*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839497-LGBT-Schools-The-Problem-of-Segregation
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1940894
Originally for the 30-Day Blog Challenge. Now just a blog about a flailing mermaid
#839497 added January 25, 2015 at 2:24pm
Restrictions: None
LGBT Schools: The Problem of Segregation
30 Day Blogging Challenge - day twenty five
Prompt - The Sunday News!: Pick a random article from the headlines and talk about it. Share your opinions and feelings about it. Encourage a conversation.

Well, I've nearly caught up with the blogging situation. I wasn't too far behind anyway. But, as I've said before, I have never done this challenge and not posted every day. I'm partly annoyed at myself as I do everything to win (I'm not going to lie). Given that I've been late a few times and have barely commented on other entries, my chances of winning this round are slim. That is okay though. Alas, I have to accept that life gets in the way and sometimes has to take priority. It has also been good for me not to beat myself up and feel like I need to do everything all the time.
That reminds me, I really need to write my Dear Me letter!

So, news... have I mentioned that I hate this news prompt? However, by my calculations, this is the last time I'll need to do it... for this round at least. Better get cracking then...

My news story this week is:

School for LGBT pupils planned for Manchester

The first school in Britain for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender young people could open its doors within the next three years. Based in the centre of Manchester, the specialist state school plans to take 40 full-time students from across the area and will offer up to 20 part-time places for young people who want to continue attending a mainstream school.
( The Guardian  )

Right, I first heard this on the radio over breakfast the other day and my first reaction was to roll my eyes. I haven't changed my mind.
I understand that a lot of people who identify as LGBT get bullied and have a hard time: I feel for them, I really do. But everyone who doesn't "fit in" to societal norms will have a hard time at some point. Hello! I speak from experience. Yet, surely, segregating minority groups from mainstream settings is downright wrong? Why on earth would this be a good idea?

To me this idea would just entrench the problem further..... "these kids are different so we're moving them to a different school so you can see how different they are. Carry on bullying, kids!"

Personally, I am different. Maybe more so than any gay person will ever be. I had two very different schooling experiences. I started school in Malawi, Africa where I barely had any in-class support. Then I moved to the UK, where I was forced to have full-time in-class support. The difference was phenomenal.

Perhaps my positive memories of Malawi were due to exactly that. Whereby the encouragement to be as independent as possible, including a lack of support in school, meant I was more accepted and never bullied. Whereas, in the UK, the increased support in schools "singled me out" as being different and I was bullied constantly.

Teaching and acceptance is the key. Not segregation.

© Copyright 2015 Fran 🌈🧜‍♀️ (UN: frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fran 🌈🧜‍♀️ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839497-LGBT-Schools-The-Problem-of-Segregation