*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701940-July-20Reads298-wc
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#701940 added July 20, 2010 at 9:40am
Restrictions: None
July 20_Reads_298 wc
On this date:


1969-first human walk on the Moon


Carlos Santana born


July 19:


Lizzie Borden born


Edgar Degas born





Over the weekend I read Precipice by Tom Savage, a page-turning suspenseful “domestic” thriller set in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, by an author who himself is a native. I must admit the surprises kept coming and kept me on the edge of my seat right through to the very final page.





Sunday and Monday I read a Christian mystery, The Dandelion Killer by Wanda Luttrell, also a page-turner. Then Monday evening I stayed up late to read in its entirety Dean Koontz's 2004 novel The Taking. Since I had finished all my current stack of library books on Saturday and won't get more until the out-of-town delivery of my reserve books to the Library this week (not yesterday, so will be today, tomorrow, or Thursday-our small town library closes on Friday-Sunday as do the City Offices)-I went searching through my stacks and boxes of books for reads, and pulled out both The Taking and Marilyn Harris' Portent, both of which of course I had read much earlier. I find that I read SO much that books I read even a couple years ago can profitably be reread and enjoyed “as new.”





         I chose both of these because they struck me as “environmental apocalypse” novels, or “The Earth fights back.” Well, on the first count, I was right about The Taking, not on the second, but let me tell you: I did not go to sleep until I had closed that book after the final page. My hair stood on end, my eyes bugged out, my jaw dropped, and I turned pages at nearly the speed of light.





Reader, find this book and read it!!



© Copyright 2010 Cobwebs-In-Space Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebs-In-Space Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701940-July-20Reads298-wc