*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1405666
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 22, 2006 at 4:38am
Edited: November 22, 2006 at 4:48am
Re: Self Doubt
First off, I hope I'm responding in the correct way here. Thanks guys, it is a big comfort to realise that I am not alone in this. I don't know anyone else who is involved in anything creative so don't get a chance to ask stuff like this. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, they are very helpful. I read an eBook a while back called "The 10% Solution" by Ken Rand, which is a writers guide to editing and it talked about the two sides of a writer. (a) the creative writer and (b) the editor. The advice given is similer to things you guys mentioned, particularly it says not to let the "Editor" side of you get involved when you are writing. Try to keep them seperate and only let your mind go into edit mode when you have written a significant piece of work otherwise you will break the creative flow by constantly stopping to rewrite and change things you have just written. I think this is very good advise, sadly for me it is easier said than done because I am not that disciplined in my approach to writing. Something I need to work on. [Shameless Plug Time]BTW If any of you guys have time to check out the two chapters of my story in my portfolio, I would be very grateful for any suggestions or constructive criticisms of what I have so far. The story started as a piece of fan-fiction based on a universe in the X series of space computer games. I am currently writing out the "X-universe" and replacing it with one of my own as I want the story to stand on it's own merits and not be tied to any external copyright material.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein
MESSAGE THREAD
Self Doubt · 11-21-06 5:19am
by Witchicus Rex
Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 10:22am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 10:34am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 11:33am
by uniqazdacome
Re: Re: Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 3:14pm
by Liam Jackson
Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 11:20am
by Liam Jackson
Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 10:54pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Self Doubt · 11-22-06 5:37am
by Liam Jackson
*Star* Re: Self Doubt · 11-22-06 4:38am
by Witchicus Rex
Re: Self Doubt · 11-22-06 11:15am
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Self Doubt · 11-23-06 1:16am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Self Doubt · 12-20-06 9:25am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1405666