*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/789380-Phantom-Army
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#789380 added August 21, 2013 at 6:27pm
Restrictions: None
Phantom Army
I finished another WWII transcript last night. This one was the wife of a member of the Phantom Army. I had never heard of this before, but apparently they were engineers, artists, actors, etc., who made and placed blown-up replicas of tanks and trucks into warlike positions complete with soundtracks of gunfire and even radio transmissions. They were tactical deceptions...all news to me, I guess, because they were warned never to talk about it. They were a division of only around 1000 men and faked troop divisions of over 30,000 men. Wow! The wife (widow), who was interviewed, has alzheimer's and her memories may be some of the last remaining ones.

Also, I finished Under the Dome (S.K.) which turned out to be very different from the television series upon which it is based (TV on book, that is). It is strange the TV writers left the characters' names the same, but rewrote their parts in the story. For example, in the TV series Angie is imprisoned in a bomb shelter in episode one, but in the book, she is immediately killed off. Barbie is a stranger in town on TV, but he turns up as a short order cook on his way out of town after getting in a fight with Junior in the book. Wish I knew the reason for all these changes. I'll have to keep watching to find out. But I loved the book, all except for its size, heeaavy, another reason for a Kindle. I won't tell the ending unless someone wants to know. The TV ending may be different, too.

Well, I am writing this in between working on my shrub trimming so back at again. Hopefully, it won't rain until I am finished although I do not have much faith in that. We get several rain showers every day now...and hotter than you know what *Smile*.

until next time...c

© Copyright 2013 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/789380-Phantom-Army