*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798575-Burn-Book-Review-currently-reading
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1910923
Looks like I may have a ton of these, so this is collection 1 of Reflections
#798575 added November 25, 2013 at 4:25pm
Restrictions: None
Burn Book Review (currently reading)
"Money can't buy what's worth having, it can only accentuate what's missing." ~Me

what's missing = 'what's worth having'

My thought process as I read about Ash from Maya Banks' Burn buying up all of Josie's paintings and pawned jewelry; It's great for him to support her, every girl wants to be taken care of, but I'd be darned if I'd let a man think he 'owned' me in that my very well being rested solely on his generousity; I'll make my own way if I have to and I will NEVER be completely dependent on another...

------------------
I am now on Chapter 18 or so and I'm cresting after a big plot event.

Ash just beat up Josie's ex Michael who went ballistic on her all random like. That's a general fear of mine, to never truly know a guy till something awful like that happens. It's why I try to stay fit and up to date on my self defense, no joke. But God forbid if that did happen to me I hope to have a guy or two in my life that would do the same...with out getting caught.

------------------
My first major criticism of the series began when Ash's long lost baby sister Brittany comes to him begging for help in leaving her controlling mother and grandfather's influence.

I LOVE this family arc in that I'm dying to hear all the juicy details of dysfunction, BUT the writing takes a wrong turn stylistically. Britt and Ash both tend to repeat themselves, a lot. And it's not just this scene, in almost every scene between Ash, Britt, Jace, and/or Gabe the characters constantly say things that don't sound 'normal'. Meaning, I can't imagine most people, if anyone, saying some of these lines naturally. They sound rehearsed and scripted. Then the proceed to say the same thing in a slightly different way but with most of the same words all within the same couple paragraphs, it's maddening!

Also, the cursing gets old quick. I get it, people cuss, some people even cuss a lot; but you can only use 'fuck', 'gdamn', and 'ass' so much before it just becomes caricaturist and I wish the characters were played in a more mature fashion.

---------------------
Hoping to finish the book this week but with TGiving and my waning interest, (what else is there to discuss? I hope something big happens with his sister) only time will tell.

© Copyright 2013 A*Monaing*Faith (UN: afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
A*Monaing*Faith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798575-Burn-Book-Review-currently-reading