*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/683910-A-Haitian-voice-Thoughts-about-my-trip
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#683910 added January 15, 2010 at 1:32pm
Restrictions: None
A Haitian voice. Thoughts about my trip.
*Note3* Other writers say...

Wilkine Brutus on being Haitian:



*Note3* Thou:

I'm finally reading a tad more! For some reason 'on vacation' I read less.

richardd has a good entry with "Invalid Entry

*Note3* Me and Mine:

Some thoughts on the upside of my trip:

At my sisters: the dogs, playing scrabble with Cynthia the neighbor, getting to Pike's Place, seeing Gavin (now 1) and visiting extended family, Greek coffee, visiting U.W, Dan's generosity, the mild weather, the bed I slept on!

At Anabel's: Richard making sushi, the wonderful dinner at his family, Miss Pish the cat, Old Town, the earthquake (*Shock* since no one got killed), seeing and speaking with a WdC friend and understanding her reality, the mild weather and the fragrance of jasmine in bloom by the front gate, sitting on the dock of the bay.

At my cousins: giving her a gift that lit up her eyes, Terry's humor, being able to pick on Judy, the short stroll along ocean and Golden Gate Park.

On the bus: Various and unique people, each one with a story, the concern of the bus drivers that we-all make our connections, the uncrowded buses and being able to get my own two-seats or one with enough legroom, being able to snooze a bit and not arrive totally exhausted.

Wimping out:

I didn't get to SoCal or Nevada. After two weeks all I wanted to do was crawl into my own bed (and be beamed there by transporter).

I've even thought about the South East, like SC, NC or Florida. Can anyone say: "That's three days away! Are you crazy?"

In general:

One of the joys or difficulties of visiting is the dilemma of "what to do". Sometimes doing nothing is great! (for a couple days) I'm not a big fan of television and some people aren't big fans of conversation. I really miss the days-long-past of coffee, tea and rummy.

Then there is transportation. Some folks don't have any. And some people live in areas that are isolated; without access to a car they are really isolated; I'm not always fond of isolation unless self-imposed.

So now I'm home = I know what to do. I went for Swedish pancakes Thursday evening at the Senior Center ($5 all you can eat) and sat with Dalton, Bill and Myrt. I went to my writing group and listened to Hobie, Mary, Franses, Parris, Kate and Nona read (I had nothing ready to share).

There is cabaret Friday or Saturday; Carmen, the opera, on Saturday or Sunday. There is always the crowd of artists, writers (and a few students) at the coffee shops, even in winter. It's Dullsville in January, but I know how to work it.

I don't know how to work it in a strange town. I don't know what folks do nor when nor where. Shopping doesn't count.

I'll just have to make my interests better known and do more research on-line. Since poetry nights and readings are not in vogue yet this century, this may not be easy to do. So few options.

So... anyone know of any writing conferences coming up this winter or spring? My bus pass is good to February 24th and I would rather say no to an event I know about than arrive one day late without knowing...

I'll be back on the bus in a week or two to visit Kansas and Iowa. *Rolleyes*

Shoot me now...

*Note3* Missoula: a weak-sunny 28º at 10 a.m. Montana Standard Time.
58,451

© Copyright 2010 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/683910-A-Haitian-voice-Thoughts-about-my-trip