*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/702573-Do-it-Yourself
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#702573 added July 29, 2010 at 7:39am
Restrictions: None
Do it Yourself
Do it Yourself

Yesterday my wife and I painted the wood shed. It is a 10x16 lean to made from galvanized metal sheets I salvaged when the pole shed collapsed under a snow load 3 years ago. It was a bit of an eye soar in that some of the sheets contained rust and so we resolved to fix that.

Our plans had been in the works since I built it. On two occasions Linda had bought the pimer but good intentions are often overtaken by more important tasks. Last week she announced for about the sixth time her intention to get started and that we should go to the building supply store and buy some primer and paint.

“What about the primer and paint you bought on two other occasions?“ I inquired. I showed her where it was still sitting for the past two years. “Think its still good?” she asked. Anyway not even did we have the paint but also the rollers, tucked away and waiting to be used. We got to work in the morning while it was still cool and I finished the roof last night.

That is life on the farm. The work is unending and what every one can do for themselves is done. Contracting out is only a last resort. You would be amazed at what people do in the country that an urban dweller would not even consider.

For example a friend of mine, Henry, took his truck and move an out building eight miles to his property. He drove the truck inside, jacked it up and drove off with it. Not too many generations ago people out here did virtually everything but raise and barn by themselves. Today one can go into a building supply store and buy a how to book. These books show step by step what needs to be done on a variety of home improvement projects. The savings by doing it yourself are significant. There is also a book called “Writing Fiction for Dummies,” that is quite good for writers that has been very helpful to me.

Today we are going into the big city to Barnes and Nobel…once a week we try and get out and give ourselves a treat. We always have a good time looking around and having lunch.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/702573-Do-it-Yourself