*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/829037-Sounding-out-the-sounds
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1940894
Originally for the 30-Day Blog Challenge. Now just a blog about a flailing mermaid
#829037 added September 25, 2014 at 6:58am
Restrictions: None
Sounding out the sounds
30 DBC - 25th September - Prompt: I feel pretty strongly we've all heard a train whistle whoo-hoo wailing in the distance. Maybe a baby cooing in their crib or somewhere. What about the high pitch screech of a fire-truck? Sound fills a void in our writing, don't you agree. They invite the reader in to share the experience.

1.What in your opinion is the best sound of all? 2. What is the worst sound of all. 3. Finally, Share an experience about a sound that truly moved you




Well, this has definitely given me my food for thought. Now that think about it, I don't hear read it think I am a sound kind of person.If I look back in to my memory box, that is my brain, I only really get feelings and images. If I concentrate hard then I will be able to imagine the sounds attached to certain memories. However, it is not the first thing to come to mind.
For example, if I think about the starter's gun at the start of a international race. In this situation, my memory
indicates that I, without fail, always needed a wee. No matter what I had done prior to the race. It was inevitable. So, yeah, that was the feeling I had every single time. The sound of the gun, doesn't really register – even though I know exactly what it sounds like and could identify it very easily.
In this case, I am not entirely sure how to answer this prompt. Sure, certain music and the like do make me think of certain situations, as we have discovered from earlier prompts. But I do not think, for me, sounds are the be all and end all.
A sound that scares me shitless, if this sounds of another car's horn, which, upon hearing it, you realise you have made a mistake that probably could have killed you if you had have been so lucky. Luckily for me, This doesn't happen often. But you know what I'm saying - those times where you have to carry on driving but really you want to stop just so you can chill out for a few seconds.
I am very aware that I haven't actually answered this prompt. But I am also aware that different people have different ways of understanding the world. For example, University, I went to all the lectures, but when I came out of each and every one of them, I could not tell you anything that was said. All my friends were astonished when I came out with the best results of all of them because they thought I had no idea what was occurring. This was, technically, true after lectures. But I just went home and read up on the information needed, and then I knew what was going on.

So, in answer to this, I am just going to say that sounds do not do it for me. It doesn't mean I can't write about sounds, I just don't relate to them as much as I do with imagery, feelings and the written word.


In other news:

*Note1* I am writing this with DragonDictate today. I have used this before, but I did so on a laptop and unfortunately it just slowed everything down so it didn't really work properly. This time I have come upstairs to try with my desktop, which is much faster. I reckon I have done reasonably well so far but I am not sure that I am at novel writing stage with it just yet. Maybe I will be one day? It has been getting easier even as I have been writing this post.
*Note1* I ordered a WDC hoodie a few weeks ago and that arrived this morning which is very exciting because I am actually quite cold.
*Note1* I am not going to do a yellow Brick today – I need to re-evaluate the situation *Laugh*. Just so you know, this does not indicate whether the answer has been guessed yet or not *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2014 Fran πŸŒˆπŸ§œβ€β™€οΈ (UN: frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fran πŸŒˆπŸ§œβ€β™€οΈ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/829037-Sounding-out-the-sounds