*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673151
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · War · #1611543
A story based in the holocaust. The Jewish camps and such in WW2.
#673151 added October 24, 2009 at 4:46pm
Restrictions: None
The Other Life - Amelie
I hugged my parents.
‘I will see you soon.’ I whimpered.
‘I will miss you.’ My mother sobbed. ‘Have fun in Poland.’ She waved. I got in the train and put my hand on the window. They waved frantically and I set off to the little country home. I had to leave the city and head to the country of Poland. My parents were making me. Live with someone who has let me stay in their home, the day before my birthday. What a bleak concept, living with two other teenagers, like myself, who I don’t know.
I was being forced to go the day after Christmas and the day before my birthday because that is when all the others and their parents had agreed to go. I had catched the morning train, too. I was most likely to be early.
I was going the day after Christmas, because I wanted to spend that at home, just like the others. But it was very cold. The train was warm and then I thought about the fact that I was going to a place even colder then where I had come from.
I had already had a party because I was being separated from my family for months; I was not going to tell these people it is my birthday tomorrow. I figured they would feel obliged and I do not want to get off on the wrong foot.
When I reached the house, it was the biggest I had ever seen. My house was very small and my father was a maternity doctor. My mother was unemployed. Compared to this, we are the dirt under their boots.
I walked up the steps and took a deep breath. A woman stood in the room behind the door. When I got closer, I saw a man standing there. There was also a boy. I wondered if that was another guest like me. I walked in the narrow doorway and smiled widely.
‘Good morning. I am Amelie.’ I smiled and put my hand out to the man to shake his hand. ‘Nice to meet you. You must be Herr Augustin.’ He shook my hand.
‘Yes, welcome to our home.’ He said in a kind voice. I put my hand out to the woman.
‘Nice to meet you.’ I greeted.
‘Yes, you too.’ We let go. ‘And this is our son, Nikolas.’
‘Nice to meet you, too…’ I put out my hand and shook his lastly. He looked older then me, by about two years. A normal boy haircut with black hair and had piercing green eyes. Dressed in overalls with braces.
‘Nice to meet you.’ He smiled widely then released my hand.
‘Now, Amelie. Nikolas will show you the room you will be staying. None of the other children have arrived yet. You go along and unpacked your things.’ His mother ordered and I quickly picked up my bag.
‘I’ll take that.’ Nikolas intruded.
‘Why, thank you.’ He picked it up and escorted me to the top floor, in a long corridor with about four rooms leading off there was the room that we entered. There was two beds. Neatly made and very bear. The two beds reached off the wall, parallel and had light green blankets. The walls were white and there was only a study table on the left and a table in between the beds with a lamp on it. Above that was a window.
‘Do you like it?’ Nikolas asked. Dropping my travel bag.
‘Yes, it seems nice. Who is staying with me?’
‘Some girl. There are two girls and two boys staying.’
‘I thought that there was only three people coming.’
‘No. There are four, altogether. I’m actually happy about it. There is nothing to do here.’
‘Why is that? On the way here, I saw a few other homes.’
‘Amelie...We can’t talk about that…Or get into that for that matter.’ He glared at me, seriously.
‘But wha—’ I realized that it wasn’t a conversation starter just by his expression. I left the subject alone. ‘Where does your father work?’
‘My father is a soldier. We just moved here to get away from the bombing about four months ago. Also so father could live with us.’
‘Oh. What does your father do as a soldier?’
‘Takes care of vermin.’ He starred shallowly, with an evil look across his face.
‘As in…The people that are being taken?’
‘The animals. They aren’t people. Never refer to them as that.’ He said with such anger it scared me. I was shocked, offended even. I had knew people at school, people who were my friends, that got taken. I knew that there was something wrong with them. But I don’t understand what. The dictator said that they are a weak race, the question for me is…Why? They were just like us. They are still people just the same. I didn’t at all consider myself better, by the slightest.
‘Nikolas, Amelie.’ I heard a female voice call. Nikolas started to walk down the stairs and I followed. At the bottom were three people. They introduced themselves and Nikolas showed them their rooms, the girl, Abigail sat with me, introduced herself and we talked for a while. We continued to talk in our room. Then it got dark through the window. I was tired and was slowly dozing…


Please Read, Review and Rate!! 

CASSANDRA!!

And please also read my other stories too.
© Copyright 2009 Cassiandra (UN: cassiandra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cassiandra has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673151