*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916924-Gorgeous-Guyana
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#916924 added August 6, 2017 at 6:06pm
Restrictions: None
Gorgeous Guyana
GUYANA
DAY 5
Yawn... I did moan and groan about today’s early start, but that is the price of travelling. My eyes were certainly bleary, but I did not dare to even blink lest I miss something. The views from the plane were spectacular. One of the best parts of flying is chit-chatting with my fellow travellers. We are all suitably awed by what we see. Now we will explore Guyana, land of many waters.
         Oh, Lyn you are such a trip guru! The Hotel is superb with its stunning ocean vista. It feels so posh and decadent.
So, we are set loose in Georgetown the largest city in Guyana and its capital. Interestingly, it is built within a sea wall. The sun feels so warm against my skin. I like the sing-songy local dialect known as Guyanese Creole. People always seem to smile. Huh, Guyana is the only South American country in which English is the official language. I expect it will be tinged/influenced by this nation’s past colonial rule by the Dutch and the British. Guyana is a relatively new nation that earned its independence and established itself as a republic in 1970.
          I enjoy my stroll/meander through the Georgetown Promenade Gardens. Trees abound and everything is so lush and green. One huge flower in particular is beautiful, the Victoria lily. It serves as this land’s national showcase of a bloom. The many arbors and benches in this park welcome me to sit and soak in its glory. I laugh when I discover that one plant is named the cannon ball. One gazebo is especially pretty with its red-spired roof. We find a massive knot of tree roots and decide it is a photo opportunity to good to pass up. Locals tell us it’s a buttress tree. Sally , Apondia ,Spookifish 👻 and Scaredy Kitti climb into it for our pics. Strike a pose, ladies. It’s somewhat comparable to the giant redwoods back home in British Columbia.
         Wow, the St. George’s Anglican Cathedral is impressive. Our guide informs us that this is one of the tallest wooden church structures in the world, and it was erected in 1842. The builders were certainly artistes!
          It’s such a shame that a seemingly beautiful location such as Guyana has petty street crime to mar the touristy experience. It doesn’t jive with the gorgeous scenery and locale.
         It was a great day to stroll and saunter about. Supper was served at an Indian restaurant, Aagman. I love curry, and I didn’t hesitate to order it. I also tasted the mulligatawny soup, mainly because its name intrigued me. I also could not resist
sampling some chicken shish kebab. Thank God all this hiking scares away the weight gaining gremlins. The atmosphere in this dining establishment was all light and gold. It appeared to glow. There’s nothing better than listening to one’s travel companions comparing notes, and sensations.

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916924-Gorgeous-Guyana