*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/813012-No-debonairity-in-this-blog-entry-seriosity-in-fewty-words
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#813012 added April 8, 2014 at 2:07am
Restrictions: None
No debonairity in this blog entry, seriosity in fewty words
Today I did something that has always freaked me out immensely.

I did some cold calling. Telemarketing. I called a bunch of strangers, after finding their numbers in the phone book.

Have you any idea how daunting this was to me?

Yes, it was simple, and I wasn't selling anything, just passing on information to the people. Almost all of those I managed to talk to were positive about the information, or at least pretended to be interested.

The calls lasted probably 20 seconds each at the most.

But each one made me sweat with fear. Yes, calling people on the phone, or even talking to them in person, is a hard thing for me to do.

Is this a good time to use the obsolete word "Nervosity" ? (See link below)

Communicating on Facebook, or some other medium where you type, is a lot better for me.

People criticize social media, don't they? Do they blame faceless, isolated methods of communication for turning people into a bunch of anti social geek-heads, who normally hide under rocks, and are most likely of doubtful morals, and have zero backbone.

I feel sure the opposite is the case. By typing a message, even in instant messaging, you have time or can make time, to get your answer right. You can delete stuff and retype it. You can change your mind without the other making a big deal out of it. You have a sort of safety barrier. Sometimes this isn't so positive.
The very features, the convenient and user friendly bits of social media can also become potential minefields of misinterpreted meaning and intention.

Remember the times you sent a text, your mood and meaning happy and relaxed, only to find that because you didn't insert a smiley emoticon, or a laugh, the recipient concluded that your "joke" or banter was serious? Suddenly you're in hot water. You have a situation.

But the good points outweigh the bad, by far.

Still, I think todays efforts on the phone were good for me. My anxiety has not diminished at all. Every call is just as hard. But I feel a sense of victory. That is a big boost for me at the moment, being unemployed and although a full time carer, for someone basically in their prime of life I've felt very much a failure lately.
Anyone would feel that way when they can't provide for their loved ones, and have to depend on someone else for basic necessities.

Just today, my parent's home carer made comments in jest, but they hit home, even so.

"Ahh, your grown children don't come home to help out, they are really here just to take it easy, don't do anything, just depend on you for everything."

I know this isn't the case and so does this person, I would hope. But for a man like me who (yes I know it's probably sexist but too bad, I'm me.) likes the feeling of doing his bit in life, in the family etc, to not be able, to have this anxiety crap, this ridiculous weak mindedness of bipolar and depression, it can equate to a miserable feeling, that's for sure.

So, to overcome some hurdles and cut to the chase - do something that was extremely difficult for me, and yet I did it, that feeling is...yes, quite pleasant.

Ok, enough of the oversharing of my personal life's information. I'm sure you really wanted to know. Everyone has their struggles, and I have to harden up. Yes, for those facing these mental battles, it's not that simple, is it?

I think it's important to write this stuff straight to the point, and get it out there. Let people read it. What's the worst that could happen? Someone ring the police? I feel a bit stupid? People laugh, and think I'm weak?
I think strength comes in being who you really are, and if it's not so positive, then take steps to change it.

And if my telling it how it is helps even one person today, feel they are not alone in these sort of struggles, then well and good.
Yes, enough of my problems, which are small in the greater scheme of things.

Here's an interesting link to some obsolete words that we never see anymore, perhaps with good reason, they are irritating as heck. *Smirk*

Arika Okrent presents:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/56020/fiercety-seriosity-debonairity-14-abstract-...

Really? Fewty? *Bigsmile*

Then, the summary of this is, that even though my mind shrivels up at the idea of simply phoning someone with information that will do them a big favour, I now have a word to confront those invaders of other countries, yes those authoritarians, who use heavity.

They should learn how to earn respect, and it certainly won't come by using rudity.

Article by Adam Taylor:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/04/07/the-frustrating-rea...

I think the Cambridge University Press should grow some large, heavy, round, hairy projections, stop letting someone walk all over them (and the international community) and just publish the book already.

He's obviously the criminal, not Karen Dawisha and her accurately researched book. If it wasn't legit information she wouldn't allow or welcome peer reviews.

Yes, CUP. Show some Fiercety!

Sparky

Quills sig

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/813012-No-debonairity-in-this-blog-entry-seriosity-in-fewty-words