*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/628541-Passion
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#628541 added January 8, 2009 at 1:09pm
Restrictions: None
Passion
I wrote my philosophy of life, made it into a poster, and put it on my classroom wall.  It says:  WITHOUT PASSION THERE IS NO LIFE!  I never bring the subject of the poster up until some wiseguy thinks he'll be smart and comment on it in the only way his mind is capable of thinking.....sexually, of course.  Then, we discuss what my saying means.  I try to impart to them that if they have no interests in anything worthwhile, they have no life.  We discuss some stereotypes such as the kid who probably sleeps through some classes, the football team during the season and after the season.  We compare the student in 15 clubs to the student in 2 clubs and how this applies to them.  And, of course, there is no right or wrong answer.  I tell them I just want them to care about things.......and they can start with themselves.

I have done many things in my life and have had a great life.  Was it all roses and happy songs?  Absolutely not!  But, when I met a challenge, I didn't walk away.  If I wanted something......had a passion for it, I went after it with a vengeance.  I may not have accomplished every goal, but the ones I missed usually ended up going in another direction I hadn't planned on and turned out better than ever.

Most times in life we have choices in life and if we really care about life, we will ponder these choices and try to make the best ones.  Whatever you do or want that is good for you, be passionate about it and LIVE.

Two juniors came to my room Tuesday and said, "Mrs. E, we have decided we want to be you when we grow  up."  Do you think that turned up my passion for teaching to a new level?  You bet!  I hugged them and said thank you for the complement, but if they would just turn out to be all they can be, that's the jackpot!  Besides, I really haven't decided what I want to be yet.

Over the last seven years I have had to remake this poster many times, because some students will invariably
say, "I wish I had a poster like that."  I always remove it from the wall and give it to them.  Then, I have to make another.

© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/628541-Passion