*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/775645-How-to-be-a-responsible-follower
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#775645 added February 21, 2013 at 10:25am
Restrictions: None
How to be a responsible follower
The February 21, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
Are you a leader or a follower? Why?

I have heard it said that there are only two types of people in the world, leaders and followers. I am not crazy about being a leader because of the responsibility, but neither am I thrilled about being a follower for the same reason. Every human being on this planet, whether leader or follower, is responsible for his or her decisions. This means that no matter which roll I chose or prefer, I cannot get out of the responsibility to myself. Especially since I am past the age of maturity.

If I become a follower, I have to know who I am following and what I am willing to sacrifice to be a follower. I have to ask hard questions and many leader prefer the easy questions that make them look good. Not only do I have to ask the hard questions, but I have to be willing to listen to the voice of my soul, what some people refer to as intuition and other people gut feeling. Whatever you call it, it is part of the human survival instinct for a purpose. In order to become a responsible follower you have to listen to it even if it means abandoning the leader or perspective leader you are following or are considering following.

Am I a leader or a follower? I know this sounds like a cop-out, but it depends on the situation and the circumstances surrounding the situation. For example, if someone knows an excellent restaurant I have not tried, then I am willing to follow that person to Timbuktu even it it means I have to wear a flack jacket to eat at the restaurant. While eating at that restaurant may endanger my life, it can only help the local economy. On the other hand, I am not willing to follow a political leader without knowing more then just party platform, I want to know how that party platform will affect me on an economic, physical, and spiritual level. I cannot find that out without prayer and asking the hard questions.

Quote of the day: "If I had to reduce the responsibilities of a good follower to a single rule, it would be to speak truth to power." - Warren Bennis

I hear a bird singing
in a tree outside my house
the morning sun is rising
I think the bird is looking for a spouse.

© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/775645-How-to-be-a-responsible-follower