*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/780225-24-Hours-in-Key-West
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#780225 added April 10, 2013 at 12:48pm
Restrictions: None
24 Hours in Key West
         This week work took me to Broward County, Florida.  Since it is close to Miami, I left a couple of days early so I could cross another item off my bucket list, visit Key West.  I have to say, I was not disappointed.  *Smile*  I arrived in Miami on Friday night, close to midnight.  About all I did then was find a hotel room so I could sleep and rest a little.  Left Saturday morning at 8 or so, and headed south along highway 1.  Key West was only about 120 miles away, but it's a three hour drive getting there.  I stopped at a roadside stand to look at a few things, and loved seeing a much larger than life lobster in front.  It was about 15 feet tall, with a length proportional to it's height.  But I was on a mission, so I didn't loiter too long there.  Arriving in Key West about 1pm, I found my hotel room not available yet.  I had used Hilton Honors points for this, but was a little wary about the hotel since I'd never stayed at a Doubletree.  I should not have worried at all, it was (is) a beautiful resort on the east side of Key West International Airport.  Since I was only there for one night, I couldn't take advantage of everything it had to offer, but it made me consider going back later this year on a proper vacation.  Maybe during Key West FantasyFest?  *Smile*  (Imagine the photo ops!).  About 5 or so, I headed to the old town area and walked around a bit.  I followed the crowds to Mallory Square;  it is here that every night a small party goes on as the sun sets.  There were several performers doing their show on impromptu stages, each one doing a good job of entertaining the crowd.  But I was there for sunset pictures, so I quickly found me a spot, and settled in there.  As the sun lowered, the sky turned to a beautiful purple color towards the east, with the area near the sun being a gorgeous golden swath across the edge of the world.

** Image ID #1928315 Unavailable **


         As the sun dipped below the horizon, a cheer went up from the crowd, and I left Mallory Square looking for a suitable place to eat.  I ended up dining at a nice Thai restaurant that had some pretty good Sushi.  I know, Sushi and Thai?  Yes, it was excellent!

         Sunday morning I woke late, and was very tired due to the lack of sleep on Friday, and walking around quite a bit on Saturday.  But I wouldn't be deterred, and went back to the old part of the city again.  I had a good time doing a little window shopping, as well as visiting a couple of the museums that frequent the area.  About 1pm I had to say goodbye to the city, and headed north so I could be in Plantation Florida for class on Monday.  It's been a nice week here, but it doesn't compare to Key West.  But then, (at least for me), Key West doesn't compare to Hawaii.  But I'd live there if I could afford to.  If you get the chance, visit the city, it's worth a look.  Till next time, y'all be good, and stay warm.  Right now, my next outing is to Great Falls, Montana.  Will keep you informed of that visit too.

** Image ID #1914495 Unavailable **


Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2013 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/780225-24-Hours-in-Key-West