*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839172-Oppression-of-the-Body
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1940894
Originally for the 30-Day Blog Challenge. Now just a blog about a flailing mermaid
#839172 added January 21, 2015 at 3:51pm
Restrictions: None
Oppression of the Body
30-Day Blogging Challenge - Day twenty-one
Prompt: Write about your body. [from Writing Forward, writingforward.com]

Hahahahaha

My body doesnā€™t work like yours. The End.

Iā€™m kidding, Iā€™m kidding! Letā€™s talk bodiesā€¦

After quite a lot of thought about this prompt, Iā€™ve decided to go ahead and simply quote one of my old(ish) essays. The essay title was:

Assess Paul Abberleyā€™s (1987) contention that, for disabled people, the body is the principal site of oppression: ā€˜both in form and what is done to itā€™

Abberleyā€™s (1987) article ā€œThe Concept of Oppression and the Development of a Social Theory of Disabilityā€ draws upon several aspects of impairment and disability in order to compare the similar experiences of other oppressed groups, such as black people and women. Furthermore, Abberley (1987) explores the economic and social deficits experienced by people with impairments (Abberley, 1987: 7). Whilst doing so, and perhaps controversially, Abberley (1987) argues that impairments themselves are socially created. Such line of reasoning somewhat undermines the social model of disability and enables questions to be raised about the universal experiences of oppression for people with impairments.

Moreover, one of Abberleyā€™s (1987) main contentions is that the body is disabled peopleā€™s principal site of oppression, ā€˜both in form and what is done to itā€™ (1987: 14). Traditionally, the oppression of women, black people and people with impairments has been rationalised by relating to their biological ā€œweaknessesā€. There has, in recent times, been a distinct retreat from such beliefs, however impairment cannot be totally disassociated from biology. Indeed, as Abberley proposed, ā€˜for disabled people the biological differenceā€¦ is itself a part of the oppressionā€™ (1987: 8). In other words, popular thinking continues to concern itself with the ā€˜deficiencies of the disabled body/mindā€™, relating the cause of disability to individuals, rather than to the inadequate and unequal provisions of society (Barnes and Mercer, 2003: 20). Consequently, the medicalisation of disability, with offerings of corrective surgery and medication, is often accepted as a practical method of ā€œtreatingā€ disability (ibid).

In addition, there has been a long and indisputable divide between disabled and ā€œable-bodiedā€ people, whereby ā€˜able-bodied normalcy is embedded in everyday thinking and behaviour as a privileged and desirable state of beingā€™ (ibid). This able-bodied ā€“ disabled dichotomy plays an important role in the development of personal identities and, often, sees all disabled people fused together into a solitary category that denies identity development (Shildrick, 2004: 124). Certainly, the disabled body has been misrepresented by societal norms (normalisation) and, therefore, has been portrayed as a ā€˜symbol of shame and object of fearā€™ (Paterson and Hughes, 2000: 32). Moreover, the mass media continues to produce somewhat derogatory representations of disability. However, with the disability movement concentrating its efforts upon the de-medicalisation of disability, asserting that people are disabled by social barrier, it has, somewhat ignored the importance of the body and the experiences of those who live with physical differences (Edwards and Imrie, 2003: 240).



In other news:

Tomorrow is going to be insane. I have to drive 90 miles to go to a 6 hour board meeting. Then I have to zoom 20 miles down the road to get to a meeting about joining another board. Then 110miles home to write a presentation for Friday morning. And I wonder why Iā€™m feeling overwhelmed at the moment.
Iā€™ll still try and get my blog in though.






© Copyright 2015 Fran šŸŒˆšŸ§œā€ā™€ļø (UN: frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fran šŸŒˆšŸ§œā€ā™€ļø has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839172-Oppression-of-the-Body