*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817233-For-May-Fantasy-Newsletter
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#817233 added May 29, 2019 at 11:31pm
Restrictions: None
For May Fantasy Newsletter
What's the Weather like on Your Planet?


How does the weather effect your characters and the story plot?



Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get.
Mark Twain

'The storm starts, when the drops start dropping
When the drops stop dropping then the storm starts stopping.'

Dr. Seuss


I reviewed a couple of flash fiction stories last week that got me to thinking about the weather and the way it effects our lives. Each of the stories covered the same theme and used extreme weather events as part of the story plot. In each story, the weather had an effect on the outcome of the story or the on the characters themselves. After reading those stories, I started to think about the importance of weather in our lives.

Throughout history weather has caused problems in the lives of individuals and, in some cases it has even changed the expected outcome of battles or caused battles to be delayed. This brings me to the weather on the planet or in the world you created. Is the weather included in your story as a part of the plot? Do weather events effect the lives of the characters? Are the weather events just in the story to make it seem more real without being part of the plot?

If I am reading a story with a weather event, I like to know how it is effecting the lives of the characters. This is because weather has an effect on my life and the things I chose to do each day. In short stories and novels I want to see the weather having some sort of effect on the plot or the characters because it makes the story more exciting and real. I suggest that when putting extreme weather events in your stories that you research the event, even if that event takes place on another planet or in another dimension.

I have a challenge for you. Chose a random weather event and use it as part of the plot. Make it a short story between 500 and 2,000 words and submit it by June 16, 2014. Every one who submits a story will receive a review of the the story and the story link will be in upcoming newsletters.

Don't forget the challenge.

© Copyright 2019 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817233-For-May-Fantasy-Newsletter