*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752075-May-1---Please-wait-while-youre-redirected
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#752075 added May 1, 2012 at 10:57am
Restrictions: None
May 1 - Please wait while you're redirected.
Exactly what I am trying to do, if only for a few minutes...redirect my mind. I think our brain has been programmed to accept this idea. I know, as a parent, I utililized it many times, sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Parents quickly learn that their children often want to do exactly what their parents do not want them to do. I had to think of ways to redirect their wants. It was called "using psychology" back then *Smile*. When my toddlers did not want to eat their veggies, I had to taste and pretend they were delicious *Pthb*. When the clock said it was time for bed, I had to think up stories that could only be told to little ones under the blankets. When I wanted my young ones to start helping with chores, I made those chores sound like they could only be done by grownups and if they did them, they must be growing up.

I utilized the same concept with my husband, although I wouldn't want him to find out *Wink*. I think we all do this "redirecting" all the time. The problem starts when we are on the wrong end, when we are the ones being "redirected", and we realize it. It is human nature to want to be in control, and when we realize we are not, our emotions take over and sometimes get out of hand. Then, it's up to the person redirecting to calm us down and convince us to do what they want us to do.

Good, clear communication, kindness and understanding in any interaction between humans makes "redirecting" a positive experience.

until next time....c *Heart*

© Copyright 2012 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752075-May-1---Please-wait-while-youre-redirected