*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673138
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · War · #1611543
A story based in the holocaust. The Jewish camps and such in WW2.
#673138 added October 24, 2009 at 4:33pm
Restrictions: None
Changes - Amelie
We all jumped in the car and set off with Dame and Sehr. It was a few hours away and we had breakfast just before we left. This was the first time Sehr had not worked. 
The city was busy and there was shouting everywhere. Us kids left Nikolas’ parents and went for a look of the street. We weren’t given any money. Just had a look around the township and paced the markets. There were a few red cross trucks that passed. I wanted to go to the artist stall.
I was looking at a canvas until the shopkeeper spoke.
‘Would you like that?’ He asked kindly.
‘I don’t have any money.’ I frowned.
‘You look like an artist to me. Show me and artwork and you can have it.’ He smiled. I took out my sketch book and showed him a picture. He handed me the reasonably large canvas.
‘Thank you so much!’ I glowed and shook his hand.

Further down the street, after we dropped my letter, we all stopped and had a seat. Then Nikolas took off again. We tried to keep up with him until he reached a huge house.  It was old and had broken windows.
‘This is the old Charmon place. It is haunted.’ He whispered
‘Do you want to go in?’ Rafael asked.
‘No way!’ Abigail complained.
‘Why not?’ I argued.
‘Because it is haunted.’ Pius noted.
‘So? There are worst things then ghosts. Come on. Let’s go in.’ I said.
‘Alright then.’ They finally agreed and we walked closer. When we reached the door, we opened it very slowly. Inside it was pitch black. There was no windows. There was an eerie feeling and a whisper would reach to an echo. We silently entered. We heard a loud noise. Turning around instantly. It was only the wind in through the door. Abigail and Pius ran away. I walked on and the boys followed me. The floorboards creaked and we walked to the middle mark of the room on edge. We stood still.
There was nothing but silence. I could not even hear their breathing. I was beginning to be scared. The fear was getting to me. I was gaining goose bumps on the back of my neck. I could feel vomit coming up my throat. I ran out side and vomited on the grass patch. Then there was an argument that we shouldn’t have gone there. Abigail was now sour and they were all annoyed with me for no reason.
What a crappy day. But at least I got to send the letter.

When I went down the stairs the next day to have breakfast, I saw the little Jewish girl couldn’t help but be happy she was there. Now my friends were annoyed with me. I smiled at her, but she didn’t. She just continued to work and not recognize that I was there. I knew why.
When all the others had gone, I didn’t want to go. I wanted to talk to the girl same as last time. Sat in the kitchen. I knew that the Guard wasn’t around. I just waited for Dame to leave and go to get the shopping from the small town nearby.
When she left, Maria was out the front doing the gardening. I went and sat with her. We were alone to talk again.
‘Hello again.’
‘Hello.’ She whimpered, although much more confident in her voice then yesterday.
‘Do you think the same as me?’ I broke out and finally said it. I was scared to, scared that I was wrong. But I desperately needed to know.
‘W-W-’
‘Do you think that it is so strange how we look so alike and we have the same birthday. And that there is only one possible explanation…’
‘Twins…’ She looked up. Glaring at me in the eyes. ‘You see it, too.’
‘Yes.’
‘Oh, my…’ She gasped.
‘What are you into?’ I asked inquisitively.
‘Drawing, mainly.’ She blinked. ‘You?’
‘I like drawing, too.’ I smiled and stood up. ‘I will be right back.’ I ran upstairs and grabbed the canvas and all my drawing things then ran back down. She was doing the garden work in the snow. I sat on a patch and cleared a patch.
‘What will you draw?’ She asked.
‘I don’t know yet. Maybe my twin.’ I glowed, for the first time recognizing her as my twin allowed.
‘May I?’ She asked and picked up a pencil. Then begun to draw a sketch of two heads. She begun brushing hair on one of then and making the other look bald. ‘Is that good?’
‘Its better then what I can do.’
‘Just don’t let the guard see.’
‘I won’t. It will stay far away.’
‘Can I tell you something…’ She spoke, after a moment of silence. Moving up to sit on her knees, with amazing force for her movement. Like she was excited. ‘Twins are treated so much better at the camp. They get to play and talk to others. It is wonderful for twins. Nothing like it is for me now.’ Then all I heard was a growl and I quickly turned to see the guard behind me. I gasped in fear. Not for myself, but for Maria. He stormed up with haste.
‘A Jew!’ He screeched. Grabbing her by the loose skin on her bald head. ‘What are you doing! Talking to Jew!’ He screamed at me. Then looked down at us in one glance. ‘You look…’ He had a shocked look of anger. He realized instantly when he looked at my canvas.
‘Listen, young lady. I do not know what you are doing. But I will not tell Herr Augustin. But you…’ He dragged her off and begun to bash her, right in front of my eyes. She was just taking it. I could hear her screaming, but not as loud as I would be. I ran inside, up to my room and cried. I could feel her pain. I could feel every boot in her rib, every slap. I could feel the pain she was. We were empathetic.
That night, I thought back on our two very small conversations. Then I thought about what she said. Twins are treated better. What if I went there? She said they are treated well. And I knew that she was having a horrible time. The way I looked at it, if I went there, I wouldn’t be treated bad. The main good thing about this thought, if I did, she would not be beaten or bashed and she would get away from where she was.


Please Read, Review and Rate!! 

CASSANDRA!!

And please also read my other stories too.
© Copyright 2009 Cassiandra (UN: cassiandra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cassiandra has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673138