SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1468906
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing · #1185906
Share the stories behind your stories!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 11, 2007 at 4:49pm
Re: this i believe
You should edit your message in the other forum. Although it isn't written using phrases like "Here's some advice...," I think it would make a good entry because I did find some good tips in it...one that stood out to me was a direct and simple thing which describes the way my writing usually happens. I'll borrow some of your words to make my point:

"I have to grab it and go wherever it takes me, hanging on as tightly as possible until it bucks me off battered, bruised, and a little bloody. The best stuff comes when I surrender all control, just close my eyes and enjoy the crap out of the ride."

I think that's a great way of reminding people not to overthink or contrive what they're doing, or to lose sight of the natural flow of a story. It happens with writing music, too. You know you're really onto something when you realize your work seems to be writing itself; almost as if you are one of your future audience, just seeing where it's going next.

I backed out of posting to that contest because I realized I only had one small point to make about writing dialogue (simply say it out loud and you'll know immediately whether or not it's real or believable).

"I believe I wouldn't have it any other way."
I wouldn't either! Actually, if I could change one thing, I would find (or make!) more time to write.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
this i believe · 03-11-07 3:19pm
by girlwhowearsadirtyshirt
*Star* Re: this i believe · 03-11-07 4:49pm
by Heart In Africa

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Heart In Africa.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1468906