*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/919851-No-birthday-Cake-Inconceivable
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#919851 added September 5, 2017 at 9:36pm
Restrictions: None
No birthday Cake? Inconceivable!
Talk Tuesday! Let's continue the Birthday Week theme...imagine for a minute, as horrifying as it may sound, that there has never been such a culinary invention as cake. How terrible would that be, and what would everyone at your party gather around as they sang "Happy Birthday" to you?
         
         
         
         What, no cake? Inconceivable! What would Marie Antoinette have said during the French revolution? How could we describe something as easy?
         How terrible would that be? I like having my cake and eating it too. Where else would I put my icing? Where else could my mother have hidden some coins for my birthday guests, and what else could my glutton-of-a-dog have gobbled , coins, candles, and all , before those guests arrived? I'm still trying to envision this cakeless world...
         Okay, okay, sigh... One year, I decided not to bake the expected and traditional cake for my hubby's birthday. Instead of this treat, I presented him with one of his favourite desserts, a hot fudge pudding. This decadent concoction resembles both a thick pudding, and a cake. That's right, they are both combined in an ooey gooey wonder. Oh, and did I mention it is served hot right from the oven? Anyway, I may have foregone the cake, but I still wanted the birthday candles. I inserted the said candles into the depth of this steaming dessert and I lit them. By the time our family had finished singing "Happy Birthday", those poor candles were sputtering stumps fast disappearing into the dark pool of chocolate. Yep, they\d melted from the bottom up.
         Recently, at my niece's birthday, we were served a delectable cheesecake. Oh, we attempted to force the candles into this frozen dessert, but to no avail. We crippled a few of these wax wonders all because my great-nephew enjoys blowing them out. Cradling a burning candle in one's trembling hand is not quite the same thing.
         So, enough of this evasion and meandering. Hmmm, what could replace a cake at my birthday party? Maybe a portrait of me in a suitably festive photo frame could be the main focus. Of course, I'm not suggesting that my family erect a shrine, or any such thing. We just require something to sing at/to. In the past, I have hidden under tables to avoid all the attention the birthday song evokes.
         I kinda like the idea of a Birthday piñata. Bashing something might relieve some of the aging stress.

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/919851-No-birthday-Cake-Inconceivable