*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778276-Some-thoughts-on-my-next-story
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#778276 added March 22, 2013 at 12:05pm
Restrictions: None
Some thoughts on my next story....
I have been thinking about what to write next for my memoir and a very emotional memory is nagging me, emotional and personal although many might not feel that way. As they say...you have to have been there.

In memoirs, we have the upper hand because we already know the story. At least, that is what we are told. I think I write what I know to see if I really do - know it, that is.

Beginning, middle, and end are things all good stories have in common, but they don't have to be in chronological order. Deciding the order takes time when you want to create a good arc. Starting with the action of the story is one way and draws the reader in, but in a memoir it might not be appropriate. Action scenes call for present tense and the narrator's relationships might not present the arc intended.

The beginning should draw the reader in, set the tone and set up a conflict, The middle keeps the conflict going, showing external, internal and emotional conflict and maybe, how they all are the same. The end has to show some kind of resolution, especially difficult in a memoir as the story is always continuing and changing. Just showing how the conflict is faced and its meaning as seen at the time or even in the present is usually enough of a resolution.

To begin, I think I will write this story as a fairy tale. I will have more freedom of expression because I will be outside my story. This is a suggestion in several how-to books. It will be interesting for me to see how it comes out...guess I am a pantser, huh?

Just rambling on today...

till next time...c

© Copyright 2013 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778276-Some-thoughts-on-my-next-story