*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693784-Flossies-196th-Lesson
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #973799
My lessons with Flossie, a roan Standardbred mare
#693784 added April 20, 2010 at 7:13pm
Restrictions: None
Flossie's 196th Lesson
FLOSSIE'S 196th LESSON

As soon as I arrived at Des’ I could see why no one was working their horses. Usually between 7:30 and 8:00 o’clock either Billy is just finishing up or Gary is just starting, but because of the condition of the track, Des told them it was best if they went somewhere else to work their horses this morning. Pat was already getting ready to leave, loading his horse in his trailer as I got out of the car.

I spoke with Des before I tacked Flossie up, but he didn’t seem too concerned about my riding. I told him I’d avoid the mud, so, that’s how I started out. I mounted and walked Flossie one lap around the track, trudging slowly through the mud in both spots, by the road and in the bend by the rail road track, where it’s always muddy, then I picked up a trot, and, later, a canter, allowing her to run only where it was dry.

After about ten minutes of this, I turned her around and just as I was about to start working her to the left, lo and behold, who should come trotting up the track with his horse and gig? Pat! I watched his horse trot through the mud like it was nothing, so I decided to work Flossie through it at a trot and canter, myself, just as I did on Friday last week. Flossie was very happy to utilise the entire track, for she had been getting annoyed by having to come down off a nice working gait just to a walk each time we got to the mud.

I also worked Flossie in the corner, circling at a trot and then at a canter. We started to the right and she went nice and slow at the canter for the first few laps around and then she started to get bronky. Too much fun, I guess, and still full of energy.

I worked her to the left and got another nice canter out her, then brought her down to a slower gait and practiced tugging on the inside rein and using my inside leg on her at the same time to keep her on the rail.

I made the tug brief and used my leg simultaneously, releasing the pressure on the rein and with my leg at the same time, so instead of gripping with my leg and then gripping even harder, I applied pressure for only a moment, let go, then applied it again as necessary. It was good practice for me since I tend to overdo the use of my leg in that direction. I got a nice response after a while so I ended the lesson then and there.

Later, I asked Des about Pat coming back to use his track and he said the track at the other place up the road was just as bad, so he figured he may as well turn around and come back. Gary came down later, too, and worked his horses on the jogger.

It was nice to see sunshine after all the cloudy weather we’ve had lately. It’s supposed to remain this way until Thursday. Because of the winter cold, I keep imagining Christmas wreaths and I keep wanting to see decorated trees through our neighbor’s windows, and red and green lights glowing on their porches at night. Cold weather will probably always mean Christmas to me no matter where I live.

It was just under 50 degrees while I was riding. I had a T-shirt on with a long-sleeve shirt on over that and a winter coat on over that while I was in the saddle. Usually it gets too warm for the coat and I end up peeling it off, but not today! When I got home, it was just under 70 degrees and the neighbors behind us were in their swimming pool and I was outside hanging up the wash in my shorts.

I’m not kidding.

I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to leave you here. I could talk about Flossie all day long.




© Copyright 2010 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693784-Flossies-196th-Lesson