*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/846116-The-Fire-of-Writing
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#846116 added April 7, 2015 at 3:39pm
Restrictions: None
The Fire of Writing
Prompt: “The blazing fire makes flames and brightness out of everything thrown into it.”
Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
What do you think about this quote? Do you keep a blazing fire when it comes to your writing?


===========


A fire starts from a spark. Then it spreads and envelops everything on its journey.

The same process applies to most anything. For example, even if you took just one step to become a pioneer, chances are you’ll take many more steps to eventually blaze your own trail.

In Sanskrit, The Gita says: “Do your duty to the best of your ability without worrying about the results.” A farmer may think he has control over how he works his land, but he has no control over the harvest. Yet, he cannot expect a harvest if he does not work his land. He has to keep his fire to farm going.

In writerly terms, the spark corresponds to the desire to write. Then like a fire, once a writer gets going from a single sentence or a line--similar to one part of a log--, she reaches for all that is there. Then, soon enough what she started becomes a blazing fire, ready to tackle anything and everything in her way.

I love to write, and I’ll write about all that shows up on my path. I may not be successful in any or most of the things, but I’ll write anyhow. It is the fire hidden in the wish that propels me.

A writing life is a daring life. I dare despite any criticism, and even advice. What I do is more important than the generalized plans for it. Or the outcome.

I have to go with what works to keep the fire going. If my fire is hot enough, it will devour anything and everything thrown at it.




© Copyright 2015 Joy-the Harpy Witch (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy-the Harpy Witch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/846116-The-Fire-of-Writing