*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699464-The-Spirit
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#699464 added June 17, 2010 at 7:36am
Restrictions: None
The Spirit
What has gotten our civilization to where it is today is our science. Spiritual progress has not made very much headway in the past couple thousand years. Science with it’s disciplined way of thinking is what has opened the door to our understanding of virtually everything. It’s a systematic way of thinking that was discovered by the Greeks and it offered an alternative to the dogma of religious zealots who often ruled behind the scenes with the threat of powers which were unseen and omnipotent. They said if you didn’t play ball, they were going to get God to hurt you. The Greeks said the only things that can hurt you are things you can seen, touched or measured. The notion “Sticks and stone can break your bones but words can never hurt you,” is an idea the Greeks would have applauded.
The Greeks were very spiritual but did not trust the power of their souls to a middleman; Priests were not intermediaries between them and God. They had priests but they kept the temples swept and did prophesying on the side. They did not yield the same terrible and absolute power as in Egypt or Israel.

I believe there is something out there that is bigger than Science. My pea brain is just to small to embrace it. I believe a writer has an external muse that connects us to something bigger than ourselves but I don’t think I’ll get any closer to discovering what it is by talking with a Rabbi, Priest, Minister or Mullah. They’re as clueless as the rest of us. Granted they might have some ideas on finding it, but we each have to find it for through yourselves…note the word “Through” rather that the word “In”

The church advocates that there are things out there that you can’t see measure or touch and those things can hurt you. They threaten you with an eternity of pain if you don’t pay attention and “Believe” what they’re telling you. This brings us full cycle to the fact that if you believe something hard enough your brain can’t always differentiate it from the truth. Do we essentially create God by believing real hard that he/she is out there? What is truth? asked the great philosophers, Is it something you can measure or something you feel deep inside with a strong and intuitive sense of certainty.

Native Americans feel connected with a spiritual presence through Nature. Sometimes I think they are closer than anyone to the truth…I see it in their writing, poetry and blogs. They definitely see things differently if you pause and listen to what they are saying. It’s worth taking the time. Maybe I need to talk to a Medicine Man.






© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/699464-The-Spirit