*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/845905-Connecting-Satire-and-Irony-in-Fiction
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#845905 added April 5, 2015 at 4:06pm
Restrictions: None
Connecting Satire and Irony in Fiction
Satire and Irony in fiction are not the same but they go together, sort of like couples who enjoy similar things. Satire deals with what the entire society is based on, as to the comedy of beliefs. Irony has to do with the story logic in which the characters get the opposite of what they want or take action to get. It can also be said that, to express its intent, satire may use irony, among the other tools in its repertoire.

Irony becomes a pattern that connects all action when used throughout the entire story. It also expresses the core philosophy of how the storyworld works.

When satire and irony connect as the satiric-ironic form, the moral argument is shown by the setting up of contrasts between characters or inside one character who thinks he’s being moral by supporting the beliefs of the society and the actions and effects of them, even if they are immoral.

As an example to this kind of a society, think of the Nazi Germany in which German citizens supported their government or today’s cults of extremist believers in the Middle East and Africa. In this type of a social system, the hero lives in clearly defined morals, or better said, immoral beliefs by society. In such a story, at least one of the characters exhibits or boasts of the values on which the system is based. Such a society always is an open ground for satire and irony and other tools of biting humor.

I wrote this entry today because a while ago I read a powerful poem "Invalid Entry by alfred booth, wanbli ska for today’s prompt in "Dew Drop Inn. As much as we like to express our rage through poetry, we can also make a dent through fiction by using biting humor. Would anyone like to try? Or do you already have a story that would reflect this idea?

© Copyright 2015 Joy-the Harpy Witch (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy-the Harpy Witch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/845905-Connecting-Satire-and-Irony-in-Fiction