*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/704979-The-S-10-Muffler
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#704979 added August 31, 2010 at 9:46am
Restrictions: None
The S-10 Muffler
Fixing the Muffler at Carl’s.

Yesterday I took the S-10 over to Carl’s to get a muffler put on. Up on the hoist it was revealed that back from where the header pipes join beneath the engine everything was gone and a saws all kerf had to be sewed up. It was my third expenditure in the great build a street rod for under $2K. I spent $180.

Right now I am pondering what to do next. I think I need to go back to getting the Hearst shifter on the old 3 speed overdrive transmission. The preliminary plan is to hollow out the curve in a piece of angle iron so it follows the contour of the top. Then drill two holes and attach it to the bolt that hold the case of the front part to the one behind it. Then along the left side is an anchor point that was used with the old column shifter. Attach another bracket here and use the two to position the adaptor plate. In the process I will need to fix the transmission stand.

Further I took the Dodge into Adams-Friendship to have the brakes fixed. Driving with bad brakes is always dicey and I took the back roads with Linda and the Dogs following me. After dinner we went back out to Carl’s to see if the S-10 was ready. It appears to be and I need to call to see if it is.

I need to get some pictures of Carl's “Museum.” He is the consummate tinker and has a steel building filled with all manner of old mechanical devices he has restored. People come from all over to get a look. The local Veterans Home sends a bus once a week for a tour. He has a “Hit and Miss” engine I am saving my money to buy.

Otherwise life is slow on the ranch. I finished a first draft of my Writing.com lesson for this week and Linda promised to help me tone it down. It is cloudy today and there is a lovely cool breeze coming through the window. It's been hot for Wisconsin, the past two weeks and the break in weather is most welcome. The farmers up here have had a bumper crop and the harvest is in full swing.

It is common in this agricultural culture for a man to have a shop. Often they are larger and more elaborate than his house. Mine shown here is modest in size and proprotion. Also pictured is my '40 Ford being rehabilitated.
Untitled ~  This care has come a long way in a short time.  The body work has been extensive.
Untitled ~  Here is a front end look at the '40.  It is awaiting the engine, transmission, drive shaft and gear cluster.
Untitled ~  This is a back look at the house.  Note the outside wood burner.  When the shed is full that is enough  to get halfway through the winter.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/704979-The-S-10-Muffler