available bedrooms.” He ordered. A blueprint of the ship came up with occupied bedrooms shown in blue, while the unoccupied ones were dark gray.


         “What about this one?” Zalgo asked Thea, pointing to one. “It near Genzu’s room and is between my room and Julie’s in case you need help.”


         “Who’s Julie?” Thea asked.


         “My fiancĂ©e. I think you’ll like her.”


         “When can I met her?” She asked him.


         “She’s sleeping right now, so maybe in a few hours.”


         “Register 185 to Thea.” Zalgo spoke to the IM.


         “Registered.” The IM responded in a neutral, digitized voice.


         “So,” Zalgo started as they headed for her new room. “How long have you and Genzu known each other?” He asked her.


         “Since we were born.” Thea told him.


         “You two good friends?” Zalgo continued.


         “Yes.”


         “I’m glad to hear that.” He told her.


         “Where are you from?” Thea asked.


         “Well, it’s difficult to say.” He said. “I was born an Honuan but grew up on a planet called Earth.”


         “What was it like growing up on Earth?” She asked.


         “It was nice. I grew up in a family who adopted me and I lived a wonderful life.”


         “Really? Then why are you here?” She asked curiously.


         “My adopted family was killed by a mutant human. My friends and I then decided to give up our lives to help others.”


         “Do you miss Earth?”


         “All the time.” He stopped walking and turned right. “Here we go. Configure your room however you want it. Let me know if you need anything.” He set her down.


         “I will.” She told him. “Thanks.”


         Zalgo waved at her. “Bye, little one.”





         


11





         Zalgo Melzu was in a bubble looking at the face of a masked, male figure. He was wearing Zalgo’s armor.


         “Who are you?” Zalgo asked.


         “I am Zalgo.” The figure responded. “I am a part of you. I was created by your mind to share this body and to help you.”


         “How can you help me?”


         “Because I am a part of you I have power equal to your own, plus I share your desire to help people. My purpose is to share this burden of yours. Help me into the mind bubble and you shall see.” The clone said simply.


         Zalgo reluctantly helped his double into the bubble. When he did he felt his powers increase.


         “Do you see now?”


12





         Zalgo found himself shook awake by Julie.


         “Drew!” She yelled, calling him by his Earth name again. She sounded concerned.


         “What is it, Julie?” He asked, still drowsy.


         “I came in here to talk to you when I saw you transform into your hero form in your sleep. But then you reverted back to normal.”


         “I’m fine, Julie.” He assured her, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.


         “Okay. I was just surprised, I guess.”


         “What’d you come to talk about?” He asked her.


         “I don’t know.” Julie admitted. “I guess I just have some regrets. We should have never came aboard of this ship.”


         “We didn’t have a choice.” He reminded her. “We would have had to face Zalmon and Su’kon’s forces sooner or later.”


         Julie nodded. “I realize that, but I don’t think either of us are prepared to fulfill our roles.”


         “We’ll do the best we can.” Zalgo said. “That’s really all we can do. Besides, that’s why we’re going to see Heradi: to prepare us.”


         Julie sighed. “I’m just nervous.”


         “That’s to be expected, because I am too. But don’t let your fear stop you from doing your best.” Zalgo comforted. “Now, there’s something I would like to talk to you about.”


         “And that is?” Julie chided.


         “What do you think about having kids?” He asked her.


         Julie’s expressions went from surprise to serious anger. “I think we’re a little young to be going that far in the relationship, especially without marriage.”


         Zalgo looked confused before he laughed. “Sorry.” He apologized. “What I meant was adopting one or two.”


         “Oh.” Julie said as she understood. “I don’t know. We’re still too young to think of that, too. Why?”


         “I think I’ve fallen in love with that little girl.” Zalgo told her.


         “You mean the first one we helped?” Julie asked, already knowing the answer. “But you know what danger our career is, Zalgo. Would you want her to be in this kind of situation; one that goes exactly against what she was taught? Besides, it's unfair to the other children.”


         “Thea’s different, though, Julie. Think; she was the only one of the children who was in such a severe condition she was in. I believe Zalmon or one his commanding officers sensed some kind of potential in her they were trying to exploit.”


         “It still goes against how she was raised!” Julie protested. “Violence corrupts everyone but what do you think it will do to her?”


         “She’s already corrupted, Julie.” Zalgo said firmly. “Even when I looked into her joyful eyes, I could see a hatred; One that, if left unchecked, could turn her into our enemy. We may be able to heal her heart; purge her hatred, if we do it right.”


         “Are you sure you want to do this, Zalgo?” Julie asked him, dead serious. “This will be a lot of work for us.”


         “Yes.” He told her, no doubt in either his mind or tone. “Give her a chance.” He pleaded.


         Julie nodded. “Okay.”


         Just then, there is a knock on the door.


         “Come in.” Zalgo said to whoever was on the other side.


         The door opened and Thea stepped inside with an ecstatic smile on her face. Her smile was replaced with a look of curiosity when she saw Julie. “Is this Julie?” She asked Zalgo.


         Zalgo smiled. “Why, yes it is. Julie, this is Thea.”


         Thea grabbed the ends of her robe and curtsied to Julie. “I’m glad to meet you, ma’am.”


         “A pleasure, Thea.” Julie told her.


         “Can I help you, Thea?” Zalgo asked her.


         “Would you come see my room design?” She asked them.


         “Sure, we’d love to.” Julie said. She followed Thea out of the room, before Zalgo did the same.


         They walked down the hall toward Thea’s room and stepped inside. Immediately, holographic images projected themselves across the room making it look unique from others, like a little girl’s room. The walls that had been cold, gray metal were now something close to drywall, pasted with pink wallpaper, accompanied by the designs of alien unicorns. The floor was now a soft white carpet. Off in the one corner of the room were various holographically displayed toys.


         Julie glanced around the room in awe of the sight. She sat down on the bed, which was now lavish with thick covers, stuffed animals, and pillows.


         “This is incredible, Thea.” Zalgo told her. “And it’s very lovely.”


         Thea smiled. “Thank you.”


         Zalgo turned serious and looked over to Julie. Julie returned his stare. Finally, however, Zalgo turned his attention back to Thea. “Thea...” He started. “Me and Julie have been talking and we’ve decided something. We'd like to get to know you better and while we all get to know each other, I'd like you to consider if you'd want us as your guardians. How do you feel about the idea?”


         Thea swallowed roughly and stayed silent while thinking over what Zalgo had said. Finally, she spoke. “I’d like that. As much as I want, Mommy and Daddy aren’t coming back. I want to stay with you two.”


         “You’re certain?” Zalgo asked in a serious but soft voice. “I think we should all spend more time together before you decide, okay?”


         Thea nodded. “Okay.”
© Copyright 2008 Douglas Davison (UN: swordforger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Douglas Davison has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/609814-Preview-Part-2