*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1384416
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 11, 2006 at 2:46pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello
by A Non-Existent User
Like Stormy Witch I happened here by chance, but the problem of finding time to write is
a problem many working mom's have. Though let me share this story with you, I was at the Writers' Summer School, held anually in the UK village of Swanwick.

One of our leading female authors was asked this question, and her reply went something like this.
"I was married to a man who used to drink and beat me. I had three young children
to care for and I had to work part time. Nothing very strange in that, many women share similar experiences, but I wanted to write.
I bought my first second-hand typewriter six months before the doctors told me I was
going blind. I knew that if ever I was going to escape from my situation, I had to use
what time I had left to write a novel and get it published. Friends told me it was impossible, and asked. how could I find time to write without negecting my family?

I persuaded a friend to take my children to school and collect them, that gave me an hour and a half a day. I stopped watching my favourite soaps on TV and gained another two hours a day. When my friends dropped in they talked and I typed, and five months later I submitted the first three chapters, and the synopsis of my novel to a publisher. They accepted it and paid me a small advance enabling me to by a computer, so that I could continue to write.
So please don't tell me you haven't the time, you must make the time availabe to you.

Aileen Armitage has since published over 30 novels, and is now happily re-married.

Please don't think I agree with everythiing she said, all of our situations are different,
but we can all find time to write if we really want to.

Kindest regards,

tonyb
MESSAGE THREAD
Hello · 10-10-06 3:00pm
by SL Krieg
Re: Hello · 10-10-06 3:33pm
by Liam Jackson
Re: Re: Hello · 10-10-06 3:51pm
by SL Krieg
Re: Re: Re: Hello · 10-10-06 4:20pm
by Liam Jackson
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello · 10-11-06 2:46pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello · 10-11-06 3:00pm
by SL Krieg
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello · 10-11-06 5:30pm
by enmyofthestate
Re: Hello · 10-11-06 5:47pm
by Al
Re: Re: Hello · 10-11-06 5:55pm
by SL Krieg

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1384416