*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872830-It-Takes-Two
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(131)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#872830 added February 6, 2016 at 7:46pm
Restrictions: None
It Takes Two

** Image ID #2070351 Unavailable **



Song: "It Takes Two"
Artist: Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock
Album: It Takes Two


Harlem hip-hop duo Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock landed a record label (Profile Records) with their first single, "DJ Interview." And it was their first profile release, "It Takes Two," that catapulted them into the mainstream. Using multiple samples from the James Brown/Lyn Collins song "Think (About It)," the track became very popular and the label quickly put together a plan to release an entire album from the duo. Although they had modest successes with some of their follow-ups, they never had another hit that even came close to rivaling this song's Top 40 status on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as its platinum certification. All Music Guide's critic Stephen Thomas has even been quoted as saying, "Many critics and listeners claim that Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock's 'It Takes Two' is the greatest hip hop single ever cut. It's hard to disagree with them."

Unfortunately, a lot of uncertainty and rumors followed the duo around for years. There were allegations that Rob Base had personal problems and legal issues stemming from their use of Frankie Beverly's "Maze" in their follow-up single "Joy and Pain." DJ E-Z Rock eventually went his separate ways to deal with his own personal issues, which effectively made Rob Base a solo artist. His 1989 solo album didn't fare nearly as well as this track, nor did the 1994 reunion album after the two had joined forces again. E-Z Rock died of a diabetes-related seizure in 2014 and, according to Wikipedia, sixteen months after Rock's death, "Rob Base returned to the stage and rocked a private party in Armonk, NY." I think we have a fan updating their Wikipedia page! *Rolling*

I think I was a little too young to appreciate the initial popularity of this song in 1988, but it's a testament to the song's longevity that I can remember several points in my life where the song enjoyed a resurgence and was played at parties, weddings, and other celebrations. I recall hearing it as far back as junior high and high school dances, and as recently as at a wedding I went to last year (and no, I wasn't the one that requested it! *Wink*). It's hard enough to have a hit song, let alone an evergreen hit that keeps coming around decade after decade.




© Copyright 2016 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872830-It-Takes-Two