*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1405780
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 22, 2006 at 11:15am
Re: Self Doubt
*Laugh* Who doesn't struggle with this?

I have one story here that was featured recently (and not for the first time) in the Romance Newsletter.

The first draft had one character, a customs officer, on the wrong side of the border. Only one Canadian reader even noticed, and kindly pointed out the error. I have a character walking a tightrope over Niagara Falls - at a point where no one who has ever walked a tightrope over the falls would have tried it, for a variety of reasons (too wide, too wet, and probably too much updraft). That bit of fantasy, I chose to write deliberately - it's not an error, it's for dramatic effect. The trick is to either make it credible or distract the reader with other details. No one has even questioned these little details that kind of bug me on some level. So far, I'm the only reader who thinks it's absolutely ludicrous. As are half the action-adventure movie plots out there, so what the hell. It's fiction, right? I made it up.

Read enough fiction - particularly fantasy - and you'll realize that whatever nonsense your brain can cook up, a lot of people out there can cook up even stranger, less logical, less reasonable stuff. A lot of people will love it. You don't have to please everyone. Some readers won't like what you write - ever. Big deal. That's why we have so many different genres to choose from. For everything that can be written, there are writers and there are readers who love them.

Do try not to bore the reader with a terribly ordinary story. I mean, you can write about the most mundane things - just make them seem entertaining. The reader is probably looking for some escape from his own mundane things.

Just for grins, the next time your inner editor/critic starts to shut you down, try writing something like this:

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#901222 by Not Available.

or this:

Invalid Item 
#1038150 by Not Available.

Neither of these stories are finished. I'm not likely to finish either of them. But writing them was fun and cathartic. It was good practice. And a good exercise in writing something completely off-the-wall. (I've had numerous requests from readers to finish them, so as silly as they are, there are other people out there - people not related to me, people who've never met me, and people who wouldn't hesitate to say "What a load of crap!" that actually LIKED these stories.)

Stop worrying. Stress less, write more. Don't let your evil inner critic cripple you.

Invalid Item 
#1116533 by Not Available.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
ASIN: 141163103X
Product Type: Book
Amazon's Price: $ 17.07

ASIN: 1411644476
Amazon's Price: $ 16.12
MESSAGE THREAD
Self Doubt · 11-21-06 5:19am
by Witchicus Rex
Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 10:22am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 10:34am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 11:33am
by uniqazdacome
Re: Re: Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 3:14pm
by Liam Jackson
Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 11:20am
by Liam Jackson
Re: Self Doubt · 11-21-06 10:54pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Self Doubt · 11-22-06 5:37am
by Liam Jackson
Re: Self Doubt · 11-22-06 4:38am
by Witchicus Rex
*Star* Re: Self Doubt · 11-22-06 11:15am
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Self Doubt · 11-23-06 1:16am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Self Doubt · 12-20-06 9:25am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1405780