*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751555-Kids-today-and-yesterday
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#751555 added April 23, 2012 at 6:12pm
Restrictions: None
Kids today and yesterday
April 23, 2012, Monday, Day 23 ~ 30-Day Blogging Challenge prompt is "name three advantages that kids born these days have over older generations. Then, name three advantages that older generations have over kids born these days."


Kids Today


Today, kids can call home from wherever they are without worrying about whether or not they have the proper change for a phone call. Carrying all those quarters, dimes, and nickels always wore holes in our pockets and we could never find them in our purses. Not to mention the fact that all that small change was heavy and cumbersome.

Today, kids can go shopping in the middle of winter or summer without leaving an enclosed mall to go to another store. In addition, they can find any type of food they want and remain in the mall. They do not have to come to a consensus among their friends on where to eat because everyone can have whatever food desired without leaving the mall or going to the same restaurant.

Today, kids do not have to walk more then a few blocks to school. If they live farther then that from school, they can take a bus or have someone, drive them. They do not have to walk two or three miles to school up hill both ways.

Kids Yesterday


Yesterday, we could make prank calls without worrying about someone charging us with harassment.

Yesterday, we learned how to write cursive in school, which was always fun because we could compare our beautiful script with the lousy script of our best friends.

Yesterday, we could play dodge ball and actually hit someone with the ball or get hit ourselves because we did not dodge the ball.

Yesterday, we had unsafe toys and could get seriously hurt, but we did not worry about that because we were having fun. Either that or we did not realize we could get seriously hurt.

Yesterday, we had unsafe fireworks like cherry bombs and roman fountains. We sit them off with no clue that we could get seriously hurt or we did not have sense enough to realize how seriously we could get hurt.

Yesterday, we knew our friends parents existed because there names were in the phone book.

Yesterday, we heard that marvelous dial tone when we picked up the receiver and had the fun of actually dialing a telephone without pushing a button.

Yesterday, we were never sure who was calling us because we did not have caller ID.

Yesterday, we used cameras with real film in them and could screw up a picture if we forgot to advance the film. It was always exciting getting our pictures form the drug store and seeing just how badly we screwed up the pictures we took at our cousin’s birthday party.

Yesterday, we had to wear watches to know what time it was. In addition, we knew that we were grownups when our parents bought us our first wristwatches, as opposed to the pocket watches our grandfathers always carried.

Yesterday, we did not have to worry about getting exercise when we watched television. We got our exercise every time we got up off the couch to change the channel.

Yesterday, we got the mental exercise of memorizing a phone number.

Yesterday, we could go out without our parents knowing where we were, unless we were foolish enough to tell them where we were really going.

Yesterday, we could climb in and out of our bedroom windows without setting off the burglar alarm. Unless of course we forgot to give the dog a bone when we were leaving and coming home.

Author’s Note: I know that is more then three advantages, but once I started walking down memory lane I could not stop.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751555-Kids-today-and-yesterday