*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1501596
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 1, 2007 at 7:25pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unsympathetic & Despicable
He has redeemable traits. It's that balance of having a rather intolerable type of person still have a core that can be redeemed. A mixture of good with the bad. They've developed the character very carefully, given him weaknesses (a bad leg that gives him a lot of pain), a loyalty to his friends (even if he doesn't really like to show it), an honest desire to help people (even if he does it best by healing disease not humans), and a sense of humor (ribald as it sometimes can be).

There is balance there. For everything we don't like about him there is something to like.You mightn't want to hang out at the pub for a beer with him and you might be a bit wary having him as your doctor except you know his track record is brilliant (even if he does make you worse before he makes you better. lol)

With Louise I expect it's the same. While there are many things he does that is despicable there are other traits that redeem him.

Perhaps part of the greatest attraction to readers in cases like these is the hope that no matter how far we fall we can still come back. The majority of humankind believe in some form of spiritual judgement so perhaps these sorts of characters give us that sense that despite all that is wrong or 'bad' with us we aren't doomed.

So far all I've noticed about 'unsympathetic' and 'despicable' characters is that they aren't ALL bad. I guess when it comes to creating a character like that HIS flaws would be the parts that redeem him. A 'good' character has to be a little bad to be best, a 'bad' character has to be a little good. Balance.

And one I needed to discover myself just now actually because the antagonists in my book haven't much 'good' about them and I'm at a point where it would be perfect to find a few redeemable traits. *Smile*

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Unsympathetic & Despicable · 04-30-07 6:21pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Unsympathetic & Despicable · 04-30-07 9:58pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Unsympathetic & Despicable · 05-01-07 12:32am
by Arakun the twisted raccoon
Re: Re: Re: Unsympathetic & Despicable · 05-01-07 11:41am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Unsympathetic & Despicable · 05-01-07 6:41pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unsympathetic & Despicable · 05-01-07 7:00pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unsympathetic & Despicable · 05-01-07 7:19pm
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unsympathetic & Despicable · 05-01-07 7:25pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1501596