*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1384504
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 11, 2006 at 6:03pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New writer's weakness
by Al
Lori,
you are absolutely right. There was a great poem on the review forum of this website today about the writer who gets bogged down in not making any "errors" that they cannot express. On the other side of that coin is the fact that the puctuation and grammar are our tools as writers. I will spare you the analogies to paiters and their brushes, etc. but a writer can use punctuation and grammar to better convey what it is that their right brain wants to convey. Does that mean a person who does not know a preposition from a participle from a gerund from a blah blah blah cannot write, hell no, that is not what it means. People walk around, they speak, and they can find their voice in writing, and their voice may be flawed. (that is what editors are for) but seriously, all that is important is that the lack of grammar and punctuation does not fight against the reader trying to get into the story. Some readers are more picky than others. But consider this without knowing how to use commas sentences can be very confusing at best at worst they can be unreadable. even if you made it through that sentence, it lacked any rythym. It lacked my voice, which, i am sure, you are sick of by now. Best to all.
MESSAGE THREAD
New writer's weakness · 09-20-06 8:26pm
by DaniBella
Re: New writer's weakness · 09-20-06 8:46pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: New writer's weakness · 09-21-06 4:25am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: New writer's weakness · 09-21-06 11:29am
by Kritter
Re: New writer's weakness · 09-24-06 2:38pm
by Talanis
Re: New writer's weakness · 09-24-06 7:44pm
by Liam Jackson
Re: New writer's weakness · 10-14-06 8:46am
by misterkel
Re: Re: New writer's weakness · 10-14-06 9:37am
by Liam Jackson

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1384504