*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809927-Is-your-prayer-from-the-2-junk-shop-or-is-it-hand-made
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#809927 added March 13, 2014 at 1:10am
Restrictions: None
Is your prayer from the $2 junk shop, or is it hand made?
Blogging badge


It may seem outrageous, even blasphemous, and I hesitate to blog on this, but here goes.

I'm not an advocate for repetitive prayers, such as the many times repeated "Lord's Prayer".

Yes, Jesus prayed it, but he also pointed out some advice about praying; to think what are you praying and who you are standing before - and make it count, instead of just saying words like a parrot with no sincerity or meaning.

If you were God, how would you feel about copy and paste prayers? Come to think of it, how would you feel about cheeky, rude and ignorant, not to mention tiny humans. Then there are the ones who don't believe in you, turn your pure guileless benevolence into malignant, filthy half truths; how would you react?

I know if it was me, I'd feel like destroying creation. But that's me. Someone with not a lot of patience when it comes to some things. (Ok maybe many things) But this God that is Love doesn't work like that. And our human way of thinking doesn't even come close to understanding God's purpose, or the height and depth of his mercy. Of that we can be certain, otherwise we'd have been wiped out long ago, like in the flood.

Back to the subject at hand, the Lord's Prayer.

Why is it then, that people chant this prayer like a Dictaphone, and think it magically solves everything? Well, there you have it. I've completely destroyed a lot of people's ideas on prayer.
People are individual, and I'm sure God would like to see the colours! Prayers shouldn't be in black and white, or just the one colour. (Nothing to do with race here)

Surely he wants to hear everything we've done each day, and for us to come to him with our story, like the children we should be. The moment we become anything other than children, I'm not sure he's so interested in our prayers then.

The proud ones who have grown into "adults" no longer need advice, don't want to simply obey anymore. As adults, we hold grudges, try to find loopholes, and invent all sorts of complex ideas about why we shouldn't have to take any notice anymore.

But children? Children forgive quickly, are usually meek, and innocent. Prayers should be full of the colour of our most inner self, our deepest thoughts, the language of our soul that only God can understand. Prayers should be a one off, every time. Sounds like quite a bit of time to be spent thinking then eh? I'm guilty more than many of not taking the time, and then wondering why I fail a lot at things I should do, or things I shouldn't.




Having said all that, I do like the wording in this prayer below, even if it has been used globally, and appears as a sign in many people's homes; a plaque on the wall. The wording is very thought provoking and brings a sense of comfort. If nothing else, it's an acknowledgement

The serenity prayer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

I saw a similar word to serenity today. Serendipity.



Often, this blog happens like that. I sometimes worry that there'll not be anything to write about, and a blog, or writing, shouldn't be stressful - it's all about enjoyment. But in reality, mostly something comes up and falls into place. Like Serendipity.

Well, this is my view about prayer; something I don't do nearly enough. It's so easy to rush into the day, without this vital investment of our time.

Sparky
Quills sig
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809927-Is-your-prayer-from-the-2-junk-shop-or-is-it-hand-made