*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798307-Remember-the-Alamo
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#798307 added November 20, 2013 at 6:24am
Restrictions: None
Remember the Alamo!
         This past week I was in San Antonio for a couple of days.  No trip to San Antonio is complete without doing two things.  Visiting the Alamo, and walking along the Riverwalk.  Sadly, it was almost dark by the time I hit the Riverwalk, so I couldn't get any decent pictures of the area.  Still, it was interesting to walk it and see the people and various sights along the way.  I figured out one thing pretty quickly though.  It is better to do this with someone special by your side.  Walking this alone isn't near as fun, there's no one to talk or point things out to one another; who knows the little nooks and crannies, stores or stalls I missed because of this?  Still, it was a nice experience.

         The Alamo is another story.  It sits nestled in the middle of the city, surrounded on all sides by high rise buildings, and the bustling life of a modern city.  Other than the buildings that surround it (all which were rebuilt, I believe most were lost during and after the seige), there's no sign this was a place that men stayed to fight a battle, knowing they were going to die.  I've seen many civil war battlefields; each of them has some method of depicting what happened at that site.  The Alamo does too, but I got the impression that it was a place held in awe, revered by the state of Texas, almost like a shrine.  The feeling I had visiting it was totally different than the one I get visiting Gettysburg, Manassas, Antietam, or any other civil war battlefield.  I can't explain why, but it was different.

         Til next week, when I'll be back in Texas, this time in Wichita Falls.  Y'all take care and stay warm in the approaching fall/winter.  One final thought.  My thoughts and prayers are with those hit recently by devastating storms.  Both here in the United States, as well as the Philippines, and anywhere else I may have forgotten.

© Copyright 2013 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798307-Remember-the-Alamo