*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/813523-Do-you-know-what-the-far-side-is-Dont-ask-anyone
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#813523 added April 12, 2014 at 6:51am
Restrictions: None
Do you know what the far side is? Don't ask anyone...
I'm not the best looking bloke to belt around the back blocks of beyond buying stuff at backyard sales.
But today, us two brothers purchased a couple of bicycles for the princely sum of $5 each.

Now to keep the tyres pumped up long enough to get a decent ride on em. There are nasty cathead burrs around here, thorns that will give us a puncture very quickly.
We were given a bit of advice at the sale though. I don't suppose anyone on this site has worked in shearing sheds?
Anyone know what emery paper is? More to the point, anyone know what emery paper glue is used for?

It's used to glue emery paper (like sandpaper) to a wheel. The wheel is then bolted to another one until the paper glue is set.

On the post on the left is where it's bolted on to set the glue. I took this pic while sitting in a shearing shed having "smoko" which is when you have a rest from your arduous labour *Pthb* and have a cup of tea, coffee, can of fanta or coke, eat a sandwich or two, some fruit maybe, eat some biscuits (sort of cookies) and either have a yarn and / or do some texting on your phone, maybe check on facebook.



http://www.topgunshearing.com.au/products-page/accessories/emery-papers-glue/
http://www.topgunshearing.com.au/products-page/equipment/combs/heiniger-combs/x-...



Then the wheel is unbolted, and bolted to a grinder, so that combs and cutters that shearers use to shear sheep, are ground on the emery wheel to sharpen them.

This glue is yellow, and has a strong chemical odour. Apparently what you do is squirt plenty into your tyre valve on the bicycle, and then pump it up, and go for a ride. The glue rolls around inside and any punctures will be quickly repaired from within by the escaping glue.
Yes, you can buy special stuff for doing this, but emery glue is just a short cut trick. One man here uses it in his Quad bike on the farm, and he says it does a good job. Just as good or better than the bought stuff.

So...people, you heard it here first! What has this to do with writing? Nothing, but at the moment I can't think of anything much to talk about re writing.

Here's an unrelated link. Perhaps not so much. The far side is closer than you might think. *Wink*

http://twentytwowords.com/hardcore-metalheads-reveal-lighter-side-photos-cats-11...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Far_Side

PS. I'm not having a go at anyone here ok, just a light hearted laugh. If you don't laugh, you'll cry and that's not good for a writer to be seen crying. Not good for sales.

Sparky

Quills sig

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/813523-Do-you-know-what-the-far-side-is-Dont-ask-anyone